What is the lightest but still stable stand?

harrisonreed

What is the lightest but still stable stand?

Post by harrisonreed »

Title says it all. Wire stands are light but flimsy, and can be blown over by a breeze. I've also tried the kind that sushi rolls up into the music table portion (it looks like a rectangular box when collapsed), which is stable, but they weigh so much that our band wasn't even allowed to check a box of them onto a flight. Seriously, trying to carry even three of them at a time felt like a workout. We had eleven in a box, and it weighed nearly 50kg...

I need a stand that is light, has a large base, and can handle a ring binder full of lots of music. Any ideas?
muschem

Re: What is the lightest but still stable stand?

Post by muschem »

This may not be what you're looking for, but I've had good luck so far with the WoodWindDesign portable stand. I use a configuration with the tablet holder mounted on top (https://woodwinddesign.nl/product/tabletstandaard/), but I believe they also offer traditional stand desks in various sizes to go with the base.

Among the advantages are:
* Light weight (630 grams)
* Very small when collapsed for transport
* Stable

The major issue is cost... they aren't cheap.

The offset four-legged base may not look terribly stable at first glance, but it is. I've used it in a few outdoor concerts this past season - some of which had wind gusts up to 40 mph. My stand remained stable while traditional Manhassets were blowing over (in some cases, damaging neighboring instruments in the process). For extreme wind, I do load the base with sandbags or small iron weight plates, but for light to medium winds, this does fine on its own for me.

It looks like they have a newer version with a disc base (https://woodwinddesign.nl/product/disc-stand-large/), which cuts a cleaner profile, and appears to stack pretty well for transporting several at a time. I don't have experience with stability on that version, but it doesn't look bad.

I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them, but so far, I haven't found a better weight/stability ratio than this.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

How about a "Rat Stand" ? 8.5 pounds including the nylon case with a slot for a music folder. Very substantial and telescopes from the floor to about 5 feet and has a utility tray. Case is 14" X 22" X 3". Dillon's has them at $115.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

2bobone wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:11 pm How about a "Rat Stand" ? 8.5 pounds including the nylon case with a slot for a music folder. Very substantial and telescopes from the floor to about 5 feet and has a utility tray. Case is 14" X 22" X 3". Dillon's has them at $115.
8.5 lbs is way too heavy.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

muschem wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 pm This may not be what you're looking for, but I've had good luck so far with the WoodWindDesign portable stand. I use a configuration with the tablet holder mounted on top (https://woodwinddesign.nl/product/tabletstandaard/), but I believe they also offer traditional stand desks in various sizes to go with the base.

Among the advantages are:
* Light weight (630 grams)
* Very small when collapsed for transport
* Stable

The major issue is cost... they aren't cheap.

The offset four-legged base may not look terribly stable at first glance, but it is. I've used it in a few outdoor concerts this past season - some of which had wind gusts up to 40 mph. My stand remained stable while traditional Manhassets were blowing over (in some cases, damaging neighboring instruments in the process). For extreme wind, I do load the base with sandbags or small iron weight plates, but for light to medium winds, this does fine on its own for me.

It looks like they have a newer version with a disc base (https://woodwinddesign.nl/product/disc-stand-large/), which cuts a cleaner profile, and appears to stack pretty well for transporting several at a time. I don't have experience with stability on that version, but it doesn't look bad.

I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them, but so far, I haven't found a better weight/stability ratio than this.
Those look great but ... $$$$!!!

:weep:
andym

Post by andym »

Hmm. You want something that is light but stable despite having the equivalent of a sail on top. With sailboats there are two choices. Either they are tippy and you have to balance them or they have heavy keels. For a music stand you want the latter. But you want it light.

