Scammer in the forum be careful

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
Tbone00

Scammer in the forum be careful

Post by Tbone00 »

His name is Dale Casey [email protected]

Some days ago I posted in classifieds WTB a laskey 57md, he contacted me few hours later.
when I asked him some question about the mouthpiece , he didn't answer me and when I asked for some photos he sent me old photos taken from the internet and this forum. Be careful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tbone00 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tbone00

Re: Scammer in the forum be careful

Post by Tbone00 »

This photo taken from reverb. It's not even the same mouthpiece
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Exact same thing happened to me but with a Bonna case. Same name too.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

He is obviously on a rampage.. Happen to me too... Asked him some questions and away he went!
Tbone00

Post by Tbone00 »

I'm going to send this post to him. Let's see if he stops bothering people.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Not only mouthpieces..........
The Internet has become a risky place to buy things.
I got burned once, and my wife got burned once.
How ?
A scammer will copy and paste a seller's ad for a product onto his own software. The ad will look 100% legitimate because it is an accurate copy of the original. In my case, both ads were supposedly from very well respected big-name U.S. retailers. The scam was smooth. We purchased with a credit card, they emailed a confirmation, and even a shipping tracking number that allowed tracking the shipment day by day. Of course, the merchandise never arrived, and the company contact information in the ad was bogus.
So, we contacted the legitimate sellers directly. They were both aware of the scammers, and were frustrated that despite their best legal efforts, they couldn't touch the scammers because the scams originated in another country.
The next step was to immediately call the credit card company and stop payment for the scammed merchandise.
The credit card company was also well aware of this scam, but there was another wrinkle. The scammers couldn't care less about the value of the bogus merchandise. What they were really after was the credit card information, which they now had. The credit cards were immediately cancelled, and new cards issued, which took several days. This caused another problem because open payments to legitimate vendors via those cancelled cards were now stopped also. (One payment happened to be to the IRS. ^%#&^% !!! ). All this drama eventually had a happy ending, but it was a royal PITA. Caveat Emptor.
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

There’s another scammer who uses [email protected] as an email address. I was stupid and only admit this in hopes that no one else will fall prey.

He/she is obviously registered here because that was the only he/she would’ve know I was looking for something and have access to my address. When I checked the email address, I found out that the same address had been used in scamming other forums similar to trombone chat.
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

Another one: Look out for Jeff Moss [email protected]
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Hey all, if you do see something suspicious, you can feel free to email me directly. I don't always see stuff like this. Frankly, there's not much I can do but I do promise that if its brought to my attention I will investigate.

Also, please please please do what you can to reasonably protect yourself. I always recommend using a medium that has buyer protection like PayPal (NOT F&F). I go out of my way to always tack on the extra 2.6% or whatever when I make a purchase so the seller doesn't have to eat the cost.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 am ... PayPal (NOT F&F). I go out of my way to always tack on the extra 2.6% or whatever when I make a purchase so the seller doesn't have to eat the cost.

:good:
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

Matt K wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 am Hey all, if you do see something suspicious, you can feel free to email me directly. I don't always see stuff like this. Frankly, there's not much I can do but I do promise that if its brought to my attention I will investigate.

Also, please please please do what you can to reasonably protect yourself. I always recommend using a medium that has buyer protection like PayPal (NOT F&F). I go out of my way to always tack on the extra 2.6% or whatever when I make a purchase so the seller doesn't have to eat the cost.
Just letting people know so that they don’t waste their time with this individual. After an internet search, it was easy to see that he’s doing this across other forums as well. Also was hoping that by posting it here other people searching his email in Google might come across it.
JazzDoc

Post by JazzDoc »

I have an offer to sell a MV Bach 12 to me from Jeff Moss. I have several pictures of the horn, but the names are not standard (lots of random characters), and the metadata is all gone. Obviously sending him cash prior to getting the horn is not wise. Why was he listed as a possible scammer?
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

JazzDoc wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:08 pm I have an offer to sell a MV Bach 12 to me from Jeff Moss. I have several pictures of the horn, but the names are not standard (lots of random characters), and the metadata is all gone. Obviously sending him cash prior to getting the horn is not wise. Why was he listed as a possible scammer?
Google his email, and you'll see why. [email protected]
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

phpbb, by default, doesn't expose users emails to users before they are considered a "complete" member. You can configure the site to transition to a "complete" member in sevearl ways we have ours set up so that one of the admins must confirm two posts by the person. At that point, they can communicate with members of the forum via PM as well as see the emails. I'm wondering if I shouldn't raise that number a little higher. It wouldn't be fool proof, and would be a little annoying for actual new users, but might require a little extra work at appearing legitimate before potentially spammers can see the complete address book.

