USPS

Spin your yarns here.
RoscoTrombone

USPS

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Hey wasn't sure where to put this so have opted for here....I'm just wandering how general postal deliveries are in the US - I'm in the UK.

I had ordered a brassark pipe last year and when his kicked off I had resigned myself to waiting until it was much better so was shocked when I got the USPS notice...however it has taken from the 3rd - 28th April for it to get from LA to Chicago before it heads my way.

I was expecting things to take longer but that seems to be a bit extreme?

I'm going be sent another item in a couple of weeks time so I'm wondering if it will be the same...

Ross
hyperbolica

Re: USPS

Post by hyperbolica »

I sent an item from east to west coast, and it got there in a few days. An item going the other way is taking a week longer. Something I sent today going up two states is going to take 3 days. It all sounds reasonable to me. Not too much different from usual.

International is a different beast. I sent something APO/Germany, but haven't heard about it's arrival yet. So much can go wrong with international.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

In the last month I've had packages come to me in the midwest from the east coast in 1 day. I've shipped to another location in the mideast in one day. I've also had something located around 200 miles away take three weeks to get to me.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

It's mixed. Some things are progressing as normal. I've sent some other things to family though that have taken weeks when they should have been there in a day or two. They are definitely seeing some challenges.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bbocaner wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:37 pm It's mixed. Some things are progressing as normal. I've sent some other things to family though that have taken weeks when they should have been there in a day or two. They are definitely seeing some challenges.
:good:
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

So it seems to be a real mixed bag then as to the length of time. I just thought that taking over 4 weeks to get to Chicago was a bit unusual even in this climate. If it gets to me now in less than that then that'll be even more unusual!

Over here deliveries seem to be taking a bit longer for regular mail but not overly. Saying that though I've been waiting over 2 weeks for a book/cd coming from Austria as well.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Brexit may affect deliveries from Europe to the UK. Especially as things go forward.

Big issue from US to overseas is Customs at the destination.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 am ...it has taken from the 3rd - 28th April for it to get from LA to Chicago before it heads my way.
Defnitely something wrong there.

But right now I have one to Sweden that hasn't arrived yet, 33 days after I mailed it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I bought a couple of items and because the border is closed had them mailed to Canada. That means USPS > Canada Customs > Canada Post.

I don’t think anything will be lost but I’m not holding my breath while I wait for delivery.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I had a trombone shipped to me in SoCal from Philadelphia late in March; it took more the twice as long as USPS's "anticipated delivery",
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

I ordered some bits and pieces from NJ, USA on 26 March, to be shipped to Australia.

According to the USPS tracking they have been sitting in the Jamaica NY International Distribution Centre since 31 March.

The tracking service usually loses track of the goods after landing in Australia but advises when they have landed.

Australia Post has its own challenges as well at the moment.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Package number one arrived this morning, pretty much right on schedule.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

Surprisingly, I feel like I might be the only one that hasn't had shipping issues with USPS or UPS yet. I live in Chicago and everything I've ordered (which has been a decent amount this last month) has showed up on time. In fact, a couple of Amazon packages arrived a day earlier than expected.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I have a package that is not here yet shipped March 26th. If you want to ship use FedEx; I had several get through quickly with them.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Not sure about all the hate towards USPS shipping speed. I've actually been having things arrive faster than usual! One of those being international. Basically everything I've sent or had sent to me via Priority has taken the minimum 2 days.

Granted at the start of the pandemic USPS was a disaster. I had two packages take 2+ weeks and one international take over a month to get to their destination vs the advertised 2-3 days for stateside and 2 weeks for international.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

No "hate" for USPS here – but deliveries have been wildly inconsistent; some normal delivery time, some greatly extended. I think media mail (e.g., sheet music) is handled with the very lowest priority and thus takes a very long time.

