When did they start putting G (Gold) markings on Bach Bells

BrianJohnston

When did they start putting G (Gold) markings on Bach Bells

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi,

I know that Bach's are labeled with G to indicate a gold bell, but i'm wondering when they started doing so. I believe i've seen some Mt Vernons, and early corps in gold that are just marked 42.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Matt K
Verified

Re: When did they start putting G (Gold) markings on Bach Bells

Post by Matt K »

Could be a combination of the lacquer being slightly gold tinted and… I want to say there were some bells between yellow and gold brass but don’t quite me on that.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't marked, but don't quote me on it.

The lacquer for some corps horns I've seen is VERY gold-colored (not like Kings, but like Bach gold brass).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have two 42 bells with a “G” engraved near where the 42 is engraved. One is an oversized 9-inch gold brass bell on a straight horn. And the other is a standard diameter gold brass bell mounted on a Hagmann valve. Is that what we’re talking about or is there another marking?
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah, the idea is that Bach may not have labeled them as “G” until a certain date. They definitely started at some point but exactly when is the question.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Interesting question. Looking at my stash of photos...Most are marked. I'm not sure if I've seen a NY or NY67 horn with the "G" stamp, but most every horn that I have a picture of from the Mt.V era that looks obvious has the stamp. Not surprisingly, most the pictures I have are of yellow bells.

There is also the complication that there are plenty of red bells as well. (at least 46/46/50 bells...for example these consecutive cards to point out that Red and Gold are intentional differences), I've never seen an "R" or anything to note on the bell, but not sure if I have any pics of the stamps of those bells; those old red 50Bs used to show up a lot, but I haven't seen one in a while.
4483.jpg
4484.jpg
4485.jpg
But there are always exceptions; like this 6xxx 50 that looks awfully gold to me, but I don't have a shop card to verify:
50B Drop In valve 2.jpg
50B Drop In valve 4.jpg
(none of these are my horns, I just save a lot of pics).

Cheers,
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

Hi All,

G stampings are inconsistent at best. I have seen numerous unmarked G bells, mostly from the 70s, but in the old hand stamped days anything went. I think the modern routered engraving are more consistent.

Bach was very inconsistent about the extra markings. Before 1970 or so bells were also sometimes stamped B sometimes not. The weirdest was a SO 50B that a buddy has from the early 90s. It is something like 50BLOGH. All those letters after 50B are hand stamped, and the G after the model numbers would have been hand stamped. That 50BLOGH had a bunch of crooked letters

Benn
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What is that hand written word on the “tightness”? It looks like… extra tight… exceptionally tight… or something?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Matt K wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:40 am What is that hand written word on the “tightness”? It looks like… extra tight… exceptionally tight… or something?
I think it is usually Exceptionally Tight.

Tight, Very Tight, and Exceptionally Tight are the versions I have seen.

Cheers,
Andy
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Is that referring to how tight a seal the slide gets or something?

Return to “History of the Trombone”