All I want for Christmas…

All about making money.
Bach5G

All I want for Christmas…

Post by Bach5G »

Is $80 million.

According to a news story, I just heard on my Alexa, “all I want for Christmas is you” has earned Mariah Carey and her cowriter $80 million since 1994.
officermayo

Re: All I want for Christmas…

Post by officermayo »

IMHO.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Honestly, it's weird to me how much hate that song has gotten in the past few years. It's so much better than most of the garbage on retail holiday playlists that I feel relief whenever it comes on.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

She's the Queen of Christmas, you know. Just ask her.

So what IS the all-time worst seasonal song? Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, maybe?
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Mr412 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 pm She's the Queen of Christmas, you know. Just ask her.

So what IS the all-time worst seasonal song? Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, maybe?

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

Mr412 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 pm She's the Queen of Christmas, you know. Just ask her.

"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I really don't like "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guaraldi and Lee Mendelson (from A Charlie Brown Christmas).
MaevenDeadcloud

Post by MaevenDeadcloud »

Finetales wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:16 pm Honestly, it's weird to me how much hate that song has gotten in the past few years. It's so much better than most of the garbage on retail holiday playlists that I feel relief whenever it comes on.
I think most people who hate the song don't actually hate the song itself that much; they hate how overplayed it is. That's the boat I myself am in. I don't like most Christmas music, but I don't really mind most of the songs except Mariah Carey. The only Christmas song I actually like is God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

LOL! Vintage James Brown. Hey! You haven't arrived as an artist until you have recorded a Christmas song or even a whole album or two.

Actually I like pretty much all of the standard ones. I think they are marvelously melodious in their simplicity and honesty and lend themselves to a jazz interpretation pretty handily; even that ruh-puh-puh-pum song. I have about 30 that I've "jazzed up" and play around the house with backing tracks from BiaB.

I know it's that time of year when I'm in the mall shopping and I hear a very young Michael Jackson singing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".

Now, can anyone point us to the - I think - 1994 Christmas rap album by - I think - Cool & The Gang? I loved that album and lost the cassette tape of it I had. I think one cut was "The Santa Sack".
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

MaevenDeadcloud wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:10 am The only Christmas song I actually like is God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.
Yeah, that one's not too bad.

:horror: :cool:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Mr412 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 pm So what IS the all-time worst seasonal song? Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, maybe?
The comedic lyrical theme is terrible, but it's kind of catchy.

I don't normally go out of my way to seek out actual terrible music, but Funky Funky Christmas by New Kids On Tha Block has gott rank up there for awfulness. It's also one of the laziest pieces of music I've ever heard. Of course, that could be because I never got into New Kids and I don't know what else they've done. :idk:

:frown:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Worst Christmas song has to be Santa Baby for me. Makes my skin crawl every time I hear it, especially if it's not the original Eartha Kitt version.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

I think it's important to distinguish between "Holiday music," which the radio stuff actually is, and true Christmas carols (Silent Night, Noel, etc).
Mr412 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:51 am Actually I like pretty much all of the standard ones. I think they are marvelously melodious in their simplicity and honesty and lend themselves to a jazz interpretation pretty handily; even that ruh-puh-puh-pum song.
That would be Carol of the Drum, aka The Little Drummer Boy. I just played a concert band arrangement of it by Floyd E. Werle (© 2018 so pretty recent), and putting the melody to instruments completely changed it for the better imo.

Personally I can't stand listening to Holiday music after the first time, though I'm not opposed to playing it a bunch (Sleigh Ride and Carol of the Bells come to mind). The only exception for listening might be the Grinch, and even then only occasionally.
Oh, and also "Baby, It's Cold Outside."

Christmas carols, on the other hand, can become really good when arranged for instruments. I'd also sit down and listen to some if I recognized them (or stand up and sing at church on Christmas Eve). One of my favorites is an arrangement of O Holy Night by Tom Kubis for solo trumpet/flugelhorn and big band.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Whew - on some of those YouTube "songs"!

I agree; holiday music vs carols! Good point. There are some "sacred" ones I do not jazz up (much, lol).

In general, they all are pretty much SUPER ear worms for me. I enjoy playing them and yet I'm just as glad to put them away as soon as possible.

And I also find "Santa Baby" to be totally creepy.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

It's not Christmas for me until I've heard "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" on the car radio...

...but I haven't had a car for 10 years now!
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

All of those are worthy nominations... but I give the prize to "Christmas Shoes."
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I heard some lyrics to "Mr. Sandman" changing it to "Mr Santa". I wanted to barf. Mr. Sandman is a nice tune. It did not deserve this abomination.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

"The Twelve Days of Christmas" with humorous new lyrics ranks very low for me.

