1.5g size flat rim mouthpiece suggestion

aftercast

1.5g size flat rim mouthpiece suggestion

Post by aftercast »

Hi, I'm using denis wick heritage 0al on my edwards bass with dual bore slide. It works quite well but sometimes it feels way too much for lighter repertoire/music. I'm thinking on trying 1.5g size(27mm) mouthpiece. I'd like to try something that easy to play, has more punch(edge) in sound. I love 0al's rim contour but might be ok with wider rim. Any recommendations?
Last edited by aftercast on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Re: 1.5g size flat rim mouthpiece suggestion

Post by BGuttman »

If you like the Wick rim, try a 1AL. Still too big? Try a 2AL (or 2NAL, which seems to be pretty popular).

Other 1 1/2 G sizes? Of course the Bach or Faxx 1 1/2 G (duh). Marcinkiewicz 3 (old style) or 1 1/2 G (new style). Schilke 58. There are others, of course.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

27mm with an awesome rim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott

Also Mercer and Barker
aftercast

Post by aftercast »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 pm If you like the Wick rim, try a 1AL. Still too big? Try a 2AL (or 2NAL, which seems to be pretty popular).

Other 1 1/2 G sizes? Of course the Bach or Faxx 1 1/2 G (duh). Marcinkiewicz 3 (old style) or 1 1/2 G (new style). Schilke 58. There are others, of course.
Wick 1al/2al is a great option but i'd like to try shallower cup.

How is Bach 1.5G's rim contour?
I'd played Bach 1.25g and 5g before but they are too round and felt uncomfortable for me.
Last edited by aftercast on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Mr bass brass ark, those are semi flat rims
blast

Post by blast »

Rath B1.5W. A copy of my wide rim MV Bach. Does everything you ask.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 pm If you like the Wick rim, try a 1AL. Still too big? Try a 2AL (or 2NAL, which seems to be pretty popular).
I would second this if you like the Wick Rim. The throat is a little smaller on those two pieces. The 1AL also has an OPEN backbore, while the 0AL and 2AL have a BARREL backbore. Still not sure what the difference is.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:18 am
The 1AL also has an OPEN backbore, while the 0AL and 2AL have a BARREL backbore. Still not sure what the difference is.
Good question. I've never understood the difference between the various Denis Wick mouthpiece backbores ("Barrel", "V-Type", "Medium", "Open"). Can anyone elaborate about their physical characteristics - and the effect on how they play?
[Perhaps this could be a separate thread?]
SquareTube

Post by SquareTube »

I'm very fond of the Ferguson V. I wouldn't call it flat, but I don't think about it, so it must suit me. (Avoids the "falling into the cup" rim profile of the larger Fergusons.)

For me the 0AL seemed to have a long, narrow cup. As in deeper than the rim would match well. Felt quite sonically imbalanced. Add in the open throat and well,....so if you're looking for that blow, take this with a grain of salt.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Ferguson V might actually feel too small. It's on the bright side of 1.5g. It's a mouthpiece I use when I'm on the brink between bass and tenor. You might try the Ferguson L, which is a 1.25g size, but has more bite than other makes.

Also, the mouthpiece can only do so much. A slide that big might be what's making the sound so tubby. Dialing back to a 562 straight might help you get where you're trying to go.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:09 am
tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:18 am
The 1AL also has an OPEN backbore, while the 0AL and 2AL have a BARREL backbore. Still not sure what the difference is.
Good question. I've never understood the difference between the various Denis Wick mouthpiece backbores ("Barrel", "V-Type", "Medium", "Open"). Can anyone elaborate about their physical characteristics - and the effect on how they play?
Barrel means it's concave. Not that it is wider in the middle than at the end of the shank, but that the taper rate is curved, like half a barrel.

V means it is a straight line taper.

Open backbores have more total volume, usually because they move into a bore that is wider to begin with.

Medium is just a word that is used that doesn't mean anything.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 am
Posaunus wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:09 am
I've never understood the difference between the various Denis Wick mouthpiece backbores ("Barrel", "V-Type", "Medium", "Open"). Can anyone elaborate about their physical characteristics - and the effect on how they play?
Barrel means it's concave. Not that it is wider in the middle than at the end of the shank, but that the taper rate is curved, like half a barrel.

Open backbores have more total volume, usually because they move into a bore that is wider to begin with.

Thanks Harrison.
How do all these affect how the mouthpieces play?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:55 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 am

Thanks Harrison.
How do all these affect how the mouthpieces play?
I don't want to give bad info. I used these resources and prototyping when I designed my current mouthpiece, and the vast majority of my piece is lifted from existing mouthpieces:

https://everythingtrumpet.com/gearhead/ ... _size.html

https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/242.htm

Return to “Mouthpieces”