Conn 73H Bass Trombone

CamiloJimenezVera

Conn 73H Bass Trombone

Post by CamiloJimenezVera »

Hello to all, I have a vintage bass 73H with the second valve in E. What do you think of this instrument?
BGuttman

Re: Conn 73H Bass Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

The 73H was a dual valve based on the 70H family. While a bass trombone in Bb/F/Flat E can be useful, it is more common to add an extension to make the second valve in either Eb or D.

The 73H was never as popular as the 62H. If you are looking to sell this for a retirement account, look elsewhere. The asking price for this won't be astronomical.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Absolutely brilliant trombones. I pulled my 2nd valve out to make it nearly Eb! Better in some ways than the Bach 50 I replaced it with, notable reason Bach better, independant valves 2nd to Gb.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Does the 73H slide have springs or corks in it?... Doug
BrianAn

Post by BrianAn »

DougHulme wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:55 am Does the 73H slide have springs or corks in it?... Doug
The one I played had springs.
An pronounced "On"
Trombonist in Ottawa and Waterloo
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/briananmusic/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brian.an.0/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@BrianAnMusic
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Well, the factory gave them springs. But a lot of folks don't like springs and replace them with cork or felt.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
CamiloJimenezVera

BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:25 pm The 73H was a dual valve based on the 70H family. While a bass trombone in Bb/F/Flat E can be useful, it is more common to add an extension to make the second valve in either Eb or D.

The 73H was never as popular as the 62H. If you are looking to sell this for a retirement account, look elsewhere. The asking price for this won't be astronomical.
Thank you very much. Not is my interest to sell this horn.
CamiloJimenezVera

Pezza wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am Absolutely brilliant trombones. I pulled my 2nd valve out to make it nearly Eb! Better in some ways than the Bach 50 I replaced it with, notable reason Bach better, independant valves 2nd to Gb.
Thank you so much… I fell B low more confortable and in tune with 2d valve in E. I will try to split the triggers.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

CamiloJimenezVera wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:21 pm
Pezza wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am Absolutely brilliant trombones. I pulled my 2nd valve out to make it nearly Eb! Better in some ways than the Bach 50 I replaced it with, notable reason Bach better, independant valves 2nd to Gb.
Thank you so much… I fell B low more confortable and in tune with 2d valve in E. I will try to split the triggers.
And if you search eBay, you will see that Taylor Music in SD has *new* D slides for that horn! For $75!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BoneRob

Post by BoneRob »

I recently bought one of those D slides on eBay. They are absolutely "new" as advertised, as in "new old stock". Haven't had the chance to start incorporating it yet but after 48 years of playing with an E as my second trigger, I'm looking forward to not having to reach so far out for the low C. I have never played a split valve bass bone but find the triggers on the 73H to be pretty easy to slide your thumb over to press the second one.

Rob
King 2B (1965-70)
King 3B/F (1975-80)
Conn 73H (1973)
CamiloJimenezVera

What a interestings supports. Thank you so much to all…

Return to “History of the Trombone”