The Dallas Cowboys used to do a Christmas Album (for "charity purposes", of course). I'm sure every Hank Hill bought one.

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

The people who say they like this stuff and the goth example on YouTube above don't really like it at all. They just think they do.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

DaveAshley wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:27 pm

Oh man! I always look forward to hearing that McCartney song every year because of the funky groove it has when the triplets and duplets are happening at the same time. Other than that, I guess it is rather mindless.

For my family, we have a tradition of bringing out the A&P (grocery store) Christmas Greetings Album that we bought at A&P for about $1 in 1970 or 1971. Johnny Cash's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy" was on that album and we thought is was particularly cringe worthy. I remember laughing about how bad that song was when I was 7 or 8 years old! Christmas isn't complete without playing this song and having a good laugh. Found it on YouTube.....

Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:11 pm For my family, we have a tradition of bringing out the A&P (grocery store) Christmas Greetings Album that we bought at A&P for about $1 in 1970 or 1971. Johnny Cash's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy" was on that album and we thought is was particularly cringe worthy. I remember laughing about how bad that song was when I was 7 or 8 years old! Christmas isn't complete without playing this song and having a good laugh. Found it on YouTube.....
I listened to Johnny Cash for about 50 seconds until I cringed so much that I had to bail out. :horror: I didn't want to lose the Christmas spirit!
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

I have a lot of respect for the body of work of Johnny Cash - for the most part - other than some silliness in the '70's. But that "effort" was DOA from the downbeat, IMO.

There's a lesson for you young performers out there. If you are going to produce a Christmas album in July for a December blockbuster release, then maybe make sure you have another eggnog before the recording session.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:11 pm
Johnny Cash's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy" was on that album and we thought is was particularly cringe worthy. ...
I'll see your Johnny Cash and raise you a KISS White Christmas...

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

What's been driving me nuts lately is musicians who toy with the rhythms of the Christmas songs. These things were written in good time with good chords. Using exotic rhythms makes me dislike tunes I actually like. Especially when the rhythms are completely aleatoric. Aleatoric music was a movement of the early 20th Century, but it wasn't intended for real tunes.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m fond of This Christmas by (I think) Donny Hathaway and Christmas Time is Here by Rosemary Clooney. I also recalled liking Crescent City Christmas Card by the Marsalis crowd.
Last edited by Bach5G on Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Do you hear all those popping sounds? Those are the Christmas Day Parade balloons self-destructing! And you thought this was a sequestered chat group? LOL
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:43 pm I’m fond of This Christmas by (I think) Donny Hathaway
It's great - the descending aug 4th brass interjection never gets old - and also reminds us all of this triumph of professionalism under duress.

Anyway, you're all wrong. This is the worst thing that has ever happened. Genocides, unwelcome diagnoses, and sudden slide damage pale by comparison.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Well, it was magical for me when this song went on the airways for the very first time.

afugate

Post by afugate »

DaveAshley wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:27 pm

Yep! Such musical drivel.
--Andy in OKC
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mr412 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:52 pm ... it was magical for me when this song went on the airways for the very first time.
Well, some person's magic is another person's ... :roll:
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:05 pm
Mr412 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:52 pm ... it was magical for me when this song went on the airways for the very first time.
Well, some person's magic is another person's ... :roll:
I was 7! You were probably 30! LOL
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mr412 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 pm
Posaunus wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:05 pm Well, some person's magic is another person's ... :roll:
I was 7! You were probably 30! LOL
Hmm. That was 1958 - 64 years ago. I'm not quite 94 - yet. But I get your point. I am an old codger, and don't relate well to some of the "Christmas" tunes posted here. I still lean toward some of the old favorites.

A few that I like:
U.S. Air Force Airmen of Note: Cool Yule
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=U.S.+Air+F ... nb_sb_noss

Count Basie Orchestra: A Very Swingin' Basie Christmas
https://smile.amazon.com/Very-Swingin-B ... 231&sr=8-1

and my favorite (since it supports The Hearts of Music Fund, a non-profit to help musicians and their families facing extraordinary health care expenses in situations of illness or death):
Trombones-LA: More Carols from the Bells
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MQXAZUI/ ... 352&sr=8-1

Not to mention that it features some of the best trombonists in Southern California! ;)
You can download the MP3 or obtain the two-CD set from Bill Reichenbach.

Merry Christmas, all!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Something for everyone on this ten best list:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... e_btn_link

Return to “Music Business”