Recommendations for Plunger Mute

walldaja

Recommendations for Plunger Mute

Post by walldaja »

Looking for recommendations for a good plunger mute. Looking for something lighter than a rubber plumber's plunger.

Thanks!
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
harrisonreed

Re: Recommendations for Plunger Mute

Post by harrisonreed »

The H&B stonelined one might be marginally lighter. But it's not quite a plunger either.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:25 pm The H&B stonelined one might be marginally lighter. But it's not quite a plunger either.
The Tuxedo plunger is not lighter. The swirled rubber one might be, but you can buy an awful lot of conventional plungers for what they charge for it.

Some of the cheaper "dollar store" plungers tend to be lighter than many. Makes for a lousy toiled unclogger, but would meet your requirement.

My plunger isn't too heavy, though. Why do you need something lighter?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Whatever you get, smell it first. Some rubber has an awful organic stink to it, and it takes a long time to dissipate. Months.

If you intend to become a plunger artist, choose one that is flexible, as the best users manipulate the thing like a pair of lips, pouts and smirks included.

If you just want something light, a styrofoam soup bowl may work.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I do a lot of plunger playing (with the Pixie)
The Humes & Berg Plunger is the worst I`ve ever played. Clumsy and heavy.
The regular Basic Bb toilet plunger (the Brown ones) are still the best. Getting harder and harder to find.
afugate

Post by afugate »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:46 pm Some of the cheaper "dollar store" plungers tend to be lighter than many. Makes for a lousy toiled unclogger, but would meet your requirement.
That's what I've discovered as well. Cheap dollar store plungers are lightweight and flexible. And, probably not at all useful for clearing a clog. But they work well for tenor trombone.

-- Andy in OKC
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

I have discovered a great plunger! It's called the New Orleans style plunger. They play great! It's a bit deeper than a standard rubber plunger. A grip on the outside that makes it easy to hold too. I am sure you can get them in a lot of places. Even amazon carries them!
andym

Post by andym »

I was looking to see what the New Orleans style looks like when I came across this trumpet plunger on Amazon. It offered to put it on subscribe and save with the most common being one mute every two months! What the heck are trumpet players doing? I mean, I’ve been using the same plunger for over 40 years.

Mutec MHT160 Plunger Mute for Trumpet - Black Rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M8HVXC/re ... BFbM47EQKH
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

There's also a Mutec trombone plunger that I like.
On the Hickey's website it says it's going under the FAXX name, same item. Witness Protection Program, I guess.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Is anyone still using Jolly Balls?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Dennis wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:16 pm Is anyone still using Jolly Balls?
I went into a pet store recently and they didn't have any.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Looking for a new plunger and found this thread from last year.

Jolly Balls are sold on Amazon.

Next question: how do you use Jolly Balls? Cut them in half and it's a plunger?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There was a whole topic on how to prepare a Jolly Ball on TTF. I don't know if it came over when we tried to merge the old Forum.

You have to cut it in half, but the handle is not dead center -- it's off by about 1/3. Doing it that way lets you hold the Jolly Ball with your palm under the bell rim. I don't think an 8 incher is a good size for most trombones (except basses). I think the next size down is 6 inches. That's not too far off from the size of an old toilet plunger. How you cut it is another issue. I think a hack saw was suggested.

I still have my 60 year old plunger from when I was in High School which I still use. Also have a Harmon Triple Play and use the cup part as a plunger.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I did this “jolly ball” plunger thing. It is easy to do and makes a giant mute. Problem is that holding the bass and trying to manipulate the mute is just too much. Also how useful is a wah -wah mute on a bass trombone. I put a cabinet knob on it to hold onto. Still a challenge.

If you are talking about a tenor then a toilet plunger is all you need. No handle of course. :D

Jolly Ball is real thick so it might be too stiff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

walldaja wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:55 pm Looking for recommendations for a good plunger mute. Looking for something lighter than a rubber plumber's plunger.

