Shipping conundrum - help!

All about making money.
TromboneSam

Shipping conundrum - help!

Post by TromboneSam »

I’m in a bit of a pickle in terms of getting my horn from one place to the next. Of course I couldn’t get any of this info until now, and now I have to work on this in short suspense.

To make a long story short, I’m getting deployed to the middle east and want to bring a tenor trombone. I was told the case was too big to bring on our plane over and that I’d have to ship it. I looked up approximate shipping costs for multiple carriers and the cheapest I could find was hovering around $1000. At that point I may as well just buy a new professional horn while I’m there instead of spending $2000 on shipping round trip. If I was only over there for a month or less I wouldn’t bother but I’ll be over there for about a year, so I have to have something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ship a horn that far for slightly cheaper?

Is there a tenor case that’s ridiculously small that I could possibly fit into a duffel bag that’s 32x12x12? (Surrounded and padded by clothes)

Should I spend the year getting really good at alto?

Any suggestions are hugely appreciated!
TriJim

Re: Shipping conundrum - help!

Post by TriJim »

First, check with your carrier - most airlines have extra weight, carry-on, and oversize allowances for military deployments.

Second, consider carry-on - I just returned from Switzerland with an alphorn as carry-on baggage. United (and most airlines) will allow oversize carry-on for musical instruments - just needs to fit into the overhead bin.

Third - consider a pbone or other plastic model - lower loss if damaged and packable within a duffel.

Good luck - stay safe - and send us pictures of you playing in the desert.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

If you have the bell cut to fit in a Bonna tenor screw bell case, that may actually come in under the dimensions you listed. http://mbcases.com.br/en/products/tenor ... able-bell/
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Bet he is not going a commercial flight.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

jthomas105 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 pm Bet he is not going a commercial flight.
And that's OK, too. Usually can coordinate an oversize parcel with milair - call the departure terminal folks ad see what they recommend.

I once 'mailed' a bicycle from Germany to my deployed location in Egypt. They had dimension limits for the boxes so I mailed each wheel and the frame separately to meet the size limits - kept the boxes and mailed it back to my home in Germany at the end of the deployment.

Good luck and let us know what works.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Don't bring your own horn on a military deployment. Use your Chain Of Command to contact the military band and see if they can help. Nothing you bring with you is really "yours" if something bad happens.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

When I travel, I take a compact marching trombone. No slide, but it will keep your chops in shape and you'll learn fingerings. It easily fits into luggage. The alto is also a great idea.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

paulyg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 am If you have the bell cut to fit in a Bonna tenor screw bell case, that may actually come in under the dimensions you listed. http://mbcases.com.br/en/products/tenor ... able-bell/
If I had a horn that wasn’t so sentimental to me I’d consider it. Unfortunately all my horns are totally original with original cases and I hope to keep them that way.
TriJim wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
jthomas105 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 pm Bet he is not going a commercial flight.
And that's OK, too. Usually can coordinate an oversize parcel with milair - call the departure terminal folks ad see what they recommend.

I once 'mailed' a bicycle from Germany to my deployed location in Egypt. They had dimension limits for the boxes so I mailed each wheel and the frame separately to meet the size limits - kept the boxes and mailed it back to my home in Germany at the end of the deployment.

Good luck and let us know what works.
We MIGHT be flying commercial/charter but since I’m a lowly NCO in the National Guard they try to keep me as in-the-dark as possible. It could be possible to ship separately but as far as what we’re bringing on the plain they’re telling us we can only bring duffels, no tough boxes or other cases (don’t ask me why). I have one of the eastman fiberglass cases and am curious if it will fit in either duffel styles (zipper and top-loader). I’m away at marksmanship school right now and don’t have my horn but will either check the fit when I get home or ask my wife to check. Regardless I’ll report back here with my findings.
AndrewMeronek wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm Don't bring your own horn on a military deployment. Use your Chain Of Command to contact the military band and see if they can help. Nothing you bring with you is really "yours" if something bad happens.
I thought about bringing my horn from the band before I transferred units, but they wanted me to turn them in for inventory, and since we’re getting another trombone player while I’m away.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I’ve lived in the Middle East. Buying a horn there will be expensive - very! I’ve flown from UK and New Orleans with a horn. No problems about getting it into the cabin. I agree with whoever said check with the airline, they are more accommodating then you might expect - I was surprised. Of course, I have no insight into whatever your employer stipulates or why.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Will you have an APO address? When I was in Korea ( a long time ago), my mom could mail stuff to me for about the same cost as mailing in CONUS. Maybe get there and then let someone mail your horn to you by USPS. I mailed a horn to Germany recently for about $75.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Are you in a military band? I'm assuming you're not, or they would be providing a horn for you. If it looks as if you will not be able to have one shipped to you, your best option may be to buy an inexpensive student horn in a small case, or buy a gig bag that you can carry on with you. The Conn Directors and Olds Ambassadors from the 50's and early 60s play pretty well, come in really compact cases, and can be had very cheap.
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mamaposaune wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:35 pm ... your best option may be to buy an inexpensive student horn in a small case, or buy a gig bag that you can carry on with you. The Conn Directors and Olds Ambassadors for the 50's and early 60s play pretty well, come in really compact cases, and can be had very cheap.
:good:
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 pm Will you have an APO address? When I was in Korea ( a long time ago), my mom could mail stuff to me for about the same cost as mailing in CONUS. Maybe get there and then let someone mail your horn to you by USPS. I mailed a horn to Germany recently for about $75.
Thanks for the recommendation Mike! I was just able to confirm our APO zip code and I checked out shipping costs.. Turns out shipping a horn in a lamp box (40x12x12) would only cost about $90 insured for up to $2500. I also found out that if I tried real hard, I could stretch one of my Eastman fiberglass cases into one of my duffel bags, but it doesn't leave much room on either end for padding/support. I'm going to need something to bring for the month-long mobilization training that happens state-side, so in my opinion the viable options are:

1. Pack the alto in a duffel for the month, then also into country. Once in country have my wife ship a tenor.

2. Don't bring anything for the first month, then just have my wife ship a tenor once I'm in country.

3. Bring the alto and a tenor in separate duffels, running the risk of end-damage to the tenor with no insurance, other than the airline (I believe we will have a chartered flight).

4. Forget the alto, bring the tenor in a duffel with the risk of end-damage and no insurance, same as above.

5. Still forget the alto. Try to carry-on the tenor if they allow it. I'm not yet sure what my chain-of-command's rules will be as far as carry-ons. I will ask them tomorrow.

Thoughts?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

How much time will you have to practice? Is it worth while taking anything with you if you will not be able to play it?

I'd go for a cheap tenor in the duffel. If it gets mauled, it gets mauled. You won't be playing any gigs for this stint anyway. You are just trying to maintain chops for your return, no?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Think about buying the yamaha 350c it's pitched in c with a reverse bb valve. You could for sure fit that in tghe overhead bins or a duffel bag.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I see two good possibilities.

1. Take an alto and use the time to really get to know it.

2. Take a tenor bell only, and mail the slide. The bell can be packed in a box with bubble wrap sufficient to prevent damage. The slide will be relatively inexpensive to mail.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Sorry for the radio silence! I’ve been state-side at training and am heading out soon. I’ve been playing alto for the last month but in having no tenor around I realized that I’m really missing it. The people who write the rules DID finally tell me definitively that I can only bring what will fit in my duffel, so I’ll be bringing my alto into country, and then my wife will ship a “pre-packed” tenor via USPS->APO, and I’ll ship her the alto. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, consider the issue solved!

Return to “Music Business”