Get-A-Grip, Sheridan Brass Order

ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

has anybody ordered a Get-a-grip from SheridanBrass lately ?

I placed an order just now and I'm wondering how many days it will take to get to me.

I'm only concerned because I wrote an email with a question about a week ago and haven't heard back.

The question was something like: is the product universal, because I don't want to order it for my greenhoe/bach and it won't be compatible ?

an answer to my questions would be great, to ease my mind
ttf_sfboner

Post by ttf_sfboner »

One of my colleagues made one himself out of some kind of modeling material.  I could find out just what he used if you're interested.  As far as I know, the fit is universal and you should have no problems with your Bach.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: sfboner on Mar 21, 2017, 03:57PMOne of my colleagues made one himself out of some kind of modeling material.  I could find out just what he used if you're interested.  As far as I know, the fit is universal and you should have no problems with your Bach.

great to know....I hope I get it soon.

I've had a few Greenhoe handle/brace deals not work out  Image
poor communication  Image
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

If you have a Bach slide, it should be totally fine on the Greenhoe. The base model really only doesn't fit on Rath due to a different connector.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I tried to buy one not so long ago, but was quoted nearly as much as the cost of the grip to ship it to Canada.  I asked if there was a less expensive option and he told me (in a kind of nasty way) if I could come up with one, he'd use it.  So I did some research and came up with a $9.50 option which included tracking and enough insurance to cover the grip.  He never got back to me even though I tried 3 times. Image

It's a cool idea and I'd like one, but am not willing to pay 5 times more for shipping than an American does when it actually only costs $4 more, not $32 more, to send it to Canada.  There is just something not right about that.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I recQuote from: BillO on Mar 21, 2017, 06:01PMI tried to buy one not so long ago, but was quoted nearly as much as the cost of the grip to ship it to Canada.  I asked if there was a less expensive option and he told me (in a kind of nasty way) if I could come up with one, he'd use it.  So I did some research and came up with a $9.50 option which included tracking and enough insurance to cover the grip.  He never got back to me even though I tried 3 times. Image

It's a cool idea and I'd like one, but am not willing to pay 5 times more for shipping than an American does when it actually only costs $4 more, not $32 more, to send it to Canada.  There is just something not right about that.

I recently bought a case here on the forum for $100 but had to have the money refunded because it was going to cost $120 to ship from Canada. probably weighed no more than 5 or 6 lbs. bleh
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: jalapeno on Mar 21, 2017, 06:23PMI rec
I recently bought a case here on the forum for $100 but had to have the money refunded because it was going to cost $120 to ship from Canada. probably weighed no more than 5 or 6 lbs. bleh
Yeah, shipping from Canada to anywhere is stupid.  No argument here.  As a sideline I design and build electronics development tools, and a long time ago I learned to design them in such a way that they can 'fit' into less expensive shipping options from Canada Post.

It's not worth it for me (or anyone else up here in the great white north) to list a lower cost trombone on TTF since the shipping from Canada will likely double the price.  The only thing I can do is list a high end horn and eat the shipping, because no one would believe the actual cost.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I have never had a Get-a-Grip, but I do know Newell.
He is often away for a few days at a time (me too) and even when he's home his internet doesn't always work.  I'm sure he'll get to it when he sees the order.  If you really want to know, I guess you can call him.
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

It took a while for the order to get to me, too. I just needed to 'get a grip' and relax. In the era of instant gratification with Amazon Prime, we get used to getting stuff in just a couple of days.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

This^

ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Newell is a "one man" operation who is on the road a LOT. He is 70+ yrs old with all that goes with that. He can seem "grumpy" at times, but that's his way sometimes. He's actually a nice guy once you get past the sometimes "crunchy" outside and will usually go out of his way to help you out. (speaking as someone who's known him for 35yrs)
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Exactly! I like Newell a lot but he has rubbed a lot of guys the wrong way. Also he is a one man operation so he has a hard time keeping up with online orders. And add the annoyance of mailing international...
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

He could be the nicest guy in the world BUT if you're going to take the time to sell products worldwide then do it. If not then don't. No one is twisting his arm.
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I just know that I won't be doing business with Sheridan Brass anytime in the near future. Call me old fashioned, but I expect a certain level of professionalism when a significant amount of cash (mine) is changing hands..
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Well I am not speaking for Mr. Sheridan. Just what I think may be going on with him.
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: TNTBONE on Mar 27, 2017, 06:20AMI just know that I won't be doing business with Sheridan Brass anytime in the near future. Call me old fashioned, but I expect a certain level of professionalism when a significant amount of cash (mine) is changing hands..

My old post:
I purchased A get a grip after reading much of the positive feedback from this thread....I received it, but it didn't fit on my insturment...I returnted it 1-12-2015 and pretty much forgot about it. I e mailed sheridan brass and inquired if they had recieved my package? The respnse was "No I haven't seen it"...I informed them that I checked the tracking number and it says it was delivered on 1-14-2015...I heard nothing in response...The next day I see a refund in my pay pal for $40 and a $10 restocking fee....I questioned the re stocking fee, since it isnt mentioned on the web site, and pointed out the posting of his ten commandments of customer service, that I wasn't feeling the love....His response was "I guess you told me" then he claimed the item ( which he"never received") was damaged, that's why there was a $10 charge... so now the restocking fee is a damage fee? The item I returned had no damage...Good Luck if you do business here, I know I won't be a return cutomer.....

