Opinions on the new Music Modernization Act

All about making money.
aasavickas

Opinions on the new Music Modernization Act

Post by aasavickas »

I'm an attorney and musician. However, I don't practice in this area. I'm curious what the opinions of any folks who work on the business side are of this new law.

According to a Rolling Stone article the law is:

"Intended to update music copyright law for the digital era, H.R. 1551 (formally the “Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act”) accomplishes three key things: making sure songwriters and artists receive royalties on songs recorded before 1972; allocating royalties for music producers; and updating licensing and royalty rules for streaming services to pay rights-holders in a more streamlined fashion, via a new, independent entity. Under the act, many music creators will have a more reliable way of collecting the money that they’re due.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ct-736185/

Disclaimer: I'm not interested in a political discussion about the current president. I just want to hear some opinions on whether this will actually help artists get paid and encourage more music making.
SimmonsTrombone

Re: Opinions on the new Music Modernization Act

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I don’t know much about the act, either, but Hatch is a published songwriter so maybe the act has merit.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I like that *something* got passed. I'd like to see a more comprehensive overview of the law, meant specifically for musicians to read, instead of the simplified news reel blurbs.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 am I like that *something* got passed. I'd like to see a more comprehensive overview of the law, meant specifically for musicians to read, instead of the simplified news reel blurbs.
Yeah, same here. Although I won't be affected by it (except if it bleeds through to future similar laws north of the border), I would love to know more details but all I can find in the news is broad statements about what meant to do, and no details about how it'll actually be done
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

I have a friend who is an entertainment attorney and a bit of a big shot in the music industry. I'll reach out to him and see what he thinks about it.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Return to “Music Business”