leadpipe stuck

confusedtrombonedude

leadpipe stuck

Post by confusedtrombonedude »

My leadpipe on my Getzen 3047afr isn’t wanting to come out, and i would say I haven’t taken it out for around 4 months.
Any tips for taking it out?
BGuttman

Re: leadpipe stuck

Post by BGuttman »

If you are asking this question, take it to a tech before you do some damage you will regret.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Put a mouthpiece in, use some non-marking (plastic jaw) pliers.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

I have had good luck using a strap wrench to get leadpipes out. That being said, a tech is a much better option than experimenting if you're not sure.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I can't recommend using any kind of wrench. Put a mouthpiece in and twist. If that doesn't work, visit a tech. Better than damaging your horn.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

greenbean wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:05 pm I can't recommend using any kind of wrench. Put a mouthpiece in and twist. If that doesn't work, visit a tech. Better than damaging your horn.
100% agree with this! My Edwards alto leadpipe was stuck - I tried various approaches to remove it. Finally I decided to bring it along on a trip to the factory when I was getting my valve serviced on my tenor. They tried to remove the alto leadpipe and it broke off inside the upper slide. They replaced the pipe and the upper slide at no cost - it would have been on my dime if I had broken it, and a sterling pipe and an upper inner slide would have cost quite a bit, not to mention a slide alignment.

Great service from Edwards too!

Jim Scott
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The best tool I have ever seen for removing leadpipes is this: https://loggerheadtools.com/product/bionic-wrench/

I think I have the 8 inch version.

There is a Sears Craftsman version of the same idea -- which they stole from the inventor, who sued them. Initially he won, but then the decision was reversed by a different judge. I recommend buying this version.

Of course, as with any tool, do not force. If the threads do not come loose easily with the Bionic Wrench, the pipe is probably corroded to the inner slide, in which case you definitely need a tech.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:29 am The best tool I have ever seen for removing leadpipes is this: https://loggerheadtools.com/product/bionic-wrench/

I think I have the 8 inch version.
Listed on Amazon, but "Currently unavailable" !
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:01 pm Listed on Amazon, but "Currently unavailable" !
And the Loggerhead website says back ordered.

Thanks to Sears for screwing an inventor.
https://www.inc.com/leigh-buchanan/main ... spute.html
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have removed 99% of stuck threaded leadpipes with two tools:

*Old large-shank mouthpiece
*Rawhide mallet

Place mouthpiece in leadpipe (to maintain circular shape of collar). Tap on leadpipe collar to “shatter the dirt” that is binding it in the threading. Using the mouthpiece for leverage, try to unscrew the leadpipe. If unsuccessful, repeat the process (many times if needed). When the leadpipe comes out the mouthpiece will likely be stuck in it. Use the rawhide mallet to tap on the collar until the two parts separate.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Maintenance”