sacfxdx

Christmas TC Trombone Choir

Post by sacfxdx »

Too early?
Steve
bwanamfupi

Re: Christmas TC Trombone Choir

Post by bwanamfupi »

I'd be interested. I thought last year's iteration worked pretty well.
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
tmarco97

Post by tmarco97 »

Likewise, I’d love to participate again!
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I'm in!
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

we need to get the ringleaders involved again. Mikebmiller and michaelpilley are you up for this again?
Steve
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Sure, I'm in. Michael did that killer backing track last year that made it very easy to follow. I checked my email and it was Erik Stegall who procured the music, which was a tune off of the Julliard trombone choir's xmas album. If he has any more of those arrangements, that would be great to do again. 12 people is a perfect number to have for this type of video. That gives me 12 4 x 3 windows to use if everybody records in landscape.

I don't know if John Fedchock would have time to play again as he has a pretty busy touring schedule now, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe Jen would play too.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Count me in again, was good fun last year
NuhJuhKuh

Post by NuhJuhKuh »

I’m game!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am working on it aleady with Erik. Stay tuned for further details.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

If you have trouble getting to 12 I'll do it.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK ladies, gents, and bass trombone players, we are all set. Erik has procured the arrangement of the Ellington version of the Nutcracker overture for 8 bones. There are 6 tenor and 2 bass parts. The first tenor part is a screamer - it goes to a high F.

You can look at the music here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

If you want to play, be honest about your abilities and don't sign up for a high part if you don't have the chops. Erik is talking with at least one well known pro player about joining us, so that person will probably handle the lead part.

Last year we ended up with 15 players plus the soloist. 16 would be a good number this time with 2 on a part and also it fits the screen nicely. So take a look at the music and then add your name to the sign up sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Michael Pilley is doing the audio and will prepare the backing track.

We have plenty of time this year as we are staring on Christmas even before Wal-Mart. So take a look at the parts, decide what you want to play, and start practicing. I will post up again when Michael has the backup track ready.

Here is a recording of the tune by the Julliard bone choir.

Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Our guest artist has been confirmed. Carol Jarvis is going to take on the high Fs. Carol is fantastic, so we are off to a good start already.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

Fantastic!
John

Tenor:
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:

Trumpet:
King 600-Bach 7C
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well it looks like we have a quorum already!

By quorum, I mean we have enough to cover all the parts with at least one player. By all means, please still sign up if you want to play.
Last edited by Mikebmiller on Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymcustommusic

Post by Bymcustommusic »

:bassclef: I am in to play any part!
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Bymcustommusic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:26 pm :bassclef: I am in to play any part!
Scroll up for links to music and sign-up sheet
Steve
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Update - I just looked at the sheet again and we have 14 people signed up. I really don't want to go over 16 as my computer might go on strike processing that many video feeds at once. If somebody wants to buy me a Mac Studio, that would be cool. So I went ahead and assigned parts based on what people asked for. To be honest, tenor 2-4 are all in the same range. The all go to high Bb. So we can use one more on T4 and if anybody want to double Carol, we can use one more T1.

So go ahead and check out your part assignment and download your music and start practicing. When Patrick has the backup track ready, we will send that out.
glenp

Post by glenp »

Looks like there’s only one person on Tenor 4. If it’s still open, I’d like to play that part.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK ladies and gents. We have 17 people signed up, so I am going to have to say that we are full at this point. Shawn and Glen got the last 2 slots.

I made a google drive folder for uploads here:

Please read and follow Michael's audio guide, which I am pasting here:

AUDIO guide notes

If you're recording audio separately, please deliver in 24 bit wav. I will be doing a lot of editing on this project, so if you're able to edit your stem to line up with the guide track then that would be much appreciated.

If you're recording on a phone: Check that you're not standing too close to your mic by recording the loudest part of this arrangement and listening back to it with headphones. If it sounds distorted, you're too close.
I'll do my best to catch any distorted tracks as they come through so you can re-record in time if you need to. Best approach is to not overblow, and play softs softer so your range of dynamics is still good.

I understand that sometimes it's impossible to get a single take that you are happy with. I am fine with using separate takes, but please label these clearly and choose which parts you like better for me, otherwise I might not grab your best take.
It is also much more difficult for Mike Miller to have separate videos, so if one of your takes is complete all the way through, that would be nicer for him. I actually usually record all my audio first when I do a video, then do a *mime track so I can concentrate on performing. It's not cheating, it's art!
*mime ie I still play, but I don't care if I miss any notes

The guide track has a two bar count in, and is not a consistent tempo throughout. If you're using a DAW to record, turn your metronome off.
I recommend that you play through this at least twice with the guide track so you can get used to it, especially the speed that it finishes at (22bpm above the start!)

