New Greg Black 1G

ttf_anonymous

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_anonymous »

On the recommendation of Gabe Langfur I ordered a GB 1G Regular with a .312 throat and #2 back bore.  Greg confirmed that this will be a standard offering in his catalogue.  This mouthpiece centers very well, has plenty of core, has quick articulations, and is generally easier to play than the standard 1G I had been trying.  I’ve only spent a couple hours on it so far and I'm looking forward to using it this week and weekend for a few things I have coming up.  It is not a huge departure from the GP6 I’ve been using, it does stay darker and more centered in the high range which is a problem I had with the GP6.  I will report back after spending some more time on it.  Thanks Gabe and Greg for the recommendation and working with me to get me this piece.

ttf_Gabe Langfur

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Image Enjoy!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

That is the ticket! Everyone that tried the .312 #2 at TMEA left with it.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I'm not surprised Zach.  I played a church gig, 10 piece gig, and a brass band concert with it this weekend and it really does work well.  Thanks again to Gabe and Greg.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

If I've been very happy with a stock 1 1/8GM, should I try the new version?
ttf_Gabe Langfur

New Greg Black 1G

If you've been very happy? Maybe not. There are certainly people and horns that work very well with Greg's original designs.

If you have any sense that it's needing more air than you really want to give, if you have any feeling like you'd like a little more focus to the pitch center, if you would like the high register to be a little easier and more focused, then yes.

I liked the medium weight with his standard throat and backbore. With these I like to go lighter - regular or custom in between regular and light.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I second everything Gabe mentioned and will add the articulations are a little quicker on this version.
ttf_trombonehawaii

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

Loving this mouthpiece! I just received the medium weight version of the OP and also just came from a Griego GP6. I third the comments of this mouthpiece. I'm very impressed with the response in the upper register, it sings and centers much easier. The lower register has a lot of meat to the sound while still being responsive and flexible.

Thanks to Zac for putting me in touch with Greg!
ttf_slideorama

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_slideorama »

In a blind study, this was the preferred mouthpiece of the three dachshunds that tolerate my noise making in the house.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Been using mine for a couple days.

I like it a lot so far-

Better response, especially at lower dynamics
More highs in the sound- less tubby
Clearer articulations
Better high range, even with larger rim

However, coming from the 1 1/8GM, the new piece will take some getting used to. I can't just dump air at my horn and get volume upon volume, especially down low. A combination of the normal weight and smaller throat, I'm sure. Also, it put my horn a little out of balance- I started using a smaller leadpipe to tame the 1 1/8GM, but it feels a little too small with the 1G .312 #2.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I am using the 2 leadpipe and was using a 3SS before.  Playing loud is easier in one sense because you don't have to work as hard but it does take some adjustment.  As others have said the high range and articulations are easy and there is plenty of core in the sound.  The other thing I've noticed is that I play "pretty" better.  I realize that might mean different things to different people but it's they only way I can think of to describe it.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: Burgerbob on Apr 25, 2017, 09:10PMI started using a smaller leadpipe to tame the 1 1/8GM, but it feels a little too small with the 1G .312 #2.

I did exactly the same thing when I was playing a 1-1/8GM, going to a Shires B1.5 from the B2 I had played for years. The B2 is better with the .312 #2 combination, but now I'm really enjoying the Brass Ark MV50, which feels sort of in between but with a more elastic slot, if that makes any sense.
ttf_CG2198

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_CG2198 »

I have this mouthpiece and I love it, thinking about taking it down to lightweight though.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

Before you take it to lightweight try the "*" weight. It is in between the regular and light and works really well!!
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

So far the normal weight feels great. I played Shostakovich 11 last night and the piece worked everywhere. 11 has some very soft, exposed moment and many loud, exposed moments (and not much in between). The soft stuff was actually possible on the 1G, and the loud stuff was easier.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

As Burgerbob points out this mouth piece does respond in soft dynamics well.  It is easier to blend well in brass band and big band both.  One piece to do both easily is a big bonus.
ttf_trombonehawaii

New Greg Black 1G

I'm on a medium weight and you guys are tempting me to get a regular weight.........
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

I have a 1 1/8G and a 1G coming in .312 #2. I am playing a lot more and I am finally feeling like I can play this larger sized piece.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Apr 29, 2017, 04:56PMI have a 1 1/8G and a 1G coming in .312 #2. I am playing a lot more and I am finally feeling like I can play this larger sized piece.

