Dorothy Ziegler - help requested

yeodoug

Dorothy Ziegler - help requested

Post by yeodoug »

Hello friends,

Some of you may know of Dorothy Ziegler (1922-1972). She was a student of Emory Remington at Eastman School of Music (graduating in 1943 with a BM in performance as well as performer's certificates in trombone AND piano), she was a member of Leopold Stokowski's 1940 All American Youth Orchestra (along with Edward Kleinhammer and Thomas Cramer), was a member of the National Symphony Orchestra in 1943, and then was hired as principal trombone of the St. Louis Symphony in 1944; she remained with the St. Louis Symphony until 1963 after which she was director of Indiana University Opera Theater, and then went to Univ of Miami where she was director of the university's opera theater and also taught trombone until her death. She was an extraordinary woman in many respects.

The ITA awarded its 2022 Legacy Circle Award to Dorothy Ziegler and I'm writing an article about her for the ITA Journal.

I have two questions that I'm hoping might ring a bell with a Forum member:

1. Does anyone have photographs of Dorothy Ziegler? This has proven to be a challenging ask. I have a photo of her with the 1940 All American Youth Orchestra (this photo was given to me by Edward Kleinhammer's widow) but neither I nor Larry Zalkind (trombone professor at Eastman) is aware of any other known photos of Dorothy Ziegler apart from those that accompanied newspaper articles about her. The same for the St. Louis Symphony and Univ of Miami archives. I have many of the newspaper photos of her, and I've worked to enhance those scans, but if anyone has a high quality photo of Dorothy Ziegler, I would love to know about it and see it.

2. Do any Forum members live near Muscatine, Iowa? If you do, you know where that is (eastern Iowa, on the Mississippi). Dorothy Ziegler grew up and is buried there, and I'd be interested to see a photograph of her final resting place in Greenwood Cemetery in Muscatine. I know the area and plot number but it's not possible for me to get there anytime soon. If anyone lives in the area, I'd like to be in contact with you if you're willing to go to the cemetery and take a photograph.

These are probably needles in a haystack but I've found needles before and I've never ceased to be amazed - and grateful - at how many people know so many things if only someone asked them.

With thanks,

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)
Trombone Professor, Wheaton College, Illinois
Clinical Associate Professor of Trombone, University of Illinois (2022-2023)
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
yeodoug

Re: Dorothy Ziegler - help requested

Post by yeodoug »

Well, someone has already contacted me and volunteered to take a photo of Dorothy Ziegler's grave. Thank you very much.

Photos, anyone?

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)
Trombone Professor, Wheaton College, Illinois
Clinical Associate Professor of Trombone, University of Illinois (2022-2023)
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com

Return to “History of the Trombone”