Over and over on Ebay

ttf_mark fellows

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_mark fellows »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Conn-62HG-Greenhoe-Bass-Trombone-/292273550305?hash=item440cdc73e1:g:o1YAAOSwrP9ZzWJd

I have been watching this item and five other trombones listed on Ebay over and over by an illegitimate person who has hijacked a reputable sellers account and listed these items (as well as others) to try to trick someone unsuspecting into sending them money. Ebay deletes the ads and wahes its hands. Today I actually called Ebay to report it in person and certainly did not get any feeling that they would do anything more than they have been doing. I would love for forum members to deluge Ebay with reports on this and see if they might take it more seriously

A call to arms!!!
Ebay phone number 866 540 3229 as for fraud
ttf_Matt K

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yeah! But its hard to refute:

QuoteGary Greenhoe only provides around 24 of the a year to Conn and the wait is usually 8 to 10 months for an order.

ttf_BGuttman

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This thing is an outright violation of Ebay's policy.  If he wants to do a "Buy it Now" you have to put a price on it and they will convert to other currencies.  You are not supposed to use an Ebay ad to solicit a sale outside of Ebay.

They should cancel his account and ban him.
ttf_mark fellows

Over and over on Ebay

The point is that the "seller" is not the one doing the posting. The person posting has hacked the "sellers" account and is using that Ebay name to post. He then tries to ensnare the unsuspecting. I doubt Ebay has any idea who is doing the posting and does not seem to much care beyond removing the listings time after time
ttf_greenbean

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Yes - definitely a scam.  The horn does NOT exist...

ttf_Malec Heermans

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

I have an alert set for 'Greenhoe Trombones' so I get these all the time. Super annoying.

Perhaps if we could divine the real account holder's identity we could alert them that their account has been hacked?
ttf_slide advantage

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Early on in my Ebay history someone hijacked my account too. I had several items listed for sale. When I woke the next morning and checked to see how bids were coming along I noticed all my items were no longer listed. And there were several gift certificates for sale instead.

I contacted Ebay to let them know what happened. Then I sent personal messages to everyone who'd bid on the gift certificates to warn them that they were dealing with a crook. And I sent the crook a message telling I was onto his game.

And get this...the crook complained to Ebay that I was harassing him. And Ebay sent me a warning!

Needless to say I was flabbergasted.

To make the matter even more absurd, the crook replied to my message, saying "Chill out dude; I'm only borrowing your acct for a little while!"  Image

By the time I recovered my acct, I had opened a new one.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

eBay is way too expensive to deal with, especially if you're a seller. They don't care about making a functional marketplace.

How is it still in business?
ttf_chromebone

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_chromebone »

I just reported this to eBay. Basically, it's different hackers appropriating accounts at different times with the same scam. Ebay is playing wack a mole with these guys. If you report it, they take it down usually within an hour and cancel the account. Keep in mind, there are millions of items on eBay at at given moment, so unless it's reported to them, it's hard for eBay to know about it.
ttf_Euphanasia

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

That one's right up there with the King Silvertone that pops up a couple of times a week with a $15.00 bid, and a note that says "don't bid--contact me privately at this email and I'll accept payment of $1200."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Silver-Tone-Trombone-Amazing-/311969838855?hash=item48a2d9f707:g:VqcAAOSwaMhZzV06
ttf_MikeBMiller

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Sep 29, 2017, 08:03AMThat one's right up there with the King Silvertone that pops up a couple of times a week with a $15.00 bid, and a note that says "don't bid--contact me privately at this email and I'll accept payment of $1200."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Silver-Tone-Trombone-Amazing-/311969838855?hash=item48a2d9f707:g:VqcAAOSwaMhZzV06

I love this statement:

"This model is built for use in band or orchestra and is the best trombone ever offered to musicians, for general all-around work."
ttf_JohnL

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Oct 04, 2017, 11:01AMI love this statement:

"This model is built for use in band or orchestra and is the best trombone ever offered to musicians, for general all-around work."That's straight from the original King catalog copy. Quite enthusiastic, weren't they?