My biggest gripe – which probably does deserve some hate – is that USPS managed to deliver a trombone, which I thought I had securely packed, with a severely wrinkled bell. The must have dropped it from a very substantial height onto a hard surface. Insured; claim filed Monday; no response yet after 4 days! I'm embarrassed and sickened by what they did to a fine musical instrument.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I shipped something usps from Japan at the beginning of April, it only just left Japan on the 24th by plane and hasn't been updated since. That is one slow plane!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 am I shipped something usps from Japan at the beginning of April, it only just left Japan on the 24th by plane and hasn't been updated since. That is one slow plane!
Have to stay in the air for 14 days to properly quarantine :wink:
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:16 am
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 am I shipped something usps from Japan at the beginning of April, it only just left Japan on the 24th by plane and hasn't been updated since. That is one slow plane!
Have to stay in the air for 14 days to properly quarantine :wink:
Circling over the Pacific Ocean for two weeks? :idk:
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Mv2541 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:38 pm If you want to ship use FedEx; I had several get through quickly with them.
In my experience, FedEx is BY FAR the worst parcel delivery service. BY. FAR.

Between packages showing as out for delivery not being delivered three days in a row because "the driver is out sick" (yes, the supervisor at the local depot actually tried to use that excuse, never mind our 24/7 security video from both entrances to our campus—which we sent him and Cc:ed his regional supervisor—showing the FedEx van driving past the church without turning in and the private school next door, ~200 yds beyond us, receiving deliveries on all three days), "there was no one there to sign for the package" (despite no FedEx van or driver appearing in any of the campus or building entrance security video on the dates in question), and constant mis-delivery of our packages to the school next door and their packages to us, we've canceled our FedEx account and told our regular vendors NOT to use FedEx to ship to us.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Welcome to my world of having to wait longer for things to arrive, lol!
Drew A.
Professional bum.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

sungfw wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:58 am
Mv2541 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:38 pm If you want to ship use FedEx; I had several get through quickly with them.
In my experience, FedEx is BY FAR the worst parcel delivery service. BY. FAR.

Between packages showing as out for delivery not being delivered three days in a row because "the driver is out sick" (yes, the supervisor at the local depot actually tried to use that excuse, never mind our 24/7 security video from both entrances to our campus—which we sent him and Cc:ed his regional supervisor—showing the FedEx van driving past the church without turning in and the private school next door, ~200 yds beyond us, receiving deliveries on all three days), "there was no one there to sign for the package" (despite no FedEx van or driver appearing in any of the campus or building entrance security video on the dates in question), and constant mis-delivery of our packages to the school next door and their packages to us, we've canceled our FedEx account and told our regular vendors NOT to use FedEx to ship to us.
Well, yeah.

Willlsooonnn!!!!!
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Well, yeah.

Willlsooonnn!!!!!
Oh man. I laughed way too hard at this. :lol: :pant:
Drew A.
Professional bum.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Well after arriving at Chicago on 28th April...the next update on 2nd May stated that it's in transit to the next facility....assuming that next facility is still in the States then that's been another 12 days.....it could have been delivered via hot air balloon quicker 🤨
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Yeah, USPS is very inconsistent right now. Some things arrive lightning fast, and others are delayed. The first month of the stay-at-home order, my mail was getting to me very consistently around noon every day. Now it comes as late as 8pm, and sometimes not at all. I'm guessing a lot of the regular mail carriers are out sick and they're using temps who don't know what they're doing.

Still WAY better than UPS. I don't think I've had a single UPS delivery actually get here on the scheduled delivery day. One package was on the driver's truck for 5 days during which time he failed to take it to my house. I don't think I ever would have gotten it if I hadn't, on the 5th day, seen the truck drive by, chased it down the street on foot, and got him to search his truck for 10 minutes. Only then did he find my package.

But Fedex is the worst. They are liars. Driver claimed to have made 3 delivery attempts but never left a door tag. Hours on the phone with customer service, and I still had to go pick it up myself. I will NEVER use Fedex. Worst experience of my life.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I've also started to notice deliveries coming in multiple waves - I've seen USPS go by delivering just packages and letter mail separately here in Chicago, which seems unusual, and I've seen UPS and Fedex go by multiple times in the same day. Maybe that's a city thing but I haven't seen it until just now.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:27 pm
RoscoTrombone wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 am ...it has taken from the 3rd - 28th April for it to get from LA to Chicago before it heads my way.
Defnitely something wrong there.