Reason I mention it is in this case, clearly what has happened is either 1) people are putting their email address in plain text in the ad or 2) someone has joined the forum, made two seemingly reasonable posts and then is using a different email address to contact people from. The forum has no one registered with that email. I suppose a 3rd possibility that I think is slightly less likely given they are also doing this to military equipment forums is they are actually a contributing member doing shady stuff anonymously.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Matt K wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 am Hey all, if you do see something suspicious, you can feel free to email me directly. I don't always see stuff like this. Frankly, there's not much I can do but I do promise that if its brought to my attention I will investigate.

This is outstanding advice. There is so much fraud now rampant on the internet. One additional step that I take is to lock my credit files with the credit bureaus. Apart from these small steps there is not a lot we can do, sadly. :idea:
bubblelord

Post by bubblelord »

He's still active, emailed me out if the blue claiming to have a markey 87 to sell and sent me pics of the giddings markey piece. Same email address.
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

TheConnsequence

Post by TheConnsequence »

Just got an email from Casey. Mistakenly responded before checking here first. Too bad the 1662i he "has" isn't real. Thank you for having this page.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Another one from "Dale Casey"
Dale Casey [email protected]

Hello here, you can reach out to me, I have the Bach 42/36 Tuning Slide. You can get back to me here if you’re interested.
Thanks.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I posted yesterday is classifieds for a bonna case and last night I received a "reach out to me" email with very vague language

I'm actually stringing him along at the moment and quite enjoying it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm based in Europe and he's in Louisiana but I'm tempted to tell him that a member of this forum lives nearby and will collect the case for me and do the shipping
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've gotten his address for a local pick up, anyone living near?

5012 W MAIN ST
HOUMA, LA 70360-4900
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

Dale is still hanging out here. I posted looking for a couple of mouthpieces. Didn't answer my questions and sent me photos of the "wrong" mouthpiece. I suspected something not being kosher and said I would pay via PayPal for the other mouthpiece, but not as much as he wanted. He said he didn't have PayPal due to some "problems" ... so ended it.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

musicofnote wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:09 am Dale is still hanging out here. I posted looking for a couple of mouthpieces. Didn't answer my questions and sent me photos of the "wrong" mouthpiece. I suspected something not being kosher and said I would pay via PayPal for the other mouthpiece, but not as much as he wanted. He said he didn't have PayPal due to some "problems" ... so ended it.
Same here regarding PayPal he wanted to be paid via zelle, Apple pay or Vemno to which I refused to which he replied that I could use PayPal through his cousin :amazed: :???: yeah right!!

I got him down in price from 400 to 275 which no-one would usually agree to if there was an actual item.

What surprised me is that when I asked for his address as I had family in Louisiana he actually gave me an address, whether it checks out is another thing!!

I'm actually having fun dragging him along..........
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In case you couldn't guess, there's nothing at that address. It's between a school and a medical building.
Google Maps is your friend.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:26 am In case you couldn't guess, there's nothing at that address. It's between a school and a medical building.
Google Maps is your friend.
Perhaps that's where homeless Dale pitches his tent on weekend nights?
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

Got an email from him a few days ago about a Shires gooseneck. I must admit, he doesn't give up easily.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

mcphatty00 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:28 am Got an email from him a few days ago about a Shires gooseneck. I must admit, he doesn't give up easily.
He will if you say paypal only and ask him if it's a scam when he comes up with a lame excuse
JKBone

Post by JKBone »

Here’s another couple of scammers (possibly the same people??)

[email protected]
[email protected]
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

[email protected]

Offered me a Shires gooseneck. Seemed confused when I asked for a serial number immediately after sending a photo. Said he'd have to wait until he was near it.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

mcphatty00 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:10 am [email protected]

Offered me a Shires gooseneck. Seemed confused when I asked for a serial number immediately after sending a photo. Said he'd have to wait until he was near it.
I also just got an email from this one, about a WTB I posted months ago for a method book.