Thanks!
Many players cut off the inner rim of the regular toilet plunger. It will be considerably lighter and more flexible. Use a utility knife; try not to lose a finger.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Hmm.... interesting. Maybe I'll just try some more plungers. The Jolly Ball looks like too much work. I'm having trouble finding something for an 8 1/2" bell. I had one years ago, just something I bought at a dollar store, that was great, had more "bite" than any other I've ever had. But the rubber was cheap and it started falling apart so I had to throw it away.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Nothing to stop you from taking an aluminum pie pan and screwing on a drawer knob. That would be lighter. And a 7" pie pan is a good size for the trombone.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:48 pm Nothing to stop you from taking an aluminum pie pan and screwing on a drawer knob. That would be lighter. And a 7" pie pan is a good size for the trombone.
Oh that's not a bad idea.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Aqua force 5
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I don`t know about the rest of the country but... In Florida CVS is the only place I`ve found that still has actual sturdy old-style plungers that are the size needed for Trombone, not the flimsy things I see most other places.
I bought 4 when I saw them right before Christmas, Walked up to the cashier who gave me a really weird look having 4 plungers. I just told her that they make really nice stocking stuffers
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I found one at a dollar store after checking everywhere else I could think of.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
dembones

Post by dembones »

The great Las Vegas trombonist Curt Miller raved about the Hirschman plungers on Facebook. Website says they are still in prototype phase but should be available "soon":

https://www.hirschmanmutes.com/
Don Mikkelsen
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

dembones wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm The great Las Vegas trombonist Curt Miller raved about the Hirschman plungers on Facebook. Website says they are still in prototype phase but should be available "soon":

https://www.hirschmanmutes.com/
The 'Kenny Penny' is a clever idea.
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Here is a question. This Ace plunger is 5" in diameter. Is that big enough for a typical 8" bell-ed jazz horn? I have seen recommendations for a 6" plunger.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... rs/4824876
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

greenbean wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 pm Here is a question. This Ace plunger is 5" in diameter. Is that big enough for a typical 8" bell-ed jazz horn? I have seen recommendations for a 6" plunger.
I use a 6" diameter plunger on my 9½"-bell bass trombone. Can't remember where I got it. Does the job; I think it's O.K. [No one complains.] Not sure I could handle anything much larger anyway. :idk:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Stonelined. The only way to rattle your bell on the Berio.
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 pm

Stonelined. The only way to rattle your bell on the Berio.
Hmm could be converted to a solotone mute with a little work.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Whatever mute you get, smell it first. Seriously. If it's Chinese rubber, as most all now are, some will off-gas a really noxious odor for months. I've gotten good Chinese mutes, but some of them will make you very unhappy and prolly irritable, too.
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

greenbean wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 pm Here is a question. This Ace plunger is 5" in diameter. Is that big enough for a typical 8" bell-ed jazz horn? I have seen recommendations for a 6" plunger.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... rs/4824876
I picked up one of these 6.5" plungers from Amazon last year, big enough for my bass and my 8" bell tenor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XI ... UTF8&psc=1

doesn't seem to be available, but here is another 6.5"

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Original ... X2WW&psc=1

and one listed as 7"

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Original ... X2WW&psc=1

They don't seem to have great reviews as a plunger, but my usage is less rigorous!

To use proper TC parlance: that is 6.5" outer rim diameter, 5.5" inner rim and a medium-deep cup depth.
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I've been really surprised at how hard it is to track down a decent plunger the last few years. All I want is a basic hardware store cup-on-a-stick, but finding one that's made of actual rubber and not some sort of hard plastic is becoming a real challenge.

Incidentally, a guy in one of the bands I play with claims to have the perfect plunger. He found it, 'used', in a public toilet whilst on a trip to China and brought it back in his luggage. :shock:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

soseggnchips wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am Incidentally, a guy in one of the bands I play with claims to have the perfect plunger. He found it, 'used', in a public toilet whilst on a trip to China and brought it back in his luggage. :shock:
Did he get it tested for COVID? :horror:
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

soseggnchips wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am I've been really surprised at how hard it is to track down a decent plunger the last few years. All I want is a basic hardware store cup-on-a-stick, but finding one that's made of actual rubber and not some sort of hard plastic is becoming a real challenge.

Incidentally, a guy in one of the bands I play with claims to have the perfect plunger. He found it, 'used', in a public toilet whilst on a trip to China and brought it back in his luggage. :shock:
Did he get it tested for fecal material?... << a better question
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

greenbean wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:25 pm
soseggnchips wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am I've been really surprised at how hard it is to track down a decent plunger the last few years. All I want is a basic hardware store cup-on-a-stick, but finding one that's made of actual rubber and not some sort of hard plastic is becoming a real challenge.

