www.westonsprott.com

ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For those who may be interested... I recently launched a new design of my website. I am regularly updating the playing tips section with in depth details about how to improve your playing. So, for you younger guys who are scouring the internet for information, here's one more place to look. I hope some of these tips can be helpful. If you would like me to write about something in particular in the playing tips section or have thoughts for a new article, feel free to send me an email through the site and perhaps we will make something of it. All the best!

Weston Sprott
ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

GREAT site!

Are all those topiccs in "playin tips" supposed to become links? in that case, it's not much to ask for, you cover the whole subject of playing trombone! Image

This is really great!

One thing I would like to read thoughts on, is "how to play low C good for tenor trombonists". hehe. I have a very good valve register on tenor, but it's hard to play C loud. And most tenor players I know shift to do it.
ttf_David Schwartz

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_David Schwartz »

What a great resource you've created for the trombone community!
ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Looks great, thanks for sharing!
ttf_Weston Sprott

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_Weston Sprott »

Fluor,
All of the playing tips will eventually become links. I try to do at least a couple of them every week. There will also be additional articles as well. I'd be happy to write something about playing in the low trigger register as well. Check back in the next week or so and something will be posted in the articles section.

Weston

Quote from: fluor on Feb 20, 2011, 04:39AMGREAT site!

Are all those topiccs in "playin tips" supposed to become links? in that case, it's not much to ask for, you cover the whole subject of playing trombone! Image

This is really great!

One thing I would like to read thoughts on, is "how to play low C good for tenor trombonists". hehe. I have a very good valve register on tenor, but it's hard to play C loud. And most tenor players I know shift to do it.

ttf_stanzabone

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Excellent web page. Everyone should bookmark The Letter "M", and the baseball analogy is perfect.
And that's after looking for about two minutes.
ttf_BGuttman

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wow.  I wish half the tenors at the Met could sing Che Gelida Manina as well as you played it.

Nice resource.

ttf_Weston Sprott

www.westonsprott.com

The new article about playing in the trigger range is now posted. Feel free to check it out.

Weston

Quote from: Weston Sprott on Feb 20, 2011, 08:01AMFluor,
All of the playing tips will eventually become links. I try to do at least a couple of them every week. There will also be additional articles as well. I'd be happy to write something about playing in the low trigger register as well. Check back in the next week or so and something will be posted in the articles section.

Weston

ttf_monty

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_monty »

Quote from: Weston Sprott on Feb 24, 2011, 06:55PMThe new article about playing in the trigger range is now posted. Feel free to check it out.

Weston

Great info Weston!  As a follow up to this article, I'd love to hear your thoughts on hitting individual trigger notes (ie. when they're not connected to other notes as part of a phase).  I can usually play them when I have a whole phase descending into, or completely within, the trigger range, but when I have to pop out single trigger notes - especially at volume - I find I often just get air ... phfffft.

Keep up the great work!

Peter.

ttf_Weston Sprott

www.westonsprott.com

Monty,
I think getting these things to pop out immediately and separately is really just a matter of having an air stream that responds IMMEDIATELY after the seal of the tongue is broken. If the air is right behind the tongue and moving at a high rate of speed, the note should speak immediately and fully. Jay Friedman has written extensively about getting notes to respond immediately. I would check out some of his articles on jayfriedman.net. He explains it about as well as anyone can. I get into this topic a little bit under my playing tip "tongued air start". Try that exercise. I think you might like it.

Weston

Quote from: monty on Feb 24, 2011, 08:01PMGreat info Weston!  As a follow up to this article, I'd love to hear your thoughts on hitting individual trigger notes (ie. when they're not connected to other notes as part of a phase).  I can usually play them when I have a whole phase descending into, or completely within, the trigger range, but when I have to pop out single trigger notes - especially at volume - I find I often just get air ... phfffft.

Keep up the great work!

Peter.

ttf_Gabe Langfur

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

This looks great Weston. I like that your playing tips are brief but thorough, and very well worded for clarity. Bravo!

Also, I love the Ed Kleinhammer exercise...I think a lot of people don't realize that the key to the legendary sound of the Chicago Symphony brass - a tradition that is in fabulous hands today - is in soft playing even more than it is in loud dynamics. And in clarity of articulation even more than sustain.
ttf_blast

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_blast »

I am pleased to see this topic get a 'sticky'. Great that you have put in the time and effort to help others, Weston... and I remember you being a good contributor here way back before you won your job. Thanks.  Image Image

Chris Stearn
ttf_datguy

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_datguy »

Very good resource that I will refer back to regularly. Thanks!
I now have a new bookmarked website Image
ttf_monty

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_monty »

Quote from: Weston Sprott on Feb 27, 2011, 08:18AMMonty,
I think getting these things to pop out immediately and separately is really just a matter of having an air stream that responds IMMEDIATELY after the seal of the tongue is broken. If the air is right behind the tongue and moving at a high rate of speed, the note should speak immediately and fully. Jay Friedman has written extensively about getting notes to respond immediately. I would check out some of his articles on jayfriedman.net. He explains it about as well as anyone can. I get into this topic a little bit under my playing tip "tongued air start". Try that exercise. I think you might like it.

Weston
Thanks Weston,
I'll check that excercise out!  Still lots of stuff I haven't had a chance to look at on your site.  It's an excellent resource!

Monty.
ttf_Weston Sprott

www.westonsprott.com

For those who are interested, the playing tips section of my website has been updated considerably over the last few weeks. Check it out, and as always, feel free to provide comments or suggestions on things about the site that could be improved or subjects you would like to hear about.

Weston Sprott
www.westonsprott.com

ttf_baileyman

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Hey, I really like you vocal-ish style!
ttf_silvabone

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_silvabone »

Thank you so much! Your website is without a doubt an excellent source for us. Very good material and information.
ttf_dj kennedy

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

israe   butler speaks  highly of  you  --your website is  delightfully  simple  plus the soundtrack is  soothing 
---------------
  early anderson --oh  it would be great to  see you share some  thoughts with  early
-------------

ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This is a great website man. I am truly loving it, especially the trombone playing upon entering.  Image
ttf_ottisthetrombonist

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_ottisthetrombonist »

What a great website! Thank you for sharing! Really a great resource that can help players improve. Great work!
ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just want to say you're an awesome trombone player. I hope that one day I could play at your level.

ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Weston Sprott on Feb 19, 2011, 10:26PMFor those who may be interested... I recently launched a new design of my website. I am regularly updating the playing tips section with in depth details about how to improve your playing. So, for you younger guys who are scouring the internet for information, here's one more place to look. I hope some of these tips can be helpful. If you would like me to write about something in particular in the playing tips section or have thoughts for a new article, feel free to send me an email through the site and perhaps we will make something of it. All the best!

Weston Sprott

Great website! Lots of good information... I've visited a few times lately and learned a few things.  Would enjoy more solo clips if you had them.  Thanks.
ttf_anonymous

www.westonsprott.com

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Weston Sprott on Feb 19, 2011, 10:26PMFor those who may be interested... I recently launched a new design of my website. I am regularly updating the playing tips section with in depth details about how to improve your playing. So, for you younger guys who are scouring the internet for information, here's one more place to look. I hope some of these tips can be helpful. If you would like me to write about something in particular in the playing tips section or have thoughts for a new article, feel free to send me an email through the site and perhaps we will make something of it. All the best!

Weston Sprott

Great website! Lots of good information... I've visited a few times lately and learned a few things.  Would enjoy more solo clips if you had them.  Thanks.

Return to “Pedagogy”