Question for players using a Remington shank mouthpiece

ttf_Dr Dave

Post by ttf_Dr Dave »

We at Wedge mouthpieces will soon begin to offer a Remington shank option. In deciding how to design the blank it would be helpful to know what players need in terms of size, as it will influence throat and backbore options.

For those players with horns requiring a Remington shank, what mouthpiece size are you currently using, and what would you like to see available? Thanks in advance for the input. This will help me better meet player's needs.
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

I don't mean to say this is particularly any use to you, but since it's a mouthpiece we don't see around much and someone might find the information useful someday - I'm using a Reynolds 2B.

inside rim diameter 27.8mm
cup depth similar to Bach 1½G, but shape is more conical
rim a little flattened, with a rounded inner edge
throat 7.14mm

Was also happy with a Conn 3B, which is a little larger inside, more rounded cup, sharper rim.

I am not looking for any more trombone mouthpieces, but bless you for making a Brown & Sharpe taper shank option.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

On the rare occasion I play old Conn trombones ( 88H and 72H ) I don't like to over do it in terms of size. I've used a modified 1 1/2G most recently. It works well. But I do think old Conn pieces ( go figure ) sound better. A Bach 5GL also works. Personally I like the sound not the size.

I would guess that Conn players would like to see reproductions.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

This is just my opinion, but the Schilke 51 is a perfect match for Remington shank 88H trombones, improving centering and helps line up the partials better. Just copy the Schilke 51 with the original long shank, but offer different rims and you're there! For Bass trombone the Schilke 59 and 60 with the original long shank work very well with Remington taper leapipes in bass trombones. Most of the issues with these mouthpieces come from using them on instruments that don't have Remington tapers.
ttf_JESimmons

Post by ttf_JESimmons »

I've used a Shilke 53 since 1971, so I would assume this is the long shank model.  Before that it was a Bach 6.5AL made for the 88h.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I would like to get a Bach 3G or 4G size mouthpiece in a Remington Taper. 
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

----

I use a Connstellation 3B in my 71H.

===
ttf_The Sheriff

Quote from: modelerdc on May 14, 2017, 09:23PMThis is just my opinion, but the Schilke 51 is a perfect match for Remington shank 88H trombones, improving centering and helps line up the partials better. Just copy the Schilke 51 with the original long shank, but offer different rims and you're there! For Bass trombone the Schilke 59 and 60 with the original long shank work very well with Remington taper leapipes in bass trombones. Most of the issues with these mouthpieces come from using them on instruments that don't have Remington tapers.
-----

Yup, the original long shank Schilke pieces work just fine in a Remington taper leadpipe.

====
ttf_The Sheriff

Quote from: modelerdc on May 14, 2017, 09:23PMThis is just my opinion, but the Schilke 51 is a perfect match for Remington shank 88H trombones, improving centering and helps line up the partials better. Just copy the Schilke 51 with the original long shank, but offer different rims and you're there! For Bass trombone the Schilke 59 and 60 with the original long shank work very well with Remington taper leapipes in bass trombones. Most of the issues with these mouthpieces come from using them on instruments that don't have Remington tapers.
-----

Yup, the original long shank Schilke pieces work just fine in a Remington taper leadpipe.

====

Return to “Mouthpieces”