Conn 70H barrels

ithinknot

Conn 70H barrels

Post by ithinknot »

Are the spring barrels on a late (long slide, short bell) 70H hard soldered like most later Conns?

I'm assuming so, and it looks like they probably are, but just thought I'd check if anyone has any experience to the contrary. If it turns out that like Bach barrels they'd fall off in direct sunlight, then I'd be tempted to turn threads to add a slide lock... but if not, no problem.

(Otherwise, I'll just do it with a die if/when the slide needs an alignment that justifies taking apart the inner slide hand brace.)
hornbuilder

Re: Conn 70H barrels

Post by hornbuilder »

They should be soldered on. Is the left hand grip area chrome plated? That makes getting it back together a little more interesting.

Had some one bring in a Conn slide that had huge, ugly plier marks and burned lacquer from a tech trying to unsolder a one piece cork barrel. 🙄

It should be obvious pretty early on after putting some heat on if the joint is soldered or not, as the solder will bubble out of the joint.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

hornbuilder wrote: ↑Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:09 am They should be soldered on. Is the left hand grip area chrome plated? That makes getting it back together a little more interesting.
Thanks Matthew. No chrome, and not too much lacquer to worry about either.

I was 'thinking out loud' having just pulled it out of the box late last night. Looking at it today under better light, it's pretty obviously soft solder - should be straightforward :good:
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Cool!

Just FYI. The thread on the Conn lock nuts (which I assume you would be using?) Is 13/16-40. Easy enough to cut if you're lathe savvy.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

hornbuilder wrote: ↑Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm 13/16-40
:idea: Thanks!

Return to “Modification & Repair”