Junior Year of High School

ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

UPDATE: My Honours Physics grade is improving as it's close to a C- which the test grades are improving which the tests and quizes are what kills my grade.  The math section is my strongest, but understanding the concepts can be hard because of my difficulty reading and understanding.  In Foundations of Calculus, I got a 91% on my Ch. 5 test recently and scored on the top 10 of all the other classes.  So pretty much I have A's in almost all classes so far.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good going!  Keep it up! Image Image
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Good job Ethan!    Keep up the good work!

Silly question, but have you or your parent talked to school about your reading and comprehension challenges?  Many public schools have specific resources to help with these challenges, and if it can be found to be related to a diagnosable condition, can also translate into accommodations like a little more time on certain exams (including the SATs and ACT).  Make sure you are taking full advantage of the resources available to you. 

Good luck, and thanks for keeping us posted. 

Peter
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

GOOD NEWS: I am now in the C range in Physics, so there for C- is my lowest grade! 
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

UPDATE: I have mid term exams this week.  And I've been studying really hard and feel confident but doing more work in Physics.  Hope things will go well.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good luck, Ethan.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Okay, I finished my English exam and I thought it was easy, but haven't recieved the score yet.  Tomorrow is my Physics exam, hope things will go well.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Just remember:

F=ma

F=m(d2x/dt2)

Good luck
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 18, 2017, 02:54PMJust remember:

F=ma

F=m(d2x/dt2)

Good luck

The single most practical and applicable equation that exists, and the precursor to hundreds of derived equations - and so few know of it, whereas the whole world can quote E=mc2
ttf_Bimmerman

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 18, 2017, 03:04PMThe single most practical and applicable equation that exists, and the precursor to hundreds of derived equations - and so few know of it, whereas the whole world can quote E=mc2

also:

a = d2x/dt2, acceleration
v = dx/dt, velocity. Speed is |v|
x = position

E = (1/2)mv2 + mgh + (1/2)kx2

V = IR

and, most helpful advice I ever got: you know you're on the right track when the units make sense. Don't discount them! i.e Force is in Newtons i.e kg-m/s2. Make sure the units on both sides of the equation are the same( ie. 1 J = 1 kg-m2/s2, 1 V = 1 A * Ohm), and the numerical magnitude is likely to be in the ballpark.

edit: apparently I missed the discussion of CS major + Music. One of the finest freelance trumpet players I know in the area is a software developer/manager at Apple and drives/tracks/instructs in his Porsche GT3, and freelances professionally in his free time. So...that's a good option if you've got the talent and drive to excel in both, and don't want to pursue music as your primary career. He was a music major until his last couple years in college and then switched to CS.
ttf_sowilson

Post by ttf_sowilson »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 18, 2017, 03:04PMThe single most practical and applicable equation that exists, and the precursor to hundreds of derived equations - and so few know of it, whereas the whole world can quote E=mc2

naw it really is E=MC5  (queue Wayne Kramer and Fred "Sonic" Smith going gonzo)
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I completed my Physics exam, now tomorrow is my Calculus exam.  Hope things go well. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You know the 3 laws of Thermodynamics, don't you?

1.  You can't win.
2.  The best you can do is break even.
3.  You can't even do that.

My 2nd boss used to have a funny saying: entropy is like bureaucracy -- it always increases (he used a much more earthy term instead of "bureaucracy").

Hope it wen't well.  Good luck with calculus.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

The way I heard it:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't quit the game.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I finished my calculus exam.  Now it's official, my first half of my junior year is complete. 

Here are my classes for 2nd semester:

U.S. Government
Language III (Same as English 11)
Honors Physics
Varsity Band
Jazz Band
Foundations of Calculus

Hope to do more improvement this following semester!
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

UPDATE: I recently got a 95% on my FOC tests.  I was one of the top 5 out of all classes. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Nice work! Image

How about Physics?  You do OK?
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 04, 2017, 04:45PMNice work! Image

How about Physics?  You do OK?
Its getting better, I got a 82% in the class.  Everything is going smoothly! Image Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Feb 04, 2017, 04:47PMIts getting better, I got a 82% in the class.  Everything is going smoothly! Image Image

Excellent! Image Image
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Bimmerman on Jan 18, 2017, 03:45PME = (1/2)mv2 + mgh + (1/2)kx2
A little late, but unless the mass in question is attached to a spring, then it's safe to drop the last term.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I got the class choices for my senior year, here are the classes:

AP Calculus BC
AP Computer Science A
English 12
MS Office
Jazz Band
Health and Wellness / Economics

I'm also doing good in all my classes so far! Image 

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wow, they have a whole course in Microsoft Office?  Do they cover more than Word, Excel, and Powerpoint?  Do they cover Visual Basic for macros and modifications?

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised; most jobs nowadays require you to have a working knowledge of it.

Good luck with it!
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Feb 15, 2017, 04:14PMI got the class choices for my senior year, here are the classes:

AP Calculus BC
AP Computer Science A
English 12
MS Office
Jazz Band
Health and Wellness / Economics

I'm also doing good in all my classes so far! Image 

Does the school also offer Calc AB, in case the BC proves to be too much?
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

After deciding, I'm decided to major in Computer Engineering or Computer Science and minor in Jazz for my undergraduate.  I've looked into Oakland University and heard they have a great music program and its close to where I live!
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Now that I figured out what I'll do for my undergraduate, what can I do for my graduate music wise.  Any suggestions will help.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Graduate study will have to be a single area.  You will probably find an area of Computer Engineering that will interest you.

Any school that has a music ensemble will probably allow you to play, but your time may not be as free as it is now or as an undergraduate.

When your studies are over and you have a job, look into a Community Ensemble near wherever you wind up working.  If it's in Boston, the Shriner Big Band in Wilmington will probably be looking for a bass trombone by then (my chair).
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Just FYI ... graduate studies in computer sciences are staggeringly competitive these days.  If this is your goal, get your academic game on!  I don't want to discourage you, but you need to be prepared.  If this is where you are headed, put music more to the background. 

Kind of like Feynman and his bongos.

If your interested, let me know, and I can explain why/how I know this.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

UPDATE: I took both the SAT and ACT and will weight for the results to come in.  Now I have to wait for the results to come in.  Also, grades for all classes are good as well! 
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Junior year complete!  I'm officially a senior! Image I found out I got a 86% in Physics!  Awaiting for other test results.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Junior year complete!  I'm officially a senior! Image I found out I got a 86% in Physics!  Awaiting for other test results.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”