Re: screw bell case roundup

Post by jba49 »

I have a NOS Holton Tenor screwbell case available for sale

Can send photos if you are interested

Jon Bone
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

I just got a Marcus Bonna jazz screw bell case. It is indeed very small, although still not as thin as a Holton flat case. Also looks to be very well made.
I may be able to fit my Bach 42 in it - 8 1/2 inch bell flare is very very tight. But since my 42 and 36 have the same screw collar, I could travel with my Bach 42 with the 8 inch flare from the 36.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

jacobgarchik wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:01 am I just got a Marcus Bonna jazz screw bell case. It is indeed very small, although still not as thin as a Holton flat case. Also looks to be very well made.
I may be able to fit my Bach 42 in it - 8 1/2 inch bell flare is very very tight. But since my 42 and 36 have the same screw collar, I could travel with my Bach 42 with the 8 inch flare from the 36.
I've been looking at that one too for a future 3b. I can't decide if I want to get the jazz case or the one where the slide compartment can detach from the bell (link below). I almost feel like you could put your slide in the overhead compartment and put your bell at your feet on an airplane. Or split them up in different overheads if need be.

http://mbcases.com.br/en/products/tenor ... bell-mb-2/
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Not a fan of the seperate slide case. Don't want to get into a situation where I'm arguing with the flight crew over whether or not it's two cases or one. Plus the length isn't really an issue with overheads, it's the width, and these two cases strike me as the same width as a single case.
disco

Post by disco »

I would like pics of the Holton case.

[email protected]
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
Conn 8HCL Detachable Bell Boneyard Conversion
Conn 8HT Boneyard Axial Conversion
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Usually I hate to revive an old thread, but I feel like this belongs. Just bought this case for $39.99 from amazon (usually $69.99 but I had a gift card). It came with this very dense interior foam which is perforated so you can pull out custom chunks, but also cuts easily with a razor blade.

It’s a Plano 36” rifle case. A little bulky, but decently lightweight much easier to play tetris with in a packed car. Still thinking about cutting a mouthpiece and/or accessory hole in the middle.

What do you guys think?

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Not sure why your images don't load -- I was able to see them by "quoting" your post and hand-pasting the image URLs into my browser.

Very interesting idea.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 pm Not sure why your images don't load -- I was able to see them by "quoting" your post and hand-pasting the image URLs into my browser.
Here you go:
https://imgur.com/a/v6QIGjd
https://imgur.com/a/ZZg6c33
https://imgur.com/a/nhz9c6o

It's because imgur links don't point to the image file itself, and they deliberately make directly linking outside of their embeddable viewer unreliable on certain browsers...

Anyway, like the case. Peli 1700 or iM3100 would probably be worth the extra cost if you need flight-grade protection (remember when planes were a thing?) but this looks great for the price.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Looks sturdy enough. Yes, you should carve a recess for mouthpieces / accessories. (Store them in some sort of protective pouch.)
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Here's a new one from Bags of Spain.

https://musical-bags.com/en/new-products/

tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

TromboneSam wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:20 pm Usually I hate to revive an old thread, but I feel like this belongs. Just bought this case for $39.99 from amazon (usually $69.99 but I had a gift card). It came with this very dense interior foam which is perforated so you can pull out custom chunks, but also cuts easily with a razor blade.

It’s a Plano 36” rifle case. A little bulky, but decently lightweight much easier to play tetris with in a packed car. Still thinking about cutting a mouthpiece and/or accessory hole in the middle.

What do you guys think?
Hate (love) to open up a big can of worms, but I think it needs to be said. Do you really want to be going about town with a rifle case? Getting on the subway, a plane, with one? Going into schools? I think it's reasonable to assume, most people are going to know what a rifle case looks like. Maybe you know already these aren't the situations you would put yourself in or don't mind the extra questions and attention, but I know I would.