The real Todd Boehly is a multimillionaire part-owner of several sports franchises. This person has listed their display name as “hi.” I was wondering if I was about to see this address on one of these “scammer” threads…
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have nobody in the member listing with that e-mail ([email protected])
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

JKBone wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:24 pm Here’s another couple of scammers (possibly the same people??)

[email protected]
[email protected]
I had Billy Hargrove on email all day trying to sell be a bonna case. I asked him for his name on here and he said Gribnes...... I looked him up and apparantly Gribnes' real name is Jerry Hyman, When I confronted Billy about this he said that was also his name. He said he was driving his truck and had the bonna case with him to send as soon as I paid (was almost comical :lol: ) I expected a scammer to be a little more intelligent :shuffle: This guy was too easy!!

His email address was different than his paypal email and when I asked him he didn't know why :idk: :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joshua Vickers is apparantly called Donald Gale and he has no idea someone with the name Joshua Vickers is emailing me even though it's Donald answering Joshua's emails :good: :lol:

Joshua/Donald doesn't have a paypal account apparantly his accountant advised him to ditch it after he was hacked but he could use his cousin's account :idea: :tongue:

The next one is Toby Hung, he emailed me this morning, I replied but he's yet to get back to me. At least his name matches his email address.

It's the first time I've posted a WTB in the classifieds, the offers are terrible but very entertaining :good:
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

BoomtownRath wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:06 am
JKBone wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:24 pm Here’s another couple of scammers (possibly the same people??)

[email protected]
[email protected]
I had Billy Hargrove on email all day trying to sell be a bonna case. I asked him for his name on here and he said Gribnes...... I looked him up and apparantly Gribnes' real name is Jerry Hyman, When I confronted Billy about this he said that was also his name. He said he was driving his truck and had the bonna case with him to send as soon as I paid (was almost comical :lol: ) I expected a scammer to be a little more intelligent :shuffle: This guy was too easy!!

His email address was different than his paypal email and when I asked him he didn't know why :idk: :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joshua Vickers is apparantly called Donald Gale and he has no idea someone with the name Joshua Vickers is emailing me even though it's Donald answering Joshua's emails :good: :lol:

Joshua/Donald doesn't have a paypal account apparantly his accountant advised him to ditch it after he was hacked but he could use his cousin's account :idea: :tongue:

The next one is Toby Hung, he emailed me this morning, I replied but he's yet to get back to me. At least his name matches his email address.

It's the first time I've posted a WTB in the classifieds, the offers are terrible but very entertaining :good:
I had Billy hit me up too. Seemed like a normal enough interaction at first until I started asking for more information. Good thing I didn't go through with anything!

I think this is the first time someone has straight up tried to scam me on the Trombone forums in over 10 years of dealing on here. Crazy times. Might have to stick with Facebook and consignment from the Brass Ark from now on.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

We have taken a few actions to prevent some of these things over the weekend. Please continue to report the issue and include if you have an ad somewhere else (such as FB) where you have your contact information. I want to see if what we've done is sufficient. I'd prefer not to divulge what we've done; some changes should be highly self-evident and others much more subtle.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Jerry Hyman was the Trombonist in Blood Sweat and Tears during the height of their popularity, this might be the same Jerry Hyman. I think he has posted here before. I know he retired from the business many years ago after leaving BS&T.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

As a reminder. Rule #1: When sending money to someone you don't know (or have some other strong reason to trust), ALWAYS use PayPal as a "Purchase" so you have recourse if it turns out to be a scammer. Do NOT use PayPal Friends & Family, do NOT use Venmo, and do NOT use Zelle. These 3 payment methods might be "free" but if you get scammed you are $hit out of luck.

Some sellers will specifically ask for a fee-less method of payment, which is understandable - they would like to get the full purchase price. I very often offer to add on the 3% fee (and usually insist on it). If the seller has a problem with that, there is a problem...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

BoomtownRath wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:06 am

[email protected]
[email protected]

Any report on Toby Hung? I’m emailing with him about something.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony

Return to “News & Announcements”