Let us know what you think.  I predict that you'll like it.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Finally made the switch to my more open slide today. Definitely better with the smaller backbore and throat.

Funnily enough, it was the Brassark NY50 that feels too tight.
ttf_bigbassbone1

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Burgerbob on May 03, 2017, 03:49PMFinally made the switch to my more open slide today. Definitely better with the smaller backbore and throat.

Funnily enough, it was the Brassark NY50 that feels too tight.

Damn.... really? Might not be for me then.... Im very happy with how my brassark pipe is going.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

You're on an Eddie dual bore though, not a stock "who knows how well this was built in the first place" Bach slide. I'm sure the NY50 would feel better to me on a different slide.
ttf_bigbassbone1

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Burgerbob on May 03, 2017, 06:24PMYou're on an Eddie dual bore though, not a stock "who knows how well this was built in the first place" Bach slide. I'm sure the NY50 would feel better to me on a different slide.

Ha! Didn't think of it like that. Thats a good bach slide description  Image
ttf_wgwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Apr 29, 2017, 04:56PMI have a 1 1/8G and a 1G coming in .312 #2. I am playing a lot more and I am finally feeling like I can play this larger sized piece.

Didn't you have Greg make a special mouthpiece for you that was THE piece?
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

Yep and that is what I still prefer Image. I am just not a bigger mp guy.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I have found over the years that "THE" mouthpiece is only "THE" mouthpiece until something that plays better comes along.
ttf_wgwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on May 04, 2017, 08:56AMYep and that is what I still prefer Image. I am just not a bigger mp guy.

Yes but you stated that you have 2 bigger mouthpieces that what you play on order. Why waste the money? Or is your in between size larger than a 1???
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

I bought them...got them, and didn't like them as much as my 1 5/16ths... Was that hard to understand via the context?
I wanted to try a good bigger mp and see if it worked. It didn't. So I sold them. I lost no money in the deal.
ttf_wgwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Unless I misunderstood here's what I got. First you spent time with Greg making a piece specifically for your needs as he didn't offer anything in his mouthpiece line that would fit your chops. You received the mouthpiece, sent it back for an adjustment, received and back and proclaimed that it was just what you wanted! Did all that was needed. THEN you order 2 more mouthpieces of different sizes to "check them out." If I have the sequence correct that just seems puzzling to me. Not a big deal just always curious when one proclaims to have THE horn or THE mouthpiece only to find out they've been checking out other things.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

This is why I was trying something new....
ttf_Gabe Langfur

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 05, 2017, 09:31AMNot a big deal just always curious when one proclaims to have THE horn or THE mouthpiece only to find out they've been checking out other things.

Seems like the owners of MV 1-1/2Gs are always checking out other things too... Image
ttf_Joe Stanko

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Joe Stanko »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on May 05, 2017, 07:41PMSeems like the owners of MV 1-1/2Gs are always checking out other things too... Image

Yet like the swallows to Capistrano....
ttf_wgwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on May 05, 2017, 07:41PMSeems like the owners of MV 1-1/2Gs are always checking out other things too... Image
Touché. However if I'd taken the time to design a mouthpiece and proclaim it to be the one I'm not sure I'd try something outside of that range.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I've got a shelf full of mouthpieces that were "the one"! Such is life - it's only money. It's not like I have any of that anyway! The search continues!

Jim Scott
ttf_SethMatrix

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

Why are some people so concerned with what other people are doing? We should worry about ourselves.
ttf_wgwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: SethMatrix on Yesterday at 10:18 AMWhy are some people so concerned with what other people are doing? We should worry about ourselves.

I'm very concerned about you.  Image
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

I didn't know that my proclamations were so important. Remind me to keep my mouth shut.
ttf_blast

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_blast »

Not all of them  Image
There is a difference between a great mouthpiece and THE mouthpiece... I've been lucky enough to own many great mouthpieces and now I'm stuck on THE mouthpiece.
It owns me as much  as I own it.

Chris Stearn
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

Right now of the 50 plus models of mouthpieces I own this Greg Black is THE mouthpiece.  I had a Mt. Vernon 1 1/2G back in the day that I loaned to someone and never got it back (sure wish I could remember who).  I remember that it was different than the other two that I had but it was never THE mouthpiece for me.  With that said, we all certainly do evolve as players and many times with that evolution comes changes in equipment.  No matter how you find THE mouthpiece don't limit yourself by refusing to try anything else as you may miss something that lets you make music easier.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Playing the 1G in all sorts of situations lately, including my recital prep (1 week from today!). So far, and of course it's too soon to tell, I'm having a hard time finding any real downsides like I have with my last few pieces. The high range is more natural, the low range is more natural, and my sound blends with tenors to a higher level (just played a few hours with the quartet this weekend).