Don't forget that there are multiple people playing your part so don't stress about getting it perfect. I'll be editing timing and tuning, and if the odd note is not great it might not make it into the mix. No one will know! And they'll all think you sound amazing. Just enjoy making the video, smile when you're not playing and remember that people will be watching this to see a performance, so perform!

For the video, please follow these guidelines:

Wear something festive - the cheesier the better. Ugly sweaters and blinking lights are encouraged.

Shoot in LANDSCAPE!!! That mean's your phone/camera is sideways, not up and down.

If you are using an iphone, the default setting is to reverse the video. Please change this so that it does not appear that you are playing left-handed.

If you can use a mic that is better than your phone mic, please do so. Separate audio and video files are OK as long as they sync up.

Shoot so that the camera is on the slide side and not the bell side so that we can see your pretty face.

Don't stand directly in front of a window if you are shooting in daytime as that tends to overexpose the image.

Keep the background in mind. Don't have too much junk in the background.

Don't shoot in 4K even if your camera can do that. The file sizes get huge and it will be rendered in 1080 anyway.

Try to keep your music stand out of the shot.

Here is the video from last year:

Most everybody did a very good job following the guidelines. I have to bust on John for being the least festive guy in the video, even though he was the soloist.

We are not in a rush with this as we are getting a very early start. So take your time and make a good video. I'll ask Michael to post his deadline here.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

For some reason, it won't let me post the link for the guide track correctly. The guide track is in this folder:
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK I heard from Michael. Let's shoot for the end of November to get your videos in. That gives you 6 weeks. If you get tired of your relatives at Thanksgiving, this give you an excuse to tell them you have to go do something!
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

I've offered to do the video edit as well (my PC can handle loads of tracks), so we can accept more people on this project. The more the merrier!
Can I add to the video guide that you try to record in 30 fps (frames per second) please?
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I’m in if there’s room for another.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

deanmccarty wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:06 pm I’m in if there’s room for another.
Just put your name on the sign up sheet. Looks like all the parts have at least 2 people already so just choose whatever part you are comfortable playing
Lamplighter

Post by Lamplighter »

I'm really looking forward to hearing this. I'm afraid playing in it is a bit above my pay grade at this time, but maybe someday!
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:54 pm
deanmccarty wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:06 pm I’m in if there’s room for another.
Just put your name on the sign up sheet. Looks like all the parts have at least 2 people already so just choose whatever part you are comfortable playing
If there are already 2 on a part then that’s cool… hopefully I’ll catch it earlier next year. Or… if someone can’t do it I’m happy to fill in. I could play whatever is needed.

Looking forward to hearing this
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

deanmccarty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:21 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:54 pm

If there are already 2 on a part then that’s cool… hopefully I’ll catch it earlier next year. Or… if someone can’t do it I’m happy to fill in. I could play whatever is needed.

Looking forward to hearing this
Dean - jump on in there. Michael said he can handle lots of tracks on his video.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'll volunteer to double Carol on T1 if you want. High Fs are not an issue for me. Contact me thru the forum and my email at [email protected]
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:22 am I'll volunteer to double Carol on T1 if you want. High Fs are not an issue for me. Contact me thru the forum and my email at [email protected]
Go for it!

I can actually play high F's, but not well enough to want to do it in front of millions of people on YouTube. I was once up to a double high Bb, but then I ran my face into a tree mountain biking and have never gotten that high again.
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

Lamplighter wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:08 pm I'm really looking forward to hearing this. I'm afraid playing in it is a bit above my pay grade at this time, but maybe someday!
Nothing to stop you from picking one of the parts that looks like what you'd like to be able to play, and then working on it with the click track. Even if you don't join this year it's good experience. For the record, Mike does a good job picking playable ensemble music, and the editing covers glitches from folks like me. I suspect the span of skill from super good to amateur hobbyist is a bit unusual. It's definitely something I appreciate. Hopefully you can join next year.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

How do I submit my finished video, and do you want it in actual stereo, or mono (2 track)?
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

See "Audio Guide Notes" up above
John

Tenor:
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:

Trumpet:
King 600-Bach 7C
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

The only problem with getting started so early is that nobody will have thier xmas decorations or tree up yet, so getting a festive background may be more challenging.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I don't see any link to specifically upload audio/video to above Am I missing something?
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

