Star Trek Lt Thomas Riker with metal trombone

ttf_mmclemore

Post by ttf_mmclemore »

here is the thing....the fact that I know that Thomas is his middle name makes me a dork!  Oh,well...
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

"The petaQ will be silent!!!"

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: mmclemore on Jan 15, 2018, 08:59AMhere is the thing....the fact that I know that Thomas is his middle name makes me a dork!  Oh,well...
There was an episode in which we find out he was duplicated in a transporter foul-up.  His doppelganger adopts the name middle name - Thomas - since Will never really liked it.  I guess this is a model of that Riker who received his trombone from Will as a parting gift.

Now who's the dork?
ttf_mmclemore

Post by ttf_mmclemore »

I now bow to the master of dorkiness...well done!
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Looks like it comes with an extra set of hands. For when the transporter leaves yours on a distant planet.

ttf_Baron von Bone

Post by ttf_Baron von Bone »

Quote from: BillO on Jan 15, 2018, 10:10AMThere was an episode in which we find out he was duplicated in a transporter foul-up.  His doppelganger adopts the name middle name - Thomas - since Will never really liked it.  I guess this is a model of that Riker who received his trombone from Will as a parting gift.
Not really a doppelganger though ... it was him.

The transporter got a signal through, so Will Riker materialized on board his ship, but some kind of storm or something also deflected the signal back and that signal failed to get Tom Riker (Will at the time) to his ship and left him at the point of attempted transport.

So who's the doppelganger and who's the original?

Both Tom and Will Riker would have equal claims on being the real one if it became necessary to designate one real and one a copy/doppelganger. Neither were inclined to go there though, and neither was anyone else--they live in an advanced society after all.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

See, that's why TOS is superior. If they had doppelgangers in TOS, they gave them cheesy facial hair.

Riker already had cheesy facial hair.

And as T'Pau said: "De hair iss de hair... What can be done?"
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

It appears we're awash with dorks here.

In TOS (episode Mirror, mirror) we are exposed to an alternate universe that has analogues of all the Enterprise crew, but the only duplicate with cheesy facial hair is Spock, whose character did not actually change much from one universe to the other.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Baron von Bone on Jan 15, 2018, 04:12PMBoth Tom and Will Riker would have equal claims on being the real one if it became necessary to designate one real and one a copy/doppelganger. Neither were inclined to go there though, and neither was anyone else--they live in an advanced society after all.
Agreed, however the trial of several years of complete isolation on the part of Tom vs. social interaction in active service for Will would certainly make them different personalities.

I think I actually preferred Tom.  Less full of himself and more willing to take risks - that is until he went astray and assumed Will's identity in DS9 and for a time sided with the Maquis.  He kind of backed off a bit sheepishly in the end of that episode.
ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

This thread, right here, has called out the cool kids on TTF.

When River played The Nearness of You to Minuet on the holodeck, I knew right then I was going to play trombone...
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: BillO on Jan 16, 2018, 05:31AMI think I actually preferred Tom.  Less full of himself and more willing to take risks - that is until he went astray and assumed Will's identity in DS9 and for a time sided with the Maquis.  He kind of backed off a bit sheepishly in the end of that episode.

I don't consider DS9 as canon.
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

Only for hours left to go and the high bid is only $9 below the reserve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152866291684?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

If one of you guys wins this, we’re going to need pictures.
ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

If one of you guys wins this, we’re going to need pictures.

Return to “Found on the Net”