Has anyone on this forum tried a "wind instrument face mask" like this:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/wi ... 01017&ac=1
($19.95 at Sheet Music Plus) ?

... or anything else that is allegedly "protective?"

Thoughts? :idk:
JLivi

Re: PPE for trombonists

Post by JLivi »

I ordered one a month ago and it shipped this last week. I hope it gets here soon. I’ll be sure to share a photo and give you my opinion.

My wife works in healthcare will also be able to tell me if it’s helpful or not.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Small aerosols are blown through the instrument. This mask does nothing to control them. A bell cover would be much more effective.

Note that large sprays, the kind we keep the 2 meter separation for, are generally absorbed by the instrument and become part of the stuff released by the water key.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I used a light cotton bag with a drawstring for a bell cover and a soap dish with a Lysol wipe in it for a couple of rehearsals. I thought a bandana could be useful while playing.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

For a bell cover (depending on how much I am willing to muffle my sound) I use either:
• a Softone mute,
• a wool beret, or
• a Crown Royal whiskey bag (large 1.75L size)

When we play outdoors, my water key empties onto the lawn or driveway that we are dispersed on, 6+ feet apart.
Indoors, I use a washable dish drain mat and bring it home with me to launder.

I suppose everything is risky, but I try to manage some of that by being careful about knowing those around me, keeping my distance, wearing a facemask in public, and keeping clean (soap, sanitizer, etc.).
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:45 pm I used a light cotton bag with a drawstring for a bell cover and a soap dish with a Lysol wipe in it for a couple of rehearsals. I thought a bandana could be useful while playing.
I was under the impression that the bell cover had to be made out of nylon for some reason. But I guess if the CDC recommends 2 layers of cotton for face masks, it should be fine for trombone bells :idk:

I'm assuming we're all following this study?
https://www.nfhs.org/media/4030003/aero ... -final.pdf

Is there another one I'm unaware of?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I found it interesting that the trombone should have 9 feet (about 3 meters) in one direction for clearance. Probably for the slide -- the particles shouldn't shoot out any further than any other brass instrument.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

As Bruce says, lots of brass infection should condense on the way out. But also, the velocity of what makes it through, is really low by nature of the bell compliance with the atmosphere. I would expect that velocity to be near a dead stop coming out of a trombone. Meanwhile a loud talker could make for m/s velocities. Nevertheless, I would be fearful of playing near my old buddies even though I have high probability of no infection. Their consequence would be high.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The LMS is still waiting to receive bell covers. People are using what they can.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The problem is that the more layers of "stuff" you put in front of the bell the more muffled the sound becomes. But CDC is talking 3 layers or more of cotton to stop the aerosol (or at least bring it to reasonable levels). Where do we find the sweet spot for how much covering versus how much muffling.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

My school ordered a bell cover for all of our brass. I think getting the right size is important. The company made a one size fits all for trombones and euphoniums. That did not work well, we tried it for a week in jazz band and it was just terrible. The covers on anything smaller than 8 1/2 inches was just a piece of trash. On a 7 1/2 you literally couldn’t play because of the resistance, but on bass bone 9 1/2 it sounded fine, muffled, but you could play. On euphonium with a 11 inch or something like that it took 10 minutes struggling to put the thing over the bell because it wasn’t large enough. Once i got it one it still sounded muffled and just not the funnest experience. After a week of trying it out my director decided it wasn’t worth having the band sound like half the brass wasn’t playing. We now practice outside 9 feet apart
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Elow wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 pm My school ordered a bell cover for all of our brass. I think getting the right size is important. The company made a one size fits all for trombones and euphoniums. That did not work well, we tried it for a week in jazz band and it was just terrible. The covers on anything smaller than 8 1/2 inches was just a piece of trash. On a 7 1/2 you literally couldn’t play because of the resistance, but on bass bone 9 1/2 it sounded fine, muffled, but you could play. On euphonium with a 11 inch or something like that it took 10 minutes struggling to put the thing over the bell because it wasn’t large enough. Once i got it one it still sounded muffled and just not the funnest experience. After a week of trying it out my director decided it wasn’t worth having the band sound like half the brass wasn’t playing. We now practice outside 9 feet apart
Well that's the school or district's fault. There are plenty of bell cover companies that sell in 0.5 inch increments. In my opinion, that's laziness on their part. That does suck for the students though that you have to deal with it.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:20 pm The problem is that the more layers of "stuff" you put in front of the bell the more muffled the sound becomes. But CDC is talking 3 layers or more of cotton to stop the aerosol (or at least bring it to reasonable levels). Where do we find the sweet spot for how much covering versus how much muffling.
Crown Royal bag.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

I purchased 'McCormick's' 9 inch bell cover from Hickey's for my Bach A47MLR and while the size was fine, the nylon cloth muffles the sound and adds back pressure. It makes the playing experience 'not fun.'
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

TriJim wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:03 am I purchased 'McCormick's' 9 inch bell cover from Hickey's for my Bach A47MLR and while the size was fine, the nylon cloth muffles the sound and adds back pressure. It makes the playing experience 'not fun.'
This is the same bell cover that my school ordered for all of the brass. My specific cover is the 10-inch diameter version that fits the 9.5 inch bell of my bass well but it actually fits the 8 inch bell of my tenor too. I was rather surprised that it didn't sag on the smaller bell but the elastic band pulls the fabric tight over the bell flare. It's a lot better than a cotton t-shirt secured by a rubber band at least.

As for sound... lets just say that it can be "fun" to try to blend with your section when they all have the same cover and one of your section mates is 30 feet from you.
Robert C

Return to “Accessories”