Fun way to counteract this would be to get a nice case cover with backpack straps and all the other accoutrements. Altieri already does this for bassoon cases, I've always thought that would be a good option.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

just paint a big trombone on it and you're good to go.
a lot of the rectangular gun cases look like keyboard cases.
Elow

Post by Elow »

After bringing my marco magi screw bell case to school, i have rethought buying that case. All four of my schools officers have stopped and asked to see what’s inside
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

weird. There are lots of rectangular cases, not too different in size from a screw bell case. Viola, bassoon, bass clarinet, compact bass guitars. I wonder if all of them get stopped by security. Maybe shoulder straps or certain stylistic markers would help.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

jchiang9 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:21 pm If anybody is curious, a 16" Viola case is just big enough/long enough to fit a trombone slide! I got a cheap Viola case and modified it for my screw bell tenor. I'll get around to making a better looking bell cover at some point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtAMjrY5D5Ck4MgF6
The only problem with that is someone might mistake you for a viola player!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have a Lawler gig bag I will sell fairly cheap. I rarely take the bell flare off, so I just use a regular case for it. At least I did back when I used to leave the house with a horn occasionally.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Does anyone here have measurements for the Bonna screw tenor case? Trying to compare it to the Bags of Spain, their's are 92x30x14 cm.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

tombone21 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:56 pm Does anyone here have measurements for the Bonna screw tenor case? Trying to compare it to the Bags of Spain, their's are 92x30x14 cm.
I don't have the exact measurements with me, but I remember checking when the BoS came out and the Bona is slightly smaller, on all dimensions if I remember correctly. Can give exact ones tomorrow if desired
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

mbarbier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm
I don't have the exact measurements with me, but I remember checking when the BoS came out and the Bona is slightly smaller, on all dimensions if I remember correctly. Can give exact ones tomorrow if desired
Knowing exactly how much smaller it is would seriously help a lot, thanks!
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

tombone21 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Knowing exactly how much smaller it is would seriously help a lot, thanks!
according to the Hickeys site it's 88x25.4x15.25, but I measured mine and came up with 86.5x24.2x13.9. not totally sure why there's a lot of difference, but hope that helps!
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Wow, good to know. Smaller than the Bags in every way then. Also worth noting that I was quoted at around $555 USD not including shipping with a 1 week wait time if buying directly from the factory.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

yea I was totally surprised by the dimensions given how unbelievably small their alto/tenor case that I've got is. But the build quality on the Bona case I've got is just massively superior to the BoS case I've got. I really like the double case, it's just... worrying to travel with.
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

mbarbier wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 pm yea I was totally surprised by the dimensions given how unbelievably small their alto/tenor case that I've got is. But the build quality on the Bona case I've got is just massively superior to the BoS case I've got. I really like the double case, it's just... worrying to travel with.
I totally hear you there, being a past owner of a BoS double case as well. Seems that the price of the Bonna is worth the peace of mind the build quality gives the owner.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

This is another one, from Estuches Jonny Villena in Peru.
133049005_4013861258664525_1385524703202842034_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have not ventured into screw bell cases very much for my own instruments. I see them occasionally when horns come into my shop and I have a 1980s Holton TR256 that came with a screw bell hard case.

I have not seen a Marcus Bonna screw bell case (the type where the bell and the slide are in the same compartment) come through yet. From the photos I see, it looks like the slide and bell section could easily collide with each other. Can some people let me know if those work well? The two-piece MB cases obviously eliminate that issue.....I'm wondering if the one-piece cases had problems and they had to produce a new style of case to avoid self-inflicted instrument injuries.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:07 pm
I have not seen a Marcus Bonna screw bell case (the type where the bell and the slide are in the same compartment) come through yet. From the photos I see, it looks like the slide and bell section could easily collide with each other. Can some people let me know if those work well? The two-piece MB cases obviously eliminate that issue.....I'm wondering if the one-piece cases had problems and they had to produce a new style of case to avoid self-inflicted instrument injuries.

