ScannerPro Mobile App

What makes the world go 'round these days. Phonograph, laserdisc, and even 8-track! Also home of the TRS-80 forum.

Moderator: Sliphorn

ScannerPro Mobile App

Postby ddickerson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am

I just installed this app on my iPhone a couple of days ago, and wish I had done it a year ago!

At the community band rehearsal where new music was passed out, I just scanned the music with my iPhone, it framed the sheet music perfectly, it automatically transferred the PDFs to my iCloud, leaving me the only chore of loading the PDFs into ForScore app on my iPad. All this done at the rehearsal. I turned the music back in to the librarian.

How easy is that? In the past, I took the music home, scanned it with my printer/scanner, converted it to PDF, then copied it to my iCloud.

There are a lot of other features I'm sure with this app. What say you guys?
Retired
Energy City Concert Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
Dixie, Too! Dixieland Band
River Pointe Praise Band
ddickerson

Re: ScannerPro Mobile App

Postby tbathras » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Yeah, it's a life changer.
Bass Trombone
tbathras

Postby Todd Jonz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Big fan. Also check out PhotoScan for high-res glare-free photograph scans. Between ScannerPro and PhotoScan my desktop scanner has been gathering dust for more than a year.
Your mileage may vary.
Todd Jonz
Site Admin

Postby T-boner Tromboner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am

That's awesome! I still have to photocopy mine the "old-fashioned" way. Never thought I would state that photocopying is "old-fashioned"!

The next step should be for band librarians to send scans of the music out to members ahead of time. But for that to work, they would have to buy new charts already in that type of format, along with the hard copies. I don't mean to wish on them the task of manually scanning all the old stuff in.
You have a good job and a nice house. The police leave you alone. So go play your trombone like it's 1999!
T-boner Tromboner

Postby ddickerson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

I think that where a lot of community bands purchase their music on-line are in PDF format already, so per your suggestion, the librarian could send you an email with the PDF attachments.
Retired
Energy City Concert Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
Dixie, Too! Dixieland Band
River Pointe Praise Band
ddickerson

Postby Matt K » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

There is actually a device that you can mount your phone to and it turns it into a faux scanner in the sense that it ensure that the distribution of light is even, that the pages are straight, etc. etc. I've thought about getting one because when I take pictures with my phone it doesn't turn out nearly as well as when I use my flatbed scanner and it isn't nearly as quick as my feeder scanner. That said, it would be nearly as fast as a feeder with this device because they're made to scan books without destroying them. Turn page, snap. Turn page, snap. Turn page, snap. Etc. etc.
What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Matt K

Postby tbathras » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 pm

I just put my iPad on a music stand set flat, like a table top, and have the camera just over the edge. Of course, I ensured the bolts were tight on the stand so it wouldn't flop over and drop the iPad.

Sometimes I have this setup over a desk, table, or chair. Makes real quick quick work of scanning. The fact the ScannerPro is totally automated - detects the page, squares it, crops it, takes the photo and converts to b/w is just amazing.
Bass Trombone
tbathras

Return to Technology