Similar to Bordogni

ttf_savio

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_savio »

Is there any other book that is similar to the Bordogni melodies out there? Marco Bordogni died in 1856. Is there other melodic etudes written in more modern time that is also melodic like the Bordogni etudes?

Leif
ttf_anonymous

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I like to play the Telemann Flute Fantasies. Lot's of melodic fun on Trombone Image
ttf_BGuttman

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you want something in a more modern idiom, the Tommy Pederson books are very good.

Singers are still  using Bordogni, though.
ttf_anonymous

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Pichareau 30 recreative studies and Busser Etudes Melodiques are really nice options.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I like Cimera as well, which are sort of Bordogni lite. Shorter (3-4 lines). I like to do a series of them in different octaves and clefs.

There's a nice set of melodious etudes for tuba by Rys.
ttf_john sandhagen

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

I prefer Seiber, Concone, and Marchesi to Bordogni.

Especially the 8-measure studies by Seiber.

ttf_robcat2075

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I will second the vocalises of Mathilde Marchesi.

Similar to Bordogni but shorter and more interesting.

The set of 12 in Op. 13 is a good set.
ttf_The Bone Ranger

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_The Bone Ranger »

Some of my favourite lyrical etudes are in the Grigoriev Etudes. Gorgeous writing.

Andrew
ttf_trombonemetal

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Snedecor Lyric Etudes
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Tommy Pederson is out of print (or was when I was in college) but you can get it through inter-library loan from a few university libraries.

They are more diverse in style and not all lyrical/legato, but they are fantastic.

Some of Blazhevich's clef studies are very lyrical as well.
ttf_bonenick

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I guess that Concone Vocalises can be used as well, but they are hardly any more modern than Bordogni's...
ttf_savio

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_savio »

Hmmm....so there is a lot to try out! Thanks!

Leif
ttf_anonymous

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bordogni's own duet etudes, a book of twelve of them, are difficult and high, but fun.  Both parts also make musical sense played alone or played with Bordogni's piano accompaniments.
ttf_anonymous

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Suzuki Cello Books are MY jam!
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Or for something off the beaten path you could try, "24 Italian songs and arias," for medium high or medium low voice.

Marco Bordogni's students would have sung many of these songs and arias. Thus, his vocalises prepared them and you, indirectly, to sing/play them. If you read treble clef, play it down an octave (as a male singer would). If you read Bb transposing treble clef, play it that way, or read as tenor clef and add two flats (or take away two #s). I suppose you could transcribe it to bass clef.

There are various benefits including:
1) It's cheap: online, yard sale, maybe even free...
2) Most pianists have played most, if not all of these and the piano part is included right on the page. So, you can find an accompanist readily (provided you play written notes/key).
3) Besides the benefits to classical playing, you are developing skills for reading off of a lead sheet/song chart.
4) You can listen to numerous singers performing them (especially tenors and baritones) for reference.
5) Probably the most significant benefits are developing a legato, singing-style, of playing and being able to see the phrasing, since you can follow the text.

So, when you go back to the "Melodius Etudes" you can see why Rochut and later editors chose these exercises. You will begin to see the "vocal" phrasing in them and other lyrical etudes and pieces.

For a  beautiful solo in this singing-style, try "Vocalise" by Sergei Rachmaninoff. Originally for voice, there are numerous transcriptions for different instruments. But I'm partial to the one for trombone by Keith Brown.

A vocalise is literally a song, or exercise, with no words.

ttf_timothy42b

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

These aren't any more modern, dating to 1859.

But I've been using the Arban's Art of Phrasing section.  There are 150 very short lyrical tunes, obviously vocal melodies taken from popular songs of the day.  I hardly recognize any of them so it is also an exercise in sightreading, something I don't do enough of.  They were public domain on IMSLP.  They are treble clef of course.  I play them as written for a range exercise, and then in tenor, alto, and mezzo clef as clef exercises.  Clef exercises on the alto pBone really make my brain hurt, which is probably a good thing. 
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: timothy42b on Yesterday at 05:17 AMThese aren't any more modern, dating to 1859.

But I've been using the Arban's Art of Phrasing section.  There are 150 very short lyrical tunes, obviously vocal melodies taken from popular songs of the day.  I hardly recognize any of them so it is also an exercise in sightreading, something I don't do enough of.  They were public domain on IMSLP.  They are treble clef of course.  I play them as written for a range exercise, and then in tenor, alto, and mezzo clef as clef exercises.  Clef exercises on the alto pBone really make my brain hurt, which is probably a good thing. 
Another excellent suggestion.
ttf_savio

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on May 11, 2017, 10:47PMOr for something off the beaten path you could try, "24 Italian songs and arias," for medium high or medium low voice.

Marco Bordogni's students would have sung many of these songs and arias. Thus, his vocalises prepared them and you, indirectly, to sing/play them. If you read treble clef, play it down an octave (as a male singer would). If you read Bb transposing treble clef, play it that way, or read as tenor clef and add two flats (or take away two #s). I suppose you could transcribe it to bass clef.

There are various benefits including:
1) It's cheap: online, yard sale, maybe even free...
2) Most pianists have played most, if not all of these and the piano part is included right on the page. So, you can find an accompanist readily (provided you play written notes/key).
3) Besides the benefits to classical playing, you are developing skills for reading off of a lead sheet/song chart.
4) You can listen to numerous singers performing them (especially tenors and baritones) for reference.
5) Probably the most significant benefits are developing a legato, singing-style, of playing and being able to see the phrasing, since you can follow the text.

So, when you go back to the "Melodius Etudes" you can see why Rochut and later editors chose these exercises. You will begin to see the "vocal" phrasing in them and other lyrical etudes and pieces.

For a  beautiful solo in this singing-style, try "Vocalise" by Sergei Rachmaninoff. Originally for voice, there are numerous transcriptions for different instruments. But I'm partial to the one for trombone by Keith Brown.

A vocalise is literally a song, or exercise, with no words.

I got them! Very nice, thanks! And i have the big Arban cornet method, never used it much. Anyway so many good suggestions here. Didn't know there is so much out there Image

Leif

Leif
ttf_W/SBTRB

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

How about trying Pierre Rode 15 Caprices edited by Keith Brown for bass trombone or tenor trombone with f attachment. Rode was a concert violinist and composer having composed a number of violin concerti. The 15 Caprices were originally for violin and there was 24 of them. Mendelssohn was a protege of Rode. These are very difficult due to range, clef changes, and technical demands particularly the bass trombone.

Regarding Rochut....Larry Campbell had me transpose them to tenor clef and play down the octave. John Mead have me play them in remote keys
ttf_bbone1

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_bbone1 »

I second the CIMERA etudes. Short, compact, beautifully written, easy to play in different keys and great to include in your daily fundamentals session.Image
ttf_bbone1

Similar to Bordogni

Post by ttf_bbone1 »

I second the CIMERA etudes. Short, compact, beautifully written, easy to play in different keys and great to include in your daily fundamentals session.Image

Return to “Practice Room”