19C French mouthpiece?

silverslideman

19C French mouthpiece?

Post by silverslideman »

Does anybody know of a source of 19th-century-style French trombone mouthpieces with a deep funnel-shaped cup? I’ve found one online, but it’s too small for me. I’d like an alternative, but I can’t find any others.
LeTromboniste

Re: 19C French mouthpiece?

Post by LeTromboniste »

silverslideman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am Does anybody know of a source of 19th-century-style French trombone mouthpieces with a deep funnel-shaped cup? I’ve found one online, but it’s too small for me. I’d like an alternative, but I can’t find any others.
The common conception that they have a "deep" funnel cup is misleading. The cup is deep in relation to the width, but those mouthpieces are absolutely tiny, so by any modern standard they aren't deep at all.

Here's a picture I took for comparison

From left to right:
-Late 19th c. French tenor with completely funnel shaped cup
-Late 19th/early 20th c. Courtois, possibly bass trombone, or baritone saxhorn, with a hybrid cup
-11C-sized
-5G-sized
-1.5G-sized

(the three modern mouthpieces are Fergusons)

The Courtois saxhorn or bass mouthpiece is what I use with my romantic French trombone, it works perfectly with it. But the cup width IIRC is 24.2mm (0.953"). The tenor one I can't remember the exact measurement but it was around 21mm (~0.830").
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
silverslideman

Post by silverslideman »

Thanks. Yes, I meant deep in relation to its cup diameter. The one I have is barely 20mm in dia.
Thanks for mentioning saxhorns, as that gives me a new search term. I’ve just found another mpiece for sale, and an article that says van der Heide has made a modern copy of one, so we’ll see…
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Yes! Geert Jan van der Heide as some copies of random mouthpieces. I tried one of his supposedly for ophicleide that didnt work so well for me but I think would probably have worked much better on a French trombone.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen

Return to “History of the Trombone”