I've got one and the seperation is good- the paddle for the valve doesn't feel too close to the slide or anything. I've got a pretty narrow slide (medium bore Conn) and found that the slide compartment is more geared towards large bore slides. I added an extra bit of Velcro strap to lock it in place and remove the wiggle it had, but that was mostly for peace of mind. I flew with it a ton before that addition and had to problems.

I *think* their two part one was designed in conjunction with Peter Steiner to just try and get it a bit smaller and give the seperation option when traveling.
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Thanks Matt. It sounds like the MB one-piece case is a lot like my Holton hard case for the screw bell TR256. People look at it and say “that case looks look it will definitely make the instrument dent itself.” Yet, some 30 years later, not so much as a dent or scratch. It sounds like the MB is well designed.

I cannot say the same about the BAM cases. So far this summer, I have had four people come in for slide repairs because the instrument dented itself in a BAM case. Slick, cool design…..yes. Protective…..no.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Maybe already mentioned above, in that case I missed it:
Marcus Bonna also has a “baby” detachable bell case. Looks very compact. Does anyone have any experiences with it? How does it compare to Bonnas regular detachable bell case?
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Chatname wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:18 am Maybe already mentioned above, in that case I missed it:
Marcus Bonna also has a “baby” detachable bell case. Looks very compact. Does anyone have any experiences with it? How does it compare to Bonnas regular detachable bell case?
I was literally JUST checking that out online. My concern is that the bell area looks kind of short, and on an open wrap horn you may have to pull the valve slides to get it to fit. Between the two, I’m thinking I’ll go with the original MB style.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

The pads look like they should be moveable, so an open wrap might work?? My valve is a dual bore Shires, looks like it might work. I cannot find a price for it as a comparison to the original, did you find any?
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

I found one on the Hickey’s site for $499, and was looking at the photos on the Marcus Bonna website.

Here’s a link to the case at Hickey’s:
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... cover-.php
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

Thank you!
I see, you’re looking for a bass case.
I was looking at this, for tenor.

https://mbcases.com/portfolio/cases/tro ... mbone-baby
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Ooh, that MB baby case for detachable bell is new! I wish they had a bass version listed.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

I suppose it’s highly likely there will soon be a bass baby case as well. Maybe send them an email?
I think I’ll go for this one!
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

not sure what's going on here, they list a screw bell case but no pics.
Anybody seen one of these in the flesh?

https://glenncronkhite.com/product/scre ... mbone-case
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

Who was making Sierman's cases?

Also, my instrument was stolen from my vehicle recently. I've been borrowing a former student's screw bell shires as he's on tour with a DCI corps. His instrument is only a year old but has significant damage including slide tube wonkiness that doesn't seem explainable by a single sudden impact etc. Took it to a tech as a courtesy for letting me use it and she noted that there was a lot of flex in the Marcus Bonna screw bell case where the slide is held. Anyone have issues with or observations about this?
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Molefsky wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:47 pm she noted that there was a lot of flex in the Marcus Bonna screw bell case where the slide is held. Anyone have issues with or observations about this?
I can't say I've noticed any issues. The slide floats a little bit, it's not held against the outside of the case at the crook end, so I don't know how the case could do much to the slide. It can move a bit, I guess that could be the issue... I keep a Shires slide in mine with no problems though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

It's entirely possible the flexy fiberglass could warp the slide in an odd way. It happened to my Shires while keeping it in a bags of Spain double case. I doubt the actual design of the Bonna case is faulty, but maybe if you try to carry a computer in the music pouch or leave the horn inside the open case for a long period of time the fiberglass could warp?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I use rigid (wood) or semi-rigid (structural foam) cases to avoid these problems.
My tech says gig bags are his best friends!
asmith

