Schilke Reichenbach Bass Mouthpiece

jeremyesmith

Schilke Reichenbach Bass Mouthpiece

Post by jeremyesmith »

I noticed in the ITF 2019 Program Book that the Bill Reichenbach/Greenhoe ad mention a NEW Schilke-Reichenbach Designed Mouthpiece.

Does anyone know anything about this?!

Thanks,
Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
fwbassbone

Re: Schilke Reichenbach Bass Mouthpiece

Post by fwbassbone »

I played one at the Greenhoe display. Nice piece, seemed like it was Ferguson L sized. A little too small for me but it did play well.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

He’s playing Greenhoe bass trombones (Schilke) these days.

Mind you, there’s been a Marc Reichenbach mpc for a long time. In fact, I just got one (EBTB1) from Mpc Exp. Too bad I ordered a Peebles (ET1).
Last edited by Bach5G on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMudge

Post by JMudge »

I took a look at it and talked to the Schilke rep at ITF. He said rim diameter is between a 58 and 59 but with a shallow cup. He described it as very responsive and efficient. I didn't get a chance to play it but the weight seemed to be similar to other Schilke pieces. Nice outer shape. Rim profile looked semi-rounded and had a smaller throat. Of course, I may not be remembering very well. Anyway, hope it helps.

J.
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

Thanks Everyone!
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
bellend

Post by bellend »

I thought Bill Reichenbach had been playing a George Roberts S.O. model mouthpiece since he stopped using the Minick L some years back ?

If this mouthpiece is an accurate copy of the Roberts it should be great as they make 'That Sound' :eek:

Most people using buckets will of course find it way too small which would of course mean them having to practice to achieve any results :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BellEnd
bellend

Post by bellend »

Sent an inquiry to Schilke about this piece and here's the reply, sounds very interesting.

Thank you for your inquiry. We debuted the new Schilke Reichenbach bass trombone mouthpiece at ITF earlier this month. We are in the process of finalizing pricing now. The mouthpiece will be available for dealers to order starting next week. You would need to speak to a dealer at that time for a price quote. In the U.K., Phil Parker is the authorized dealer/distributor for Schilke mouthpieces.

SCHILKE - REICHENBACH Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Designed working with Greenhoe Performing Artist Bill Reichenbach, the Schilke – Reichenbach bass trombone mouthpiece features a medium cup, comfortable semi-round rim contour, modified bass backbore and all new exterior profile. This mouthpiece offers an efficient and comfortable design, is full of color and even in feel from the highest range through to the lowest pedal tones.

Inner Cup Diameter - 28.17mm / 1.109”
Throat - K (.281”)

Bill had played the “S.O.” for a number of years. This new mouthpiece incorporates many concepts from that design, but with improvements that make it more effortless in the upper register and offering a quicker response than the vintage “S.O.”.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

What was the SO?
johnnymack

Post by johnnymack »

George Roberts had helped in designing 4 Bass Trb. mouthpieces. The SO( The Largest), The NY and 2 others which I don't remember. They were available for sale thru California Music Supply House. Noah Gladstone had chimed in on a TTF post from someone looking to buy/ sell a complete set. He said George Roberts got Screwed on the Deal and did not make any money for his participation. Back in 1978 George Roberts came and performed with a concert band in Sarasota FL while I was a senior in high school. He gave me an SO and a friend the NY models.He said it was basically an Oversize 1 1/2G. My opinion after playing it for a year was it was similar to a 1 1/4gm Bach in a similar weighted blank. Super NIce Guy and Great player. Definitely a Cherished memory.
bellend

Post by bellend »

johnnymack wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:08 pm George Roberts had helped in designing 4 Bass Trb. mouthpieces. The SO( The Largest), The NY and 2 others which I don't remember. They were available for sale thru California Music Supply House. Noah Gladstone had chimed in on a TTF post from someone looking to buy/ sell a complete set. He said George Roberts got Screwed on the Deal and did not make any money for his participation. Back in 1978 George Roberts came and performed with a concert band in Sarasota FL while I was a senior in high school. He gave me an SO and a friend the NY models.He said it was basically an Oversize 1 1/2G. My opinion after playing it for a year was it was similar to a 1 1/4gm Bach in a similar weighted blank. Super NIce Guy and Great player. Definitely a Cherished memory.

Actually there were 5 mouthpieces in the set M.V. /N.Y. /C.E. /S.E. and the S.O.

Personally I don't think the S.O. plays like a Bach at all it's much more focused and responsive (just my opinion)

All the mouthpieces are the same outside profile and come in very tight ( thin wall thickness) at the throat which I think is part of what makes them so good.

I'll be getting a Schilke to try I think......

BellEnd
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

bellend wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 am Sent an inquiry to Schilke about this piece and here's the reply, sounds very interesting.

Thank you for your inquiry. We debuted the new Schilke Reichenbach bass trombone mouthpiece at ITF earlier this month. We are in the process of finalizing pricing now. The mouthpiece will be available for dealers to order starting next week. You would need to speak to a dealer at that time for a price quote. In the U.K., Phil Parker is the authorized dealer/distributor for Schilke mouthpieces.

SCHILKE - REICHENBACH Bass Trombone Mouthpiece

Designed working with Greenhoe Performing Artist Bill Reichenbach, the Schilke – Reichenbach bass trombone mouthpiece features a medium cup, comfortable semi-round rim contour, modified bass backbore and all new exterior profile. This mouthpiece offers an efficient and comfortable design, is full of color and even in feel from the highest range through to the lowest pedal tones.

Inner Cup Diameter - 28.17mm / 1.109”
Throat - K (.281”)

Bill had played the “S.O.” for a number of years. This new mouthpiece incorporates many concepts from that design, but with improvements that make it more effortless in the upper register and offering a quicker response than the vintage “S.O.”.
Interesting that he chose the K throat; it seems most people are playing that on large tenor right? Probably plays like a 1 1/2 with a bigger rim.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m told it is a little bigger than a 1 1/2 G and a little lighter than a standard Schilke blank. More efficient than his SO.

If it made me play half as well as BR, I’d buy 2.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellend

Post by bellend »

Here's a little clip of Bill playing what I'm assuming is the prototype of his new mouthpiece. Sounds superb as usual!

Enjoy

BellEnd
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I got a notification from Dillon that they had one in but it must have got snapped up almost immediately. Anyone here get it?

So they’re shipping...
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Ordered one from Dillon’s today.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Mine arrived and I had a chance to play it for about 45 min.

I’ve been playing a Kanstul GR and a Hammond 20. The Schilke is based on Bill’s G Roberts SO. I wasn’t surprised that it felt familiar.

My overall impression is that it is responsive and efficient, so the descriptions set out above are pretty accurate. The rim is quite thin and, yes, rounded, so flexibility is good. The tone is very even through all registers. Good high range. Especially nice sound through the mid to low range. Overall, it seems very refined. It doesn’t feel particularly Schilke-like, for what that’s worth.

Overall, a nice mpc.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Mine arrived today from Dillions. I warmed up for about a half hour then went to a brass band rehearsal. It worked very well but being a smaller it does feel different than a larger piece. It is very centered and even from top to bottom. I of course was worried about stuff below the staff but it went well just a different feel. It is going to take some getting used to but I'm planning on using it on the next concert series. A very viable smaller piece.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Full discloser, I'm back on my GP6. It just works better for me.
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

fwbassbone wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:23 pm Full discloser, I'm back on my GP6. It just works better for me.
Would you be interested in selling your Reichenbach mouthpiece? I've been curious to try one.

Return to “Mouthpieces”