What’s worth more? Parts or whole horns?

All about making money.
Bach5G

What’s worth more? Parts or whole horns?

Post by Bach5G »

Opinions on this? I’m thinking of selling my Shires stuff. Are they more valuable as parts or individual components?
Burgerbob

Re: What’s worth more? Parts or whole horns?

Post by Burgerbob »

Always easier to sell a whole horn (for you). You have the option of being stuck with some unwanted part if you part out, though you can probably sell the parts for more than the whole put together. Totally up to you.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Depends on the horn, depends on the parts
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Have sold a few modular horns before... Always a pain. It is easier to sell an entire horn for the seller. As a buyer, I almost always just want parts. When selling, I then try to go for a little premium on the parts to make things easier for me. I have also listed them all together, show the "discount" that I will give for the lot. Also, when listing if I'm parting out I make sure to list that I need to sell the big bits first; for basses, that was the valve section. I wanted to sell those first as I had sold some really interesting flares, but what I wanted to sell was the horn and needed to move the valves to have the money for what I wanted.

Also, make sure you understand what percentage of a new component you are asking for... nobody is paying 90% of new for your used parts, I don't care how good you kept them.

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bells are the hardest to sell, typically. Valves & slides are the easiest. Tuning slides hold their value the most. Straight neckpipes are probably the easiest "valve" to sell. So depending on what set of parts and how much you want to get out of it it basically boils down to if you are patient enough to wait for someone who wants the whole thing or if you want some cash now and all of the cash "eventually".
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:06 pm Opinions on this? I’m thinking of selling my Shires stuff. Are they more valuable as parts or individual components?
It stands on type of horns you have. It influences on selling! :clever:

Return to “Music Business”