Did he get it tested for fecal material?... << a better question
I think he left it in a bucket of bleach for a couple of weeks... I still don't know if that would be enough for me.

There's something to be said for not being too uptight about equipment, but personally I feel better knowing none of mine has ever been down a public latrine. If that makes me a gear snob then so be it!
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

greenbean wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 amMany players cut off the inner rim of the regular toilet plunger. It will be considerably lighter and more flexible. Use a utility knife; try not to lose a finger.
I did this and then rounded the inner/cut edge w sandpaper. Much more flexible.

I also cemented a German coin in the hole where the stick used to go, bc I'm fancy. Er ... for that Teutonic sound!

:idea:
sporto

Post by sporto »

try a canning funnel. They come in aluminum, plasitic, steel..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184803326633?h ... SwfdZgjEpd
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

sporto wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 pm try a canning funnel. They come in aluminum, plasitic, steel..
That's a bit on the small size. You should find something more like 6 inches (15 cm). 8 inches (20 cm) for a bass trombone.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
dembones

Post by dembones »

I just came across this online, looks interesting!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/942439796/ ... ve_6&pro=1
Don Mikkelsen
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Only cost 10 times what I paid for a toilet plunger, but if it floats your boat -- great!
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
sporto

Post by sporto »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 pm
sporto wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 pm try a canning funnel. They come in aluminum, plasitic, steel..
That's a bit on the small size. You should find something more like 6 inches (15 cm). 8 inches (20 cm) for a bass trombone.
Not with a 7" bell.
Actually, they work very well. (I don't have a bell larger than 7.5")
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Apparently out of stock from this vendor - what should be a 6 dollar funnel is now listed at $24 !

That's a pretty huge hole in the funnel. Does it really provide much muting? Does it sound like what we would normally expect from a "plunger?" :idk:

Aside from the low cost, one advantage of a standard rubber plunger is that you can store it in your trombone bell. (I wrap mine in a microfiber cloth that I use to wipe my trombone clean and dry after playing.)
sporto

Post by sporto »

Posaunus wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:49 am
Apparently out of stock from this vendor - what should be a 6 dollar funnel is now listed at $24 !

That's a pretty huge hole in the funnel. Does it really provide much muting? Does it sound like what we would normally expect from a "plunger?" :idk:

Aside from the low cost, one advantage of a standard rubber plunger is that you can store it in your trombone bell. (I wrap mine in a microfiber cloth that I use to wipe my trombone clean and dry after playing.)
You can put 1, 2 or 3 fingers across the hole. It does have a plunger sound
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Lowes.com
muschem

Post by muschem »

dembones wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:21 pm I just came across this online, looks interesting!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/942439796/ ... ve_6&pro=1
Thanks for that link. I'm rebuilding my equipment inventory, and I didn't yet have a plunger. I played for years with just a regular rubber plunger, and they worked fine for me through various big bands, small ensembles, show pits, and other playing. But, the one you linked looked nice, so I figured why not.

The Etsy store was having a 25% off sale when I ordered, which brought the cost down a bit, but it is still by far the most expensive plunger I've ever bought. Shipping was relatively quick from the Ukraine to US - just over two weeks. The box it came in was thin corrugated and pretty well beat up by the shipping process, but the plunger inside was in perfect condition. In terms of playing - what can I say? It's a plunger. It is no more or less effective as a plunger than the rubber variety I've used in the past. The diameter measures right at 6", making it a good fit for my small bore tenor... not sure how well it would work on a bass, as I don't have one to compare, but judging from the earlier comments it should be ok there as well. I like the finger ring on the outside of the cup. It has a conveniently placed magnet sewn into the finger ring, and it is just strong enough to hold the plunger to the underside of a music stand shelf for easy access, without being so strong as to risk tipping a typically-weighted stand over in a hasty detachment. I think the leather looks nice (it should develop a great patina over time), and the customization option is well done, assuming you never plan to part with it. It smells as leather typically does (much better than I recall my rubber plunger smelling). I don't know how well it would nest inside the bell for travel, as was suggested earlier, but I don't carry mine that way, so it isn't a concern.

Anyway, that's about it. Yes, it is pricey for what it is. Yes, it works. I like it, but ymmv.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Accessories”