Today:
 I don't enjoy kissing someone's hinny when I'm paying them hard earned money for a product or a service.... Call me old fashion too...

Just my story,
Nanook
ttf_SethMatrix

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

I have had great experiences with Mr. Sheridan. Both a few years ago when I ordered my Sheridan get a grip and received it quickly, and just this past year at the Southeast trombone Symposium when Mr. Sheridan was there with a bunch of Shires instruments. He was very nice and was helping people left and right.

I think when it comes to these situations where the customer service is not as good as a huge chain business we often deal with today we tend to be impatient. Today with amazon prime and everything you can get most things in like 1 or 2 days! But we have to remember these are usually one man operations.
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Seth,

I'm happy that some have had positive experiences, but to me there is no excuse for the way I was treated....And it seems to me others are experiencing the same customer service that I was exposed to...

Nanook
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

I'm fortunate to live within driving distance to Mr. Sheridan, so I've never dealt with him online. He is a nice and accommodating man in person, but I do agree that all customers, online or otherwise, should be treated with equal respect.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

If anyone has a phone number for Mr. Sheridan, I would appreciate it if you shared it with me.

I still haven't heard from him, despite friending on Facebook and getting accepted, and writing him a message there.

Thanks

Maybe he'll be at ITF but that's a ways off....
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I have been able to reach him on one of the numbers below as well as his email address. He is in no hurry though to respond..

Phone: 205-978-3773 or Cell: 205-541-3258

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

This current generation of whiners is really beginning to bug me. In the previous century, I had to wait 4-6 weeks for a pair of Schilke mouthpieces. I had to write a check and in blind faith, wait for them. This last year, I ordered some stuff from Hickey's and it took forever. They never charged my card until it was in stock, and then comped my shipping when it was going to be awhile. And about 2 weeks ago, I bought Neotech hand grip from an eBay shop, brookmays. I paid for economy shipping, should've gotten it weeks later. It arrived in under FOUR business days. Damn it, I need some ice cream.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Those of us who are one man operations like Newell and myself have our own lives, gigs, health issues, etc that take significant time away from the available business time.  Right now I'm opening mail from February and I'm probably 100 or more emails behind.  I would bet Newell is in a similar situation.
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

You should probably know a little about the context prior to labeling anyone as a whiner. I too survived the last generation and I have seen good customer service and bad. I waited 3 plus months for a slide I ordered with no communication from Newell. I finally cancelled the order at the 3 1/2 month point and asked to cancel the order. He did respond eventually to the cancellation. It took 4 weeks to get a refund and then he withheld $100 due to bank fees. $1380 (which was charged when I first ordered the slide) is a lot of money to tie up for that long, especially when the final result is being out $100 and still no slide.. I didn't complain after 4-6 weeks either..
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I'll be a whiner all day. I didn't grow up in ye olde times

2.5 weeks is a long time to not even hear peep. like I said, I wrote a message on FB. he's "liked/shared" things.....

first of all

second of all

my hand could REALLY use the relief from holding my horn. my hand felt a little tingley today after playing a few hours.
and not a little tingley like "oh, that's cute;" it didn't feel good

third of all

I didn't KNOW this would be the situation

I called and left a message, anyhow
ttf_HouBassTrombone

As a general rule... most people don't use Facebook for business. That is your personal time.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Apr 07, 2017, 03:08PMAs a general rule... most people don't use Facebook for business. That is your personal time.

I understand.....

I didn't have a phone number at that time
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

I've known my fair share of cranky "Good Guys" and I've listened to people complain about them...I never resorted to name calling when they vented their frustration, I understood the situation from their perspective...In my experience with the man, I wasn't complaining about the long intervals between communication, or shipping times,( we're talking months here) my issue was he lied to me, stating he never received my return.. I told him the package tracing showed it had been delivered. Then he with held a stocking fee, which was never mentioned anywhere in the transaction... Truth be told if I knew I was going to be charge $10 stocking fee, I would have kept the grip for the $30 and avoided the entire situation...You guys can continue to stick up for the guy I get that, but don't ignore the fact that he is treating others who are spending their hard earned cash, with disrespect...

Nanook
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

I've known my fair share of cranky "Good Guys" and I've listened to people complain about them...I never resorted to name calling when they vented their frustration, I understood the situation from their perspective...In my experience with the man, I wasn't complaining about the long intervals between communication, or shipping times,( we're talking months here) my issue was he lied to me, stating he never received my return.. I told him the package tracing showed it had been delivered. Then he with held a stocking fee, which was never mentioned anywhere in the transaction... Truth be told if I knew I was going to be charge $10 stocking fee, I would have kept the grip for the $30 and avoided the entire situation...You guys can continue to stick up for the guy I get that, but don't ignore the fact that he is treating others who are spending their hard earned cash, with disrespect...

Nanook

Return to “Accessories”