Sweetwater now selling band and orchestra instruments

All about making money.
Bach5G

Sweetwater now selling band and orchestra instruments

Post by Bach5G »

This popped up in my feed this morning: Sweetwater Is Now Proud to Offer Band and Orchestra Instruments!

Sweetwater is one of if not the largest online music gear retailers in the US. (Bigger than Musicians Friend?). Up until now, their business was guitars, basses, keyboards, amps, PAs, etc. And they are very good at it. And now band and orchestra. Something to keep an eye on.
Cotboneman

Re: Sweetwater now selling band and orchestra instruments

Post by Cotboneman »

I have a very bright former student who has been there a few years now working in sales. He was an excellent high school trombonist in my bands and an even better guitar player in my jazz band. I would not be surprised that he had some input in expanding their market.
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 am This popped up in my feed this morning: Sweetwater Is Now Proud to Offer Band and Orchestra Instruments!

Sweetwater is one of if not the largest online music gear retailers in the US. (Bigger than Musicians Friend?). Up until now, their business was guitars, basses, keyboards, amps, PAs, etc. And they are very good at it. And now band and orchestra. Something to keep an eye on.
I think Musician’s Friend is a part of the Guitar Center empire, so even though Sweetwater is big, I doubt they are that big. When I took 4 years off trombone as a result of not being able to play, I took up acoustic guitar, and Sweetwater is considered one of the better retailers. Their customer service is excellent, and the first time I placed an online order, I was surprised to get a call from Ft. Wayne, IN (where they are located) but my newly assigned sales engineer was checking up to make sure I was satisfied with an accessory order. Having said that, when it comes to pricing of instruments, etc., my experience is that you usually can do better elsewhere - if you call them you can generally get some money off the minimum advertised price, but the deal wasn’t as good as you could get elsewhere. They are great for accessories, however and their selection is usually decent. My kid just switched from trumpet to euphonium and I just got a pair of 6.5ALs from them at a decent price - my first band related purchase from them.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I'm a trombonist in Fort Wayne (Where the HQ of Sweetwater is). Sweetwater band and orchestra is where I go for my repairs & modifications (Specifically the brass repair: Deb Lahr). I trust the employees of Sweetwater Band and orchestra (Formally Mynette music). Although the owner of Sweetwater... that's a different story.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
asmith

Post by asmith »

Boneuphtoner wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:08 am
Bach5G wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 am This popped up in my feed this morning: Sweetwater Is Now Proud to Offer Band and Orchestra Instruments!

I think Musician’s Friend is a part of the Guitar Center empire, so even though Sweetwater is big, I doubt they are that big. When I took 4 years off trombone as a result of not being able to play, I took up acoustic guitar, and Sweetwater is considered one of the better retailers. Their customer service is excellent, and the first time I placed an online order, I was surprised to get a call from Ft. Wayne, IN (where they are located) but my newly assigned sales engineer was checking up to make sure I was satisfied with an accessory order. Having said that, when it comes to pricing of instruments, etc., my experience is that you usually can do better elsewhere - if you call them you can generally get some money off the minimum advertised price, but the deal wasn’t as good as you could get elsewhere. They are great for accessories, however and their selection is usually decent. My kid just switched from trumpet to euphonium and I just got a pair of 6.5ALs from them at a decent price - my first band related purchase from them.
Musician's Friend, Woodwind & Brasswind, Music & Arts, and Guitar Center are all one in the same. I worked there for two years managing their military accounts. After the last bankruptcy they consolidated a lot of departments and killed Music123 finally. It was a troublesome time to be honest and I don't have much to say beyond that, at least not that I would be willing to put out on the internet.

Sweetwater seems like they are giving it a great go for certain and I have always had a great experience with them. Although I worry that since the previous owner sold it to a private equity firm the B&O department will not get the opportunity to succeed.
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

asmith wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:57 pm
Sweetwater seems like they are giving it a great go for certain and I have always had a great experience with them. Although I worry that since the previous owner sold it to a private equity firm the B&O department will not get the opportunity to succeed.
The former Sweetwater owner sold the company to a private equity firm? Hadn't heard that. When I called my sales engineer (I've ordered a bunch of guitar strings and other accessories from them) and asked about the B&O department, he told me that Sweetwater took over a local company's inventory and now they are building their own also. If they continue with B&O as they have done with guitars, I'm sure they will give Musician's Friend/Guitar center a run for their money - although I still value the relationships and even better deals I can still get out of great stores like Chuck Levin's and Dillon's.
asmith

Post by asmith »

Yeah, it's not a national headline thing but AIMM and some other retailer associations made a big deal out of it.

https://www.iq-mag.net/2021/07/providen ... 0equipment.
quinntheeskimo

Post by quinntheeskimo »

We'll beat any price Sweetwater OR Musician's Friend has! www.brassandwinds.com
MikeBFIJI

Post by MikeBFIJI »

asmith wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:28 pm Yeah, it's not a national headline thing but AIMM and some other retailer associations made a big deal out of it.

It's a little different situation at Sweetwater. While WWBW was forced to sell due to the bankruptcy, Chuck was not forced to sell. In fact, he still owns a portion of the business.
asmith

Post by asmith »

MikeBFIJI wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:10 pm
asmith wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:28 pm Yeah, it's not a national headline thing but AIMM and some other retailer associations made a big deal out of it.

It's a little different situation at Sweetwater. While WWBW was forced to sell due to the bankruptcy, Chuck was not forced to sell. In fact, he still owns a portion of the business.
That's what I've heard, but that's been the case with private equity firms involvement in other companies that were ran into the ground. I personally like Sweetwater a lot, even though they are a significant competitor, and I want to see them do well. I just have concerns with private equity's involvement.

Return to “Music Business”