DE rim feels smaller

Tbone00

DE rim feels smaller

Post by Tbone00 »

Hi! I bought a XT102N lexan rim and my first impression was the rim felt smaller than the lt102 I played some time ago.
I don't know if is because of the narrow rim or the lexan rim (its my first time with this material) but it feels like a 101.5 rim in my face.
So I don't know if buying a 102.5N or maybe just buying a 102N in silverplate would solve it. Thanks
Last edited by Tbone00 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdanielsen

Re: DE rim feels smaller

Post by Kdanielsen »

The lexan feels smaller to me because it’s stickier.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I also found the Lexan rim to feel smaller. I would recommend getting an XT103 Lexan. I know Doug makes the Lexan rims the same size, but it still feels smaller to me.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yep, it's just sensation of lexan. My solution was to exclusively play lexan rims! Oddly, or perhaps expected, that sensation diminishes the longer I forget to shave.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Talk to Doug!
Tbone00

Post by Tbone00 »

I think the lexam is not for me, I need something more slippery, I think I am going to look for a 102.5N in silverplate. If a anyone sells this rim tell let me know.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You may find the XT 103 to be fine. I know Doug makes some half sizes but I don't know if 102.5 is one of them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Some players are sensitive to the outside diameter and if it's one of my Narrow rims it mas feel smaller overall - but the inside is actually the same.

There are other reasons Lexan may feel smaller - the stickiness of it doesn't slide around the way metal does, which I find to be an advantage in endurance, but some players don't like it. The size feel is somewhat affected by the surface finish. If you have an old one (I know you didn't get it from me) it's probably not as smooth as what I'm making now. And if it's from a very long time ago, it may actually be a tiny bit smaller, maybe by .002" or .003"

Since you didn't get your stuff from me I don't know what parts you have.
I have one LT 102.5 in stock, in silver. Also Narrow, and XT Narrow 102.5 but not regular.
You're very unlikely to find a used one, I haven't sold very many half sizes but I do make them.

(When my lathe is working.... not yet.)
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Tbone00

Post by Tbone00 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am Some players are sensitive to the outside diameter and if it's one of my Narrow rims it mas feel smaller overall - but the inside is actually the same.

There are other reasons Lexan may feel smaller - the stickiness of it doesn't slide around the way metal does, which I find to be an advantage in endurance, but some players don't like it. The size feel is somewhat affected by the surface finish. If you have an old one (I know you didn't get it from me) it's probably not as smooth as what I'm making now. And if it's from a very long time ago, it may actually be a tiny bit smaller, maybe by .002" or .003"

I have one LT 102.5 in stock, in silver. Also Narrow, and XT Narrow 102.5 but not regular.
You're very unlikely to find a used one, I haven't sold very many half sizes but I do make them.

Hi Doug thanks for the reply.
Yes, I didn't get the mpc from you, I used to buy in EU when I have the oportunity due to the lower shipping costs.
I didn't know that narrow rims may make the feeling of a smaller inside diameter. I think the rim is from 2016 so maybe is a bit smaller or not as smooth as the new ones.
I don't usually like very wide rims thats why I bought the Narrow rim but I liked your Lt102 as well so I think a regular XT102 may be fine. Thanks
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I don't advertise this but I also make some medium-narrow rims that are halfway between regular and narrow.

A 2016 rim should be the correct inside diameter.
Lexan is tricky to work with.
Tbone00

Post by Tbone00 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am Some players are sensitive to the outside diameter and if it's one of my Narrow rims it mas feel smaller overall - but the inside is actually the same.

Hi Doug, Do you still have the XT N102.5 in stock? I am interested.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Send me an email.

Return to “Mouthpieces”