Benge counterweight

Sgroth01

Benge counterweight

Post by Sgroth01 »

Hello everyone! I play a Benge 165F, - very nice trombone with good tone. It's a bit nose heavy though - anyone know if these horns were originally offered with a counterweight? I'm 75 now, and sometimes feel as if I'm fighting the nose.
etbone

Re: Benge counterweight

Post by etbone »

Not originally, but became available. For the reason you stated. Not sure, what brace diameter you have. (Probably a King size) It great improves, the horn's playing.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The Benge and King balancers are exactly the same part. The only thing that was different was the sticker tin that went over them. The sticker tin is completely unnecessary…..it actually complicates things if the balancer becomes loose.

I’m sure that there are some folks on TromboneChat who have an extra modern King balancer. My recommendation would be to try to find one in the classifieds.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
SlideCrook

Post by SlideCrook »

The one for Kings works. You can buy it from www.hickeys.com

It also greatly aids with projection.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Sgroth01 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:39 am Hello everyone! I play a Benge 165F, - very nice trombone with good tone. It's a bit nose heavy though - anyone know if these horns were originally offered with a counterweight? I'm 75 now, and sometimes feel as if I'm fighting the nose.
I just purchased a 165F this summer and have been playing it exclusively since then. :good:

Are you using any type of grip or strap?
Could be another option or addtion to the counter weight. :idk:

I purchased a Leather Specialties large bass trombone strap.(I have wide hands so I went with large, but I think a medium would have worked also as the leather stretches a bit)
It made a world of difference including better overall balance.
I cannot see ever playing this horn again without some sort of grip assistance.
Leather Specialties was the most affordable option but there others on the market such as NeoTech, Edwards bullet brace, and Sheridan Get a Grip to name a few.

https://www.lscoguard.com/bass-trombone ... strap.html

Cheers
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Sgroth01

Post by Sgroth01 »

Thanks for all these fast replies - you folks are giving me some good advice!

Return to “Instruments”