So I suggest, and I’ve never tried this, get a light stand and then weigh it down with ballast. To make the ballast light and compact use a small dry bag with a roll top (see camping and/or canoeing or kayaking supplies) and fill it with water at the gig. Attach to bottom of stand as works with your stand. End of gig, empty the water and you are back to light weight and compact. While I’ve never done this with a music stand, I have used large dry bags filled with water as ballast when soloing a tandem canoe.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I use a K&M stand made of stainless steel, its much lighter than their standard one. I think they call it 'The Splash' (being rustproof I suppose?). It doesent appear to always be available though - needless to say it is expensive.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:18 pm Check these out:

https://www.descamusic.com/portable-music-stand/
That looks like a vastly lightened version of what I was talking about in my first post. Those look interesting!
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I use the wire Hercules stand quite a lot and I've found it holds up quite well. You can pile it up to a surprising degree. I don't like it as much as the roll up type stand you're referring to, but it holds up well and is much sturdier/more adjustable than the normal wire ones.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 am

That looks like a vastly lightened version of what I was talking about in my first post. Those look interesting!
These are pretty good. This is what I prefer to use for outdoor concerts. Can still tip a little, I have weighed it down by hanging my refillable water bottle that I have anyway on the bottom hook. Bottle has a carabineer, I hang it on the spring.

My wife prefers the Peak stand, it folds similarly but is a little bigger. I haven't compared the weight as that wasn't my primary concern.

Cheers,
Andy
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I got this from the DescaMusic folks. I have a Peak stand but I like the size and weight of this.

I asked about going out of business.

“ Nice to hear from you. We have no plans of going out of business! A few years ago, the original owner and inventor, Bob, decided it was time to retire and sold the business to us. We've been running it since late 2019, aside from a brief period in the pandemic when everything got too crazy. I'm glad our products are still being talked about on the forums. Let us know if you have any questions.”
Steve
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

sacfxdx wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:25 am I got this from the DescaMusic folks. I have a Peak stand but I like the size and weight of this.

I asked about going out of business.

“ Nice to hear from you. We have no plans of going out of business! A few years ago, the original owner and inventor, Bob, decided it was time to retire and sold the business to us. We've been running it since late 2019, aside from a brief period in the pandemic when everything got too crazy. I'm glad our products are still being talked about on the forums. Let us know if you have any questions.”
I just ordered a FHolder from them a few weeks ago; my previous purchases were from Bob. New owners responded quickly to e-mail questions and sent the items out promptly.

Solid recommend for a small company that is just doing a small thing well,
Andy
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I have one of these, and I like it a lot for some applications. Having a heavy folder on the desk is not one of them especially when extended to standing height.

Ingenious design and incredibly light, however.

If you can let me know how much your binder weighs, I'd be glad to try and replicate that and test it out for you.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Use your favorite very light folding stand with the shelf you want, then add weight when you get to the venue. The easy way to do that is to fill a bottle with water and hang it in the middle, off the floor. Empty the jug when done.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

bassclef wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:33 pm

I have one of these, and I like it a lot for some applications. Having a heavy folder on the desk is not one of them especially when extended to standing height.

Ingenious design and incredibly light, however.

If you can let me know how much your binder weighs, I'd be glad to try and replicate that and test it out for you.
It's a 1in binder, full of music in sheet protectors. A couple pounds, I guess. If you're saying it's not good with a heavy folder, then mine probably is in that category.
rabiddolphin

Post by rabiddolphin »

I have the Desca stand, I keep it in my car as a backup since I switched to an iPad. Because its lightweight, heavy binders don't really work, one of the bands I play in had about 200 charts for reference so that book was too heavy.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a bit too heavy. Maybe not for the desk tilt, but definitely for overall stability if you're going to raise it up any higher than its minimum height.
Cas

Post by Cas »

Check out "Peak" collapsable music stands, they are sturdy and ive used mine for years, only weigh about 5 pounds (4.9 to be exact) and are very portable.

im not exactly sure how prices run for music stands but mine has served me for much more than what i bought it for.
here is the link: https://www.peakmusicstands.com/peak-mu ... tand-3mt66
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I've been using the aluminum version of the peak stand for several years. Very steady and only weighs 4lbs. It has held up great (but the carry bag it came in got a tear one of the first times I used it - but hasn't gotten any worse, so I still use it).
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C

Return to “Accessories”