Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

ttf_HowardW

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_HowardW »

Does anybody out there know who Rimsky-Korsakov wrote his Trombone Concerto for?

Howard
ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

I'm currently writing a thesis on this concerto
It was written in 1877 for the Cronstandt Performances with the Russian Navy Band (it was premiered in the same performance as the Oboe concercto)
The soloist in the premier was Warrent Officer Lyenoff
anything else you need I may be able to help. Maybe
ttf_HowardW

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_HowardW »

Thanks!
Howard
ttf_Stan

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Stan »

Hi Howard,

If I recall, just about all the info you need about concerto can be found in RK's My Musical Life.  There's even some tantalizing evidence for WHY RK composed the concerto for trombone of all things.

Stan
ttf_boneagain

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Dombat on Apr 02, 2009, 09:17PMI'm currently writing a thesis on this concerto
It was written in 1877 for the Cronstandt Performances with the Russian Navy Band (it was premiered in the same performance as the Oboe concercto)
The soloist in the premier was Warrent Officer Lyenoff
anything else you need I may be able to help. Maybe

Any chance of getting a PDF of your thesis once you've finished?
ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

I'll have to check uni policy on publishing etc. but it should be fine. Finishing in about 3 weeks,
working title: The Bb/F trombone in David and Rimsky-Korsakov: A study of the development of the Romantic Trombone
ttf_ParLawGod

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_ParLawGod »

That sounds very interesting! If allowed, you should post it on the forum here...it would be a great resource!!!
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I too would enjoy reading your thesis. I stumbled upon the Concerto on youtube and instantly fell in love with it. I enjoy most of RK's works, especially Processions of the Nobles. I intend on performing his concerto one day and I would really appreciate it if I could learn everything I can from him and his piece.
ttf_Jeff Smith

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Jeff Smith »

I would really like to read the thesis, as well.
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

An additional bump to this topic...I'd also be interested in reading if available.
ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

totally forgot. I'll see what I can do.

there she is
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sweet! Thanks!
ttf_boneagain

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_boneagain »

It's at the top of my reading stack now!
ttf_sabot

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_sabot »

Read it and enjoyed it.
Nice work!
ttf_boneagain

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Finished it at lunch today.  I really liked the ideas you collated from your sources, and the hypothesis you developed and supported.  What capped it off was that it was actually READABLE!

Nice job!

And thanks for sharing!
ttf_Jeff Smith

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Jeff Smith »

Thanks for sharing.
ttf_bassvocal

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_bassvocal »

Thanks so much for providing this!  I will definitely be holding onto this for future reference as well.

Thank you for sharing this research with us!
ttf_robcat2075

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

It looks interesting.  The first page (20) I turned to had this typo...

QuoteThe David concerto has been continuously played by professional players with orchestras and wind bands and has been recorded numerous times by famous trombone performers such as Christian Lindberg and Branimir Slokar exist
I'm presuming that "exist" isn't really part of a three-part name such as "Branimir Slokar Exist"

ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

yeah, I had to hand it in sometime and didn't proof read it in as much detail as I wanted. There is also a typo in the first paragraph that I can remember seeing as I handed it in.
ttf_boneagain

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Dombat on Oct 08, 2009, 07:43PMyeah, I had to hand it in sometime and didn't proof read it in as much detail as I wanted. There is also a typo in the first paragraph that I can remember seeing as I handed it in.

Speaking of "handing it in..." I hope your committee liked it as much as I did!
How'd you do?
Are you Dr. Dombat now?
ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

that was just for honours. I got 86% for it. Starting a masters some time next year.
ttf_boneagain

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Dombat on Oct 09, 2009, 06:24PMthat was just for honours. I got 86% for it. Starting a masters some time next year.

Would "Good on yer, mate" be appropriate?  I rated the paper higher than that, but that's still pretty respectable!
ttf_Dombat

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Dombat »

unfortunatly I got beaten by my percussionist girlfriend who got 88 for an approach to performing works for percussion and pre-recorded media.
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Rimsky-Korsakov wrote a concert at the request of an heir to the throne of Alexander. Emperor (1881) Alexander
Russian Emperor professionally played the trombone.
ttf_BGuttman

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Glog on May 21, 2016, 06:38PMRimsky-Korsakov wrote a concert at the request of an heir to the throne of Alexander. Emperor (1881) Alexander
Russian Emperor professionally played the trombone.

I was under the impression that Tsar Alexander III played bassoon.  Tsar Nicholas played oboe.
ttf_Glog

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Glog »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 21, 2016, 07:24PMI was under the impression that Tsar Alexander III played bassoon.

The trombone and efoneiume-Helicon (B) Trombone Alexander III on display in St. Petersburg Museum of Theatre Institute,
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 21, 2016, 07:24PMI was under the impression that Tsar Alexander III played bassoon.  Tsar Nicholas played oboe.