But right now I have one to Sweden that hasn't arrived yet, 33 days after I mailed it.
When I bought many horns from US it took 5-6 weeks to get them here every time. If the declared value was above a certain sum it got caught in the Swedish customs. The packet was then searched and I had to pay customs before it was sent to me. Custom takes another week. At one time a horn was lost and both the seller and I got the money from eBay., He got the winning bid and I got my money put back on my bank account. After another month the instrument arrived. That one I got for free :-)

/Tom
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I wanted to share this: I'm expecting a UPS package. Yesterday it said "out for delivery" but it never got here. Now they apparently don't even say "out for delivery" anymore. Now is just says "in transit", even though the delivery date is supposed to be today. This morning there was indeed a package at my door, but it was not mine. It was for a different address, even though I have a front gate with my street number in large lettering on it that the driver had to open to get to my house. So he presumably had my package in his truck, stopped at my house, failed to deliver my package, and gave me someone else's package instead. UPS is seriously having a meltdown.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

It is probably localized to certain areas and depends on worker shortages in certain areas. Largely populated areas are probably struggling to keep up with demand with the virus more than rural areas. Like said before, it's likely temp workers that are new and have no idea what's going on, probably to fill in for sick workers, who would generally work with the new guy to show them how the system works.

I'm happy that most of my stuff is getting here somewhere in the ballpark of on time.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

BurckhardtS wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 pm

I'm happy that most of my stuff is getting here somewhere in the ballpark of on time.
Must be nice. I wouldn't count on that necessarily continuing.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

We're actually pretty happy with UPS. We've had the same great driver, Steve, for several years. He had last week off; the sub was also pretty nice. Steve used to arrive here about 3:00-3:30pm, but recentlly it's been much later. Last night, he delivered a package, with his usual smile, at 6:00pm. Said he and many of his colleagues had been working 11-12 hours/day! He doesn't complain, but I hope they pay him overtime!

USPS normally delivers here by 1:30-2:00pm. Today, Juan arrived after 4:00pm; said he had 2 hours to go. He told me that he and his colleagues were now working 10+ hour days. Said it's mostly because of all the parcels they now have to deliver (and scan), often to front doors instead of to streetside mailboxes by leaning out the delivery truck door. In response to my question, he replied (with a smile [or was it a smirk?] behind his mask) that he's not always paid for the overtime he works.

In spite of this, I hear that Trump et al. are trying to drive USPS out of business, so mail service can be privatized. Hope this isn't true, but ... :idk:

I think all these folks deserve some sympathy, encouragement, and thanks during these difficult times. They're still trying hard to keep the economy – and our lives – afloat. :good:
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Well the plot thickens.....I've just bought another item from the States which was posted on Monday from the NY area and landed at London Heathrow on Wednesday but still no sign of the pipe posted on April 3rd!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I am waiting on three mouthpieces sent from LA eight weeks ago... I think they are gone.... if anybody sees a MV Bach 2G, a Minick V or a screw rim Parke Kaplan up for sale in the US they could well be stolen from the mail system. The screw rim Parke Kaplan is the most obvious candidate. I have pictures.

Chris
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I am experiencing the same right now. Waiting for two leadpipes from hornguys via USPS. Seems to be still in the US, last update from USPS is from 21st of May. Had another package coming through a few days ago which took quite a while, but had updates every other day.

It is a bit irritating.

But what is a bit more annoying: I have not yet find a way to inquire towards USPS on international packages. The case/ticketing system and phone contacts that they offer seem to work only for shipments within the US.
Does anyone have any idea on this?
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I got in touch with Noah at Brassark a couple of weeks ago and he said he was going to open an enquiry but reckons he won't get much joy if it's left the States.
The problem is my last update from May 2nd just says it's in transit to destination so I have no idea where it is. Lost in the Bermuda Triangle perhaps? Intercepted by some weird trombone playing aliens who don't want to pay customs charges from the US to their own planet??
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:01 am I got in touch with Noah at Brassark a couple of weeks ago and he said he was going to open an enquiry but reckons he won't get much joy if it's left the States.
The problem is my last update from May 2nd just says it's in transit to destination so I have no idea where it is. Lost in the Bermuda Triangle perhaps? Intercepted by some weird trombone playing aliens who don't want to pay customs charges from the US to their own planet??
Sounds really like exactly the same situation as mine...
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I have had no problems at all with usps, but ups is a disaster. Bought a tuba that took several days longer to get here, was not delivered at the set appointment time (ups freight), cost 3x what we had expected, and showed up with damage. Ordered a new axle for my mower, got 2nd day shipping because it's a freaking jungle in my backyard. Still not here 10 days after it was shipped. They have "opened an inquiry".
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Sent a King double horn to a buddy by USPS truck. It took several days longer than expected, but $50 seemed like a good deal. The King case looked like good packaging, so they slapped a label on the side and sent it off. No damage.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've had similar issues with stuff sent from China to the US. Tracking by China Post stops when it leaves China and there is no tracing once it comes into the US.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

FOSSIL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 am I am waiting on three mouthpieces sent from LA eight weeks ago... I think they are gone.... if anybody sees a MV Bach 2G, a Minick V or a screw rim Parke Kaplan up for sale in the US they could well be stolen from the mail system. The screw rim Parke Kaplan is the most obvious candidate. I have pictures.

