New Rath valve?

WGWTR180

New Rath valve?

Post by WGWTR180 »

Just saw a pic of what appears to be a new Rath "rotary" type valve. Saw nothing on their website. Anyone know anything?
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Re: New Rath valve?

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

From Facebook. New valve for his new R6 model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I don't know enough about valve design to know how this differs from a normal rotor. Is it the angles of entry?

Also interested to see what the R6 turns out to be.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think it's just Mick wanting to make his own valves and not having to source Rotax anymore. Same as Edwards recently.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 pm I think it's just Mick wanting to make his own valves and not having to source Rotax anymore. Same as Edwards recently.
You're probably right.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

The R6 was explained to me as being a new instrument that is designed to appeal to symphony players, and that this valve and a few other unique design elements (such as a tuning slide brace) were towards that end. I don't believe it's intended to replace any of the existing valve options. And while it's a Rath-branded valve, I'd be surprised if the valve itself were manufactured at Rath.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Looks like what Thein calls "star valves".
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:27 am From Facebook. New valve for his new R6 model.
I don't really know why, but I love schematics and mock-ups. It's so exciting!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bbocaner wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 pm And while it's a Rath-branded valve, I'd be surprised if the valve itself were manufactured at Rath.
Even if they aren't manufacturing them themselves, there's no licensing or other costs like with Rotax. Just paying another shop to make their own design. Rotax are crazy expensive.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Neo Bri wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm I don't really know why, but I love schematics and mock-ups. It's so exciting!
Control yourself, Brian! :pant:
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm I don't really know why, but I love schematics and mock-ups. It's so exciting!
Control yourself, Brian! :pant:
It's so weird. It's a thing I noticed fairly recently. I just love schematics! Anyway - back on topic. Sorry!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Looks like the tubing going into the ports is nice and straight
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Just read on FB that these valves will be an option on their basses in the future.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

These look similar to the Kanstul CR (controlled resistance) valves.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 am These look similar to the Kanstul CR (controlled resistance) valves.
I think these are solid core valves though. The CR valves are somewhat hollow on the inside, and aren't milled out from a solid piece of brass like most rotors.

I am going to guess that the smooth approach in the knuckles is key, and it looks like those little "divots" between the ports are probably for internal venting, somewhat like the valve that Yamaha uses on their 822OR.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Does it look like the valve casing is milled out of a single block of metal rather than being a short section of tubing with ports machined in and knuckles brazed in place? That would be a pretty novel innovation and would explain why the whole valve looks so "chonky," as my daughter would put it.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

bbocaner wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:16 am Does it look like the valve casing is milled out of a single block of metal rather than being a short section of tubing with ports machined in and knuckles brazed in place? That would be a pretty novel innovation and would explain why the whole valve looks so "chonky," as my daughter would put it.
It definitely looks like it. With the wonders of CNC machining it's pretty easy to make just about anything, repeatedly, with computer accuracy. As long as the blades are kept in good shape. We'll have to wait and see, but it definitely looks like it will be interesting.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I'm hoping they are not CR valves.
JonTheCadet

Post by JonTheCadet »

I think it looks more like this...

https://shop.voigt-brass.de/en/MASTER-I ... 88-FO.html

I find it interesting that not only has Rath made a new valve design, but he has dedicated a whole new line of tenor trombones to this valve - the R6. I spotted a few changes, and perhaps you can find more:

-Single-radius (less square-y), braced tuning slide, no R logo
-Braced attachment

I guess this is Rath's concept of an improved 88H. Conns are generally more favourable than Bachs in the UK (vice versa trumpets). I've met a few conservatoire students and most of them play 88Hs of different vintage - I've only met one who plays a Shires with a 2RVE bell. Perhaps soon Rath will launch an R7 bass trombone with 62H aspects - who knows.

Again, that is all a speculation.

'I wish I can afford it' Jon
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

That's interesting, but there definitely is an "88h" market in the UK, that's for sure, thanks to Denis Wick.

Though, Conn's definitely Do have a dual radius tuning slide, though not quite as dual radius as the Rath tuning slide.

These are the "star valves" which THein uses sometimes:

https://thein-blechblasinstrumente.de/0 ... valves.php
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am That's interesting, but there definitely is an "88h" market in the UK, that's for sure, thanks to Denis Wick.

Though, Conn's definitely Do have a dual radius tuning slide, though not quite as dual radius as the Rath tuning slide.

Yeah, well...show me the schematics! ^_^
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am That's interesting, but there definitely is an "88h" market in the UK, that's for sure, thanks to Denis Wick.

Stomvi has a similar design. The X port shape doesn't have a lot to do with the internals, though.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

yes, thein star valves have that X shape to the way the ports come out of it, but it's very much made like a traditional valve. I think burgerbob is right that this does outwardly look very similar to the stomvi titan valve.

To me, Rath R4(F) has always played like an 88h. Yes, the tuning slide and slide crook are squared off waaaay more than you'd see on an 88h or even a 42b, but it does have a certain Conn vibe to it.

Rath R3 feels a lot more like a Bach 36 to me, though, even though it shares some components in common with the R4. And the small-bore Raths feel similar to Bachs for sure.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:38 pmStomvi has a similar design. The X port shape doesn't have a lot to do with the internals, though.
I wonder what the inside of the Stomvi looks like. It's definitely a large valve. Looks a bunch larger than the Meinlschmidt "Open Flow" valves, which also have some straighter approach angles for the knuckles.

The walls of the Rath design look pretty thick. Are rotor casings usually that beefy?
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

There's a video on the stomvi valve here:

It has some similarities but appears to have some differences as well.

The big difference about the rath valve is that the first little bit of the "knuckles" seems to be machined into the casing rather than being a bent tube that is brazed in.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

And here's the real thing................ :pant:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Looks NICE.

Return to “Instruments”