Tsar Alexander III played trombone and Helicon, and was the most successful Tsar in Russian history.
His son Nicholas II played the cornet and trumpet and was the most unfortunate Tsar.

Maybe Nicholas needed to play the trombone?
ttf_BGuttman

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Interesting.  Because in the book "Nicholas and Alexandra" they talked about the Tsars playing woodwinds: Alexander on bassoon and Nicholas on oboe.

I guess you guys are closer to the original details.

Nicholas was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  First the Revolution of 1905, then the disastrous Russo-Japanese war, and World War I.  No wonder the Revolution occurred.

I'm interested in the Russo-Japanese war because a band I play in was part of the entertainment for the Treaty of Portsmouth talks in 1906.  We participated in the centenary celebration.
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's an article in english language. Approximately in the middle they mention Alexander's III trombone playing:  http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=CHP18930303.2.13
ttf_Trombocholik

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 27, 2016, 01:09PM
Nicholas was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  First the Revolution of 1905, then the disastrous Russo-Japanese war, and World War I.  No wonder the Revolution occurred.

I'm interested in the Russo-Japanese war because a band I play in was part of the entertainment for the Treaty of Portsmouth talks in 1906.  We participated in the centenary celebration.

I think that Nicholas II was the wrong man for the Tsar. A weak and foolish Tsar is a disaster for such a huge country as Russia. (IMHO)
A little off topic. Here the beautiful old waltz "On the hills of Manchuria " dedicated to fallen Russian soldiers in the Russo Japanese war.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4pFYVneX8
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Nice.  Is that the Defense Ministry Band?  It's HUGE!!
ttf_Trombocholik

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Yes,  it's Defence Ministery Band.
Famous Victor Batashov recorded the Rimsky Korsakov Concerto with him in 1960' years.
ttf_BGuttman

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have the recording with Batashov and the DMB.  Also has the Clarinet Concerto by Rimsky-Korsakov (don't remember the soloist).

According to the liner notes, Rimsky did not write it for the Tsar, although the Tsar may have played it.
ttf_robcat2075

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Aside from Prussia's Frederick the Great, I can't think of any case of any European royalty playing a musical instrument in front of an audience, public or otherwise.

Are there known occurrences?
ttf_BGuttman

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

According to the book "Nicholas and Alexandra", neither did the Tsars.  They did mostly private performances.

Then again, if you went to a performance by a Tsar and didn't cheer your head off, they could take your head off Image

Henry VIII of England was an accomplished musician and did some performances for his extended court.
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: robcat2075 on May 28, 2016, 10:26AMAside from Prussia's Frederick the Great, I can't think of any case of any European royalty playing a musical instrument in front of an audience, public or otherwise.

Are there known occurrences?

The King of Sweden, Carl XVI Gustaf, playing the trombone at a horse race course (!) in 1983:

ttf_BGuttman

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Left handed? Image Image

Incidentally, on the American side:

Bill Clinton played saxophone on TV (I think it was Saturday Night Live)
Harry Truman accompanied his daughter Margaret in a public concert at the White House.

I'm not sure if any other Presidents were accomplished musicians.
ttf_BillO

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Trombocholik on May 24, 2016, 05:09AMMaybe Nicholas needed to play the trombone?

More authority for sure!
ttf_robcat2075

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 28, 2016, 11:02AM
I'm not sure if any other Presidents were accomplished musicians.

Perhaps not accomplished, but capable...

https://www.youtube.com/v/MCsGSMze_6Q

skip to about 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/v/W2aTHAh4T-0
ttf_anonymous

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Playing this Concerto in the spring!  Very interesting thesis, thank you very much for providing it
ttf_bubbachet

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 28, 2016, 11:02AM
Bill Clinton played saxophone on TV (I think it was Saturday Night Live)

I believe it was the Arsenio Hall show.
ttf_robcat2075

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Regarding other royal musicians...

I have since found out that Russian Czar Alexander III is alleged to have been a brass player in his early life.

"Czar Alexandre III, a great fan of brasses, was a patron of music. Not content to found the Imperial Court Orchestra (the future Leningrad Philharmonic; today the St Petersburg Philharmonic), he also played several wind instruments himself: cornet, horn and tuba,"

Alexander third from left in back row...

ttf_robcat2075

Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Regarding other royal musicians...

I have since found out that Russian Czar Alexander III is alleged to have been a brass player in his early life.

"Czar Alexandre III, a great fan of brasses, was a patron of music. Not content to found the Imperial Court Orchestra (the future Leningrad Philharmonic; today the St Petersburg Philharmonic), he also played several wind instruments himself: cornet, horn and tuba,"

Alexander third from left in back row...

Return to “History of the Trombone”