John

Tenor:
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:

Trumpet:
King 600-Bach 7C
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

How is everyone going on getting your parts recorded? Only a few weeks left.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

michaelpilley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:41 am How is everyone going on getting your parts recorded? Only a few weeks left.
Gettin it done this weekend!
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

Matt K wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:45 am
michaelpilley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:41 am How is everyone going on getting your parts recorded? Only a few weeks left.
And appreciating how incredibly helpful the metronome and vocal guidance was on the click track Michael did for us last year. I think "mostly correct" will involve giving Mike some good editing practice.
NuhJuhKuh

Post by NuhJuhKuh »

I played along with the guide-track for the first time today, and looked out some seasonal apparel too! This is the most I’ve practiced a single piece for a very long time :lol: I’ve just about got it I think. Will try to get it recorded in the next week or so.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The guide track doesn't swing the eight notes from 55-60 but the parts don't indicate that return to straight eighths.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

robcat2075 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:49 am The guide track doesn't swing the eight notes from 55-60 but the parts don't indicate that return to straight eighths.
Just play what they play on the track.
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

bwanamfupi wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:17 pm
Matt K wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:45 am

And appreciating how incredibly helpful the metronome and vocal guidance was on the click track Michael did for us last year. I think "mostly correct" will involve giving Mike some good editing practice.
Yes, don't worry too much about getting everything perfect. If you play with a lovely sound and clear articulation, I can fix the timing (and tuning, to some extent)! I'm well versed at polishing the odd turd, but make my life easier by playing it beautifully please :lol:
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I just got my new Sorry I Tooted Christmas trombone sweatshirt from Jennifer Wharton, so I am ready to shoot a video next week.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got my video uploaded tonight. If you want to take a look at it in the uploads folder, you can see how I positioned the camera. And I recorded the video separate from the audio, so I am not wearing headphones in the shot. I recorded the video with the backing track blasting away on my computer speakers, then merged it with the audio I had previosly recorded. That's how Chris Bill and a lot of other youtubers do it. It takes the pressure off of having to get one perfect take. It took me a good 10 starts and stops on the audio to get it pretty close to right.
Last edited by Mikebmiller on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NuhJuhKuh

Post by NuhJuhKuh »

I've just uploaded mine! I managed it in one take, with the backing track in my left ear on my old phone, while recording on my new one... Hope it looks/sounds OK to you Mike, but please let me know if you'd like another take - I've a bit of time on my hands.

Cheers,
Neil
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

NuhJuhKuh wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:52 am I've just uploaded mine! I managed it in one take, with the backing track in my left ear on my old phone, while recording on my new one... Hope it looks/sounds OK to you Mike, but please let me know if you'd like another take - I've a bit of time on my hands.

Cheers,
Neil
Michael Powell is doing the video and audio this time. I am just providing moral support. You video sounds great!
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

Thanks Mike, looks great. Only problem is you recorded it in 24 fps. Can you please rerecord in 30 fps? Otherwise you're going to look like a stop motion figurine!
Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 pm I got my video uploaded tonight. If you want to take a look at it in the uploads folder, you can see how I positioned the camera. And I recorded the video separate from the audio, so I am not wearing headphones in the shot. I recorded the video with the backing track blasting away on my computer speakers, then merged it with the audio I had previosly recorded. That's how Chris Bill and a lot of other youtubers do it. It takes the pressure off of having to get one perfect take. It took me a good 10 starts and stops on the audio to get it pretty close to right.

Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

michaelpilley wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:06 pm Thanks Mike, looks great. Only problem is you recorded it in 24 fps. Can you please rerecord in 30 fps? Otherwise you're going to look like a stop motion figurine!
Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 pm I got my video uploaded tonight. If you want to take a look at it in the uploads folder, you can see how I positioned the camera. And I recorded the video separate from the audio, so I am not wearing headphones in the shot. I recorded the video with the backing track blasting away on my computer speakers, then merged it with the audio I had previosly recorded. That's how Chris Bill and a lot of other youtubers do it. It takes the pressure off of having to get one perfect take. It took me a good 10 starts and stops on the audio to get it pretty close to right.

OK. I thougth most video software could convert on the fly, but I re-rendered in in 30.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Can I presume you want the recording DRY and the abundant reverb is something you will add in post?
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

Yes please, don't add any reverb.
robcat2075 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:21 pm Can I presume you want the recording DRY and the abundant reverb is something you will add in post?

Return to “Performance”