Good orchestra in southern NH needs trombones!

Looking for opportunities?
Macbone1

Good orchestra in southern NH needs trombones!

Post by Macbone1 »

The Merrimack Valley Philharmonic, Plaistow, NH is currently without a trombone section. This is a very good community orchestra with a solid string section and VERY good winds and brass (except for the missing trombones).
No pay, though the travel stipend ($50) might return once they have recovered from the COVID economy. I have played in the orch from time to time and enjoyed it very much, and my standards are high. Their venue is also top notch.

They are 2 rehearsals in to their May concert schedule already, all without trombones :cry: . If interested, DM me and I can pass your info on to the personnel mgr.
http://www.mvpomusic.org/index.php
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
BGuttman

Re: Good orchestra in southern NH needs trombones!

Post by BGuttman »

Gah! Here I get sick and all the rest of the section splits? Anybody who was unwilling to play with me, go back and take over. All is forgiven. They are a great orchestra and deserve better.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Well said, Bruce. Personnel guy says these issues are due to the fact that the orchestra left culturally rich Andover for the sticks of Plaistow. Let's not let him get away with that remark! I'd play if I could but I have big band on Monday nights.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

We left Andover because we were kicked out of our performance venue (Rogers Center, Merrimack College). Best place we could find was Timberlane Performance Center in Plaistow. It's just north of Haverhill near Route 121. Anybody in the area of Haverhill, Georgetown, Groveland, Amesbury, Cape Ann, etc. will have an easy commute to this location. It's even reasonably close to the I-93 corridor.

For anybody who really wants to build a fiefdom, the Orchestra Board is going to need some new blood since we have a Production Manager who is moving out of state and a Treasurer who has taken ill. Anybody who is interested in Arts Management can get some good experience taking on one of these functions.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

This could be the pitch for a Christopher Guest movie.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

robcat2075 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:07 pm This could be the pitch for a Christopher Guest movie.
They could also use a good cellist, but it may be a long commute from Texas. :wink:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:02 pm
robcat2075 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:07 pm This could be the pitch for a Christopher Guest movie.
They could also use a good cellist, but it may be a long commute from Texas. :wink:
If they need a good one, they don't need me!
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Bruce, the "home insecurity" of community music groups around here is quite common as you probably know. I think that kicking any group that enriches the local culture of the community out of a venue for whatever reason (except for renovation or demolition!) is unconscionable. Many a big church sits dark and empty all week, all around the bi-state area, but they usually do not have the wide flat spaces an orchestra needs for setup.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:52 pm Here I get sick and all the rest of the section splits? r.
I didn't know you were sick Bruce. I hope you are getting better!

Macbone1 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 pm I think that kicking any group that enriches the local culture of the community out of a venue for whatever reason (except for renovation or demolition!) is unconscionable.
I was in a band that evaporated, not because we lost our free rehearsal space but because someone in the leadership thought we should move to the other side of Dallas for a slightly better one.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

robcat2075 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:27 pm
BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:52 pm Here I get sick and all the rest of the section splits? r.
I didn't know you were sick Bruce. I hope you are getting better!

Not going to get better. I've been consigned to a Nursing Home because I fall down too much (and can't easily get back up). Really bites when it all falls apart. :frown:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I am sorry to hear that Bruce! That is disappointing!
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Bruce - sorry to hear about that. I don't know you personally, but I have been reading your posts here and on the old forum for over 20 years, so I feel like at least a distant friend. I wish you the best.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Bruce - sorry to hear about that. I don't know you personally, but I have been reading your posts here and on the old forum for over 20 years, so I feel like at least a distant friend. I wish you the best.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:01 am Bruce - sorry to hear about that. I don't know you personally, but I have been reading your posts here and on the old forum for over 20 years, so I feel like at least a distant friend. I wish you the best.
The same goes for me! All my best wishes are for you!

Wolfgang
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Bump. May concert coming.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:44 pm Not going to get better. I've been consigned to a Nursing Home because I fall down too much (and can't easily get back up). Really bites when it all falls apart. :frown:
I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament!

I hope you still play some, and I wish you all the best in what ever situation there is, can be and may be!
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

As much as I would love to do a good orchestra, it's a little too far from my Berkshires home base. Good luck finding staff!

@Bruce:
I hope you are comfortable and able to pursue what you want to do. Like others have said, I have been reading your posts for a very long time, and always appreciate the depth of knowledge you have.

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”