LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Looking for opportunities?
StephenK

LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Post by StephenK » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:28 am

Job for someone?
The London Symphony Orchestra invites applications for the post of Principal Trombone.
https://lso.co.uk/orchestra/jobs.html
boneagain

Re: LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Post by boneagain » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 am

Mr. Bright is a class act. Wrote to him out of the blue in a TTF discussion about a physics demonstration he did with Richard Smith that Smith reprised on Youtube last year. Received a very gracious and helpful answer. By that time, though the TTF discussion had degraded into the usual diatribes against science and I did not want to involve Mr. Bright or Mr. Smith in any of that.

He certainly will be missed.

I wonder if Peter Moore will get the nod, and a new associate principal be hired?
JohnL

Re: LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Post by JohnL » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 am

boneagain wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 am
Mr. Bright is a class act.
Absolutely.

A few years ago, I attended a clinic he gave at a local high school. Most of the crowd was HS and Jr. HS kids. At one point, he asked the question: "What is the secret of good trombone playing" to which one of the youngsters (maybe 14 at the oldest" answered: "Sound more like a euphonium."

Mr. Bright was clearly taken aback for a moment, but just a moment. Rather than directly contradict this bit of foolishness that the kid had clearly been fed by his bad director (yes, I left the "n" out intentionally), Mr. Bright said something along the lines of "Well, let's focus on the second half of that" and proceeded to talk about tone production.

I don't know if I could or would have been quite so gracious.

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”