Can't wait for those downsides to crop up Image
ttf_CG2198

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_CG2198 »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Apr 28, 2017, 07:20PMBefore you take it to lightweight try the "*" weight. It is in between the regular and light and works really well!!

I'll have to ask him about that, I'm going to be driving up to his shop in a couple weeks.
ttf_fwbassbone

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

In the spirit of full discloser I have gone back to the Griego GP6.  The Greg Black is a great mouthpiece but for me I like the rim and middle register on the GP6 more.  Certainly either is worth a look if you're in the market for a new piece.
ttf_Burgerbob

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I'm still using mine. It is only getting better with practice. I can get a good snap out of it in all registers when needed, but not if I don't want. That's hard to find in the average piece.
ttf_trombonehawaii

New Greg Black 1G

I've moved into a 0GM, .312", #2. Never thought I'd be able to play a large piece but it works for me without much sacrifice (or nothing that practice can't restore  Image )
ttf_anonymous

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Can somebody tell me how I can get one of these bad boys?
ttf_HouBassTrombone

New Greg Black 1G

^contact Dillon, Virtosity (in Boston), or one of his other dealers to see if they have one in stock. If not contact Greg or me if you can't get a hold of him and I will get it ordered for you.
Facebook is a good way to contact him.
I think he just shipped a bunch of stuff to Dillons and Virtosity for ITF.
ttf_jwebster

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_jwebster »

I got a regular weight 1G .312" #2 and a regular weight 1 1/4 .312 #2 on trial a week ago (I've been playing a Pickett 1.75 recently, and played a Minick L before that).

While I realize that no mouthpiece will be the magic mouthpiece that will fix all of my problems, I am a BIG fan of the 1G.

I always liked the sound of standard Greg Black pieces, but never felt I was able to supply the air to fuel these and make them sound right consistently (and I am a big guy... 6'4"). The .312"/#2 combo seems to maintain the Greg Black sound I love while also not requiring quite the same volume of air to get consistent results.

The 1 1/4G is also very nice, but I think I'll be sticking with the 1G.

I strongly second the recommendation to check out Virtuosity in Boston. Really nice store, and Steve the owner is a great guy I am happy to support. When I called a week ago, all of the larger Greg Black mouthpieces they had were .312"/#2.

ttf_Gabe Langfur

New Greg Black 1G

Quote from: jwebster on May 30, 2017, 08:35PMI always liked the sound of standard Greg Black pieces, but never felt I was able to supply the air to fuel these and make them sound right consistently (and I am a big guy... 6'4"). The .312"/#2 combo seems to maintain the Greg Black sound I love while also not requiring quite the same volume of air to get consistent results.
My experience exactly.

QuoteI strongly second the recommendation to check out Virtuosity in Boston. Really nice store, and Steve the owner is a great guy I am happy to support. When I called a week ago, all of the larger Greg Black mouthpieces they had were .312"/#2.

Yes, Steve Johnson and his crew at Virtuosity are making the effort and investing the money to do it right, with good, well-chosen stock and excellent customer service. Now that Rayburn has closed their retail store (I believe they still do school rentals out of a warehouse), Virtuosity is the only place in the city of Boston to buy brass instruments and accessories. They carry Bach, Conn and Edwards new, and have a pretty good used stock as well (though it's impossible to compete with Dillon's on that front). You still have to go to the factory to try any new Shires, but that's just an hour outside the city.

And they just placed a second order with Greg  Image

ttf_Dan Hine

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

From a Pickett 1.75 to a Black 1g?  That's a huge jump.  Not sure I could handle such a move.   Image
ttf_Matt K

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 31, 2017, 06:28AMFrom a Pickett 1.75 to a Black 1g?  That's a huge jump.  Not sure I could handle such a move.   Image

You may be surprised! A big rim with an efficient underpart doesn't always feel big, at least to me.  I mixed up an MB111 with my EUPH104N last night (played the 111 thinking it was the 104) because of how efficiently the Elliott underpart works for me.  YMMV of course!

Return to “Mouthpieces”