Caruso-Landsman: anyone spend time on this?

How and what to teach and learn.
Bach5G

Caruso-Landsman: anyone spend time on this?

Post by Bach5G »

Has anyone spent any time working on the C Caruso - J Landsman materials?

http://www.julielandsman.com/gallery
BGuttman

Re: Caruso-Landsman: anyone spend time on this?

Post by BGuttman »

I watched most of her videos. Actually did some of the early exercises. I think if I practiced more I might see some benefit. Caruso was famous for helping big pros with problems.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Sam Burtis studied with Caruso so you should make contact with him
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

I spent a few months working through her YT videos, several year ago, after Sam Burtis (TTF_Sabutin) mentioned that she was one of the few people who were currently teaching Caruso's methods. Several of them were quite helpful (at least to me), particularly the one on slurring across range breaks (which appears to have been taken down) and the one on note tasting. Unfortunately, I got away from them and slipped back into my old habits 😢, and at this point just can't muster up the motivation to get back to them.
Last edited by sungfw on Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm Sam Burtis studied with Caruso so you should make contact with him
Was I asking about Sam?
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Bach5G wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm
Vegasbound wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm Sam Burtis studied with Caruso so you should make contact with him
Was I asking about Sam?

Don't know why I bother sometimes!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’ve spent some time with these exercises and have watched the videos, but used the simple exercises from a PDF that Sam Burtis had prepared for a masterclass, as well as some extension exercises in a similar vein from his book. He’s mentioned before that the exercises were seemingly taught with slight differences to different players, so you might find some variations.

I’ve found them to be really helpful, particularly with getting notes and slurred passages to speak immediately and effortlessly. I’ve also found them helpful in finding a balance across small and large tenor, and bass.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I have done the six tones fro many years, I had a short meeting with Carmain Caruso 50 years ago, not enough time to really understand the consept, but I have practised the exercise for many years and I do understand it mutch better today. I watched Landsmans video, they are good. I think she is a good teacher.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I use elements of the Caruso method, some inspired by Julie Landsman, some by Laurie Frink (RIP), some that were taught to me by Sam. Some of what I worked on when I studied with Norman Bolter is very, very similar to Caruso exercises.

And then more recently, the horn teacher at Kinhaven (my summer music camp gig) is Carolyn Wahl, who is a good friend of Julie's and also teaches with that method. Watching what she does with her students has been inspiring and educational for me as well.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

You might find James Boldin’s Horn World writeup interesting:

https://jamesboldin.com/2020/05/20/caru ... al-week-5/
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thanks for the link.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Tried to look at the videos on the website but they are not available. The calendar, explanatory notes and exercises are still there. I understand the intention is to do the exercises on a daily basis. I was trying to find out how many times the daily exercise should be repeated in the daily session, if indeed it should be repeated at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

JL website has the videos. Also available on YouTube.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I worked through the whole thing one summer and it was very beneficial. I also worked through “The Buzzing Book” at the same time. It was a good combo for me. I feel like that was the summer I really started to understand how the chops and air work together. Definitely worth the time and effort.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Geordie wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 am Tried to look at the videos on the website but they are not available. The calendar, explanatory notes and exercises are still there. I understand the intention is to do the exercises on a daily basis. I was trying to find out how many times the daily exercise should be repeated in the daily session, if indeed it should be repeated at all.
Try Julie Landsman page:

http://www.julielandsman.com/gallery
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have done the six tones study in the 80-ies without knowing it was Caruso. I found the JL-videos a couple of years ago and did them again. I've only done the six tones. I had so much troubles doing them in the 80-ies that I think they did not help much. I was doing a complete change of my emboushure and to just make a sound was a problem. When I picked them up the second time I understood the concept better and could do them as they were supposed to. It needs a lot of focus and concentration. They are not easy, but now my chops gets better when I do them.

/Tom
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Perhaps there's somebody here who could clarify - in the Caruso 6 Notes, I've seen it listed three different ways:
"ta-da-hah" (tongue, soft tongue, breath accent)
"b-t-t" (breath, tongue, tongue) - this is the Julie Landsman one
"b-t-p" (breath, light tongue, push)

Is one of these "correct"? Do they offer different benefits? Is one more suited to trombone as opposed to horn or trumpet? The sources for each of these are different people who've studied with Caruso, so I'm a little puzzled by the discrepancy.

It should be said, the other aspects of the exercises are all the same - mpc stays on the lips throughout, breathe through the nose (or corners), tap your foot throughout with a one bar intro, etc.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

The version B-T-T is the original . ta - da - hah is a variant, normal attack - soft tongue - and stopp blowing and start the last tone with a breath attack. in the very short silence the embouchure is keept as in playing.
The last b-t-p is new for me. Never heard of.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Julie Landsman is one of the horn Professors at Bard, and I have personally seen at least one friend really take off from some of her Caruso stuff. In discussions with professors and students at school most agreed it generally seems to work far better (meaning for a greater percentage) of horn and trumpet players than for trombone/bass Bone/tuba.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8

Return to “Teaching & Learning”