Post by Posaunus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:29 am

Vegasbound

Re: Ian Bousfield Tenor Trombone Competition

Post by Vegasbound » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:09 am

There is a thread already running about this
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:03 am

These competitions are always for people who are too young. The ones who are interesting to listen to at that age are born for it, and unbeatable at any age, I reckon.

In other words, the age restrictions are dumb.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:58 pm

I appreciate the restriction of "not being engaged by a current orchestra". A lot of the ITF and big competition playing field right now is dominated by young players with jobs already. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, just creates a different playing field.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 pm

Not that they asked me, but I think it would be excellent if ITF, ATW, etc. had a competition category for amateurs. These things seem to assume that everyone is either a student or a professional, but there are a lot more amateurs than pros. It wouldn't have to be something that offered a big prize, but the chance to play and compete would be a lot of fun.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Even the chess federation does that ^

What grinds my gears is that these competitions assume that "ancient" musicians over the age of 25 have all gotten a chance to do a concerto competition or compete in an event like this. That can't be farther from the case. The difference between a lot of advanced students and pros is literally just a number. But you hardly see any "open" competitions.

Who wouldn't want to get their butt kicked by Peter Steiner in an open competition?
Jimtrombone

Post by Jimtrombone » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Mikebmiller wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 pm
Not that they asked me, but I think it would be excellent if ITF, ATW, etc. had a competition category for amateurs. These things seem to assume that everyone is either a student or a professional, but there are a lot more amateurs than pros. It wouldn't have to be something that offered a big prize, but the chance to play and compete would be a lot of fun.
I that that is a great idea. A few friends and I have been part of a trombone quartet since the early 2000’s! We are community folks who all have studied music in the past, but have day jobs or are retired. It would be amazing if the door was open for folks like us to submit a video for the opportunity to perform a piece- although I think we’d qualify for the 55+ seniors category now;)
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm

harrisonreed wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Even the chess federation does that ^

What grinds my gears is that these competitions assume that "ancient" musicians over the age of 25 have all gotten a chance to do a concerto competition or compete in an event like this. That can't be farther from the case. The difference between a lot of advanced students and pros is literally just a number. But you hardly see any "open" competitions.

Who wouldn't want to get their butt kicked by Peter Steiner in an open competition?

I think ATW is open to any age in division 3

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”