Left hand ergonomics

ttf_Ellrod

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've never really had many issues with my left hand until recently when I strained my left hand and wrist.

Tonight I tried a training glove on my keft hand . Helped a bit I thought. It's a little less bulky than most trading gloves I've seen in the past. Sort of a second layer of skin and quite grippy.

Has anyone else tried a training or golf glove or something like that on the left hand?

ttf_BGuttman

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Yup.  Also used a bowler's wrist brace.  My solution?  A trombone where the bell brace crosses my thumb.  Or you could use an Ax Handle or Bullet Brace.
ttf_anonymous

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I used to have a Bullet Brace installed and it worked pretty well with my 36BO and 42A.

But the revolution came from the Sheridan Get-a-grip! After a few adjustments, I never ever played my heavy 42A without!
So comfy and the better way to balance my horn properly according to me.
ttf_Ellrod

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Update:

The left wrist continues to be an issue. There are 3 distinct areas that are affected: scaphoid area, the ulnar lunate/triquetrum area, and the metacarpus. The scaphoid area seems to be pretty good, but the ulnar side is still troublesome. Holding my horn for any length of time results in hours of discomfort requiring ice and anti-inflammatories. I don't have much going on until mid-January, so I am taking a break until after New Years.  I'm going to physio, and am doing my exercises, and the wrist seems to be improving. Much slower than expected though. Bracing hasn't helped past the initial acute pain stage.

I think my physio is pretty sharp. He is in his late 60s and been in practice for a long time. So far in 2016, I've been in to see him for my right foot, my shoulder and my wrist. The other day I was walking into the building from the parking lot, thinking about how, for the first time this year, everything seemed to be ok. And then my left calf started to cramp up. Jeez.

ttf_2olbones

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_2olbones »

I have been using a sailing glove (truncated fingers) for years.
ttf_anonymous

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Have you tried athletic training tape? Most PT and chiropractic offices offer them.
You would probably need to take your axe in with you to demonstrate just how the muscles are in need of support/strengthening. The tape will assist.
ttf_baileyman

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_baileyman »

It may be you need to get the load off the joint.  This is weird, but you could tray a skateboarding wrist pad.  They have nylon protectors sewn in that may transfer the load past the wrist to the arm.  Most thrift stores have these somewhere. 

ttf_timothy42b

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

You might want to communicate privately with Naj.  He has a personal design for a support device that has some promise. 
ttf_timothy42b

Left hand ergonomics

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

You might want to communicate privately with Naj.  He has a personal design for a support device that has some promise. 

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”