Post by asmith »

tombone21 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:02 pm It's entirely possible the flexy fiberglass could warp the slide in an odd way. It happened to my Shires while keeping it in a bags of Spain double case. I doubt the actual design of the Bonna case is faulty, but maybe if you try to carry a computer in the music pouch or leave the horn inside the open case for a long period of time the fiberglass could warp?
The fiberglass on the Marcus Bonna cases is not really all that flexible. Their cases are pretty stiff. But if you are really worried about it, they offer carbon fiber which is stiffer.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

I'm not sure how subjective/objective we're being when we describe stiffness but on the bone I can casually flex it with one hand. I would imaging if a student has been wedging the horn in a locker/trunk/dorm room, especially in the same position, over and over that you could get this kind of damage. Even the gig bags I have make use of much more rigid material for the slide compartment. I think it's a really neat case but I think this is an issue I'd consider significant enough to mention to others.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

For what it’s worth, I just received a Marcus Bonna tenor trombone screw bell case. It looks like a slightly long violin case and fits on my back comfortably.

Getting the pads right and fitting the instrument took a little time but it seems pretty secure now. The case has some flex in the top side, where the slide rests. I don’t think it would be an issue carrying the case and putting it in the over head bin, but I’m not sure I’d want to check it in baggage.

Overall, I’m satisfied with the case, I’ll fly internationally Tuesday so hopefully I can carry it on board.

John
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

Any thoughts on the Marco Magi screw bell cases?

How about bass/tenor double screwbell cases?
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
muschem

Post by muschem »

Molefsky wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:04 pm Any thoughts on the Marco Magi screw bell cases?
I have the Marco Magi that came with my Shires Ralph Sauer model. It has been back and forth with me to a few gigs and rehearsals over the past few months. It seems well constructed, and it is holding up well so far. My only minor quibble is in the lack of flexibility on the slide compartment. I can fit my Shires 525/547 slide just fine. My Edwards 525 and 547/562 slides fit ok, there isn’t much room at the margins. My .508 Butler slide doesn’t fit over the middle posts. I haven’t measured my Butler slide ID between top/bottom tubes, but I doubt it’s very far off most other small bore slides.

I am in the process of having a custom carbon fiber case built for my Butler C10. Manning Custom is doing the work (http://manningcustom.com/) on that. We’re basing the build off of the Marco Magi case dimensions, with some minor modifications that will allow the top half of the case to fit two slides instead of just one. Manning uses a different slide securing mechanism, so small bore/narrower slides shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll post pics when I have the completed case.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The Shires Marco Magi case is great for fitting a Shires Screw bell; I have the bass version. I also don't like the slide compartment. Not flexible to other slides, not a huge fan of how it holds them.

I'm intrigued to do something different, maybe a 2-piece case using some standard bits (like a quiver case or something for the slide and another standard size box for the bell section). But... I'm too cheap and lazy for the most part.

Cheers,
Andy
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

My new instrument is set to come with a Marco Magi case but I think I'll pick up the Gard screw bell case for it.

The Wiseman cases for standard bells are well thought out and for a few hundred more dollars you can have a tracking device built into it. I spoke to Howard at ITF and he seemed more than willing to construct screw bell cases.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

It is possible that the new Gard Elite 21C-ESK is the smallest trombone case available now?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFK2Y-LuAh/

If not, which one would be?
asmith

Post by asmith »

alberttrombone wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:15 am It is possible that the new Gard Elite 21C-ESK is the smallest trombone case available now?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFK2Y-LuAh/

If not, which one would be?
Fwiw, the Gard is more similar to Marcus Bonna MB2 (with the detachable slide case) in size.

Probably the MB Detachable Jazz trombone case for straight horns. Although the new "Baby" Detachable Tenor case looks to be pretty small.

I personally like the price of the Gard, but have some concern about the flexibility of the slide pocket on some of the earlier Gard cases that came with the A47XPS. Although I know that Abi's team is constantly improving their cases with feedback from dealers and the community.
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

Also the price of the Gard is way more affordable than de Marcus Bonna...
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

The smallest cases I believe are the Lawler soft case and the Holton flat case.

Return to “Accessories”