Chris
Chris the tracking actually shows them as having entered the U.K as of today! Yay! I was going to be heartbroken if they actually got lost... that MV 2G is really special.

Yeah for anyone who has recently sent anything via USPS internationally or is waiting to receive something from the U.S don't be surprised if it takes over 2 months :eek:

For you guys with the MIA pipes maybe it has something to do with them leaving from Los Angeles? They could be super impacted... would explain why the mouthpieces I sent Chris are taking so long. It usually takes about 2-4 weeks to send internationally.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

WOW !!!!!! They arrived today !!!! Just a couple of days ago they were still marked as leaving US on April 25th then nothing.... now I have them. mrdeacon said I would laugh at the packing....and I did.... he put each one in a Symington tube. He is the best packer ever...those tubes were wrapped in protection and then boxed very well....a good job as the box looked like it had been thrown around for two months.
Happy ending...and yes, that 2G is spectacular.

Chris
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

PhilE wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:48 pm I ordered some bits and pieces from NJ, USA on 26 March, to be shipped to Australia.

According to the USPS tracking they have been sitting in the Jamaica NY International Distribution Centre since 31 March.

The tracking service usually loses track of the goods after landing in Australia but advises when they have landed.

Australia Post has its own challenges as well at the moment.
There's been no change to this one. The item location is still NY according to the tracker.

I purchased another item from a forum member which was shipped USPS through Chicago 4th May. It hasn't turned up either but I guess it's early days really.

It's very difficult to make contact with USPS from outside the US.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Well I checked again this morning and all of a sudden it's at the customs depot in England!! Next step is to see how much I have to pay but it's not as if I'm spending my money on much else which a boon! I haven't filled the car up since the start of lockdown on 23rd March and haven't even used half a tank. That money has been invested elsewhere 😁

I hope everyone else who has been waiting a long time gets their items soon!

Ross
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

mrdeacon wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 amFor you guys with the MIA pipes maybe it has something to do with them leaving from Los Angeles? They could be super impacted... would explain why the mouthpieces I sent Chris are taking so long. It usually takes about 2-4 weeks to send internationally.
Los Angeles is still in pretty bad spot, viruswise. For all you know, your packages could be sitting in facilities that are shut down because of a localized outbreak.

I wonder if they've instituted 72-hour wait points at various places in the system? Have one person in serious protective gear unload the pallets into a holding area, let them sit for at least 72 hours, and they should be largely virus-free.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I ordered some microphones from Sweden near the end of May. Used PostNord as the shipping service. It made it to Stockholm, but has been not updated since. Anyone in Scandinavia know if PostNord is having issues? I'm patient, but it would be cool to know if anyone has had a similar experience.
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

I had a mouthpiece arrive to me in the UK today that was posted in the US on the 7th April.

So 2 months is pretty standard at the moment.

The seller was excellent at keeping in touch and chasing things from their end.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Coolio
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Well my pipe still seems to be at the customs depot & my other item which arrived in the UK last Wednesday still hasn't made it to me either.... typical!!
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Customs will hold things up another week or so. Packages with a declared value of (I think?) over £15 will attract import duty which adds to the delay.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I don´t hate USPS, but they oviously have som problems. My mpc was sent from WI May 04, tracked May 12,2020 at 12,43 pm processe trough regions facility chicago IL internation distribution center.
After that nothing. I tried to contact usps for hours, impossible. I tried the Nordpost and the custom in Sweden with no luck. Well I do have mouthpieces.....

As German Trombone said;
But what is a bit more annoying: I have not yet find a way to inquire towards USPS on international packages. The case/ticketing system and phone contacts that they offer seem to work only for shipments within the US.
Does anyone have any idea on this?

Return to “Tangents”