I think eBay has 'bots that search for certain words and phrases that are common in scam listings, but the serious scammers long ago went to images of text, which are much harder for the 'bots to catch. They have to rely on human eyes to find the scumbags.
ttf_watermailonman

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Oh  Image This was interesting information. I did not think a criminal would specialize on trombones. Cameras and mobile phones Yes, but trombones  Image. It seems the ads are removed, so they are on his tail hopefully.

I would never do business outside ebay, initiated within Ebay. It has been suggested to me, but I have always backed out. It is suspicious behavior.

Thank's for the warning.

/Tom
ttf_DaveAshley

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: watermailonman on Oct 04, 2017, 03:52PMOh  Image This was interesting information. I did not think a criminal would specialize on trombones. Cameras and mobile phones Yes, but trombones  Image. It seems the ads are removed, so they are on his tail hopefully.
If you click on the link to see all auctions by a seller, you'll see all kinds of musical instruments, cameras, bicycles, and other items.

Today, I looked up the business name of a seller whose account had been hijacked.  I found the phone number on Google and called them.  The scam auctions were gone shortly after.
ttf_SilverBone

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

These scams have been around for decades.

If eBay really wanted to stop them, it would be easy enough.  Change the listing process so that a confirmation email is sent to the seller before the listing is posted.  If it's possible that the scammer also hacked the seller's account to change the contact email, then simply add 2-factor confirmation.

For convenience, all listings posted in one day could be batched with a single confirmation.

But eBay doesn't care...
ttf_BillO

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_BillO »

It's back up again : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Conn-62HG-Greenhoe-Bass-Trombone-/401417076258?hash=item5d76527e22

This person's persistence is amazing.  They must be enjoying some success at this.
ttf_DaveAshley

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: SilverBone on Oct 04, 2017, 10:11PMBut eBay doesn't care...

Well, you know, eBay doesn't make enough money to hire a few staff to prevent fraud  Image
ttf_watermailonman

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: BillO on Oct 05, 2017, 05:56AMIt's back up again : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Conn-62HG-Greenhoe-Bass-Trombone-/401417076258?hash=item5d76527e22

This person's persistence is amazing.  They must be enjoying some success at this.

...and now gone again.

/Tom
ttf_BillO

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: watermailonman on Oct 05, 2017, 07:17AM...and now gone again.

/Tom
I reported it.  Don't know if that helped.
ttf_SilverBone

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Oct 05, 2017, 06:11AMWell, you know, eBay doesn't make enough money to hire a few staff to prevent fraud  Image

eBay used to have *volunteers* who did a very good job of policing some auction categories.  eBay disbanded the group who used to do that.  In the groups where the fraud group was disbanded, fraudulent auctions shot up (no big surprise).

ttf_MrPillow

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Why does it even matter? Fraudulent auctions are pretty obvious, and even if they aren't is it possible to get scammed on eBay as a buyer with all the PayPal protection? Trying to find them all and get them deleted seems like a waste of time.
ttf_mark fellows

Over and over on Ebay

Ebay and Paypal are only interested in Ebay and Paypal. Their service level is beyond awful. Used to be fun - now misery at twice the price
ttf_Posaunus

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Are any of these "Vintage H.N. White" listings legit? 
ttf_BillO

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Posaunus on Yesterday at 08:40 PMAre any of these "Vintage H.N. White" listings legit? 
Yes, they are legit - but a bit over priced.
ttf_Euphanasia

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: MrPillow on Oct 05, 2017, 07:14PMWhy does it even matter? Fraudulent auctions are pretty obvious, and even if they aren't is it possible to get scammed on eBay as a buyer with all the PayPal protection? Trying to find them all and get them deleted seems like a waste of time.

Any time there's something wrong on the internet, I feel obligated to fix it. I'm down to four hours a week, but I feel I'm making a dent in the number of "wrong" things related to pre-1940 sterling silver-belled tenor trombones listed on Ebay.  Image
ttf_Euphanasia

Over and over on Ebay

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: MrPillow on Oct 05, 2017, 07:14PMWhy does it even matter? Fraudulent auctions are pretty obvious, and even if they aren't is it possible to get scammed on eBay as a buyer with all the PayPal protection? Trying to find them all and get them deleted seems like a waste of time.

Any time there's something wrong on the internet, I feel obligated to fix it. I'm down to four hours a week, but I feel I'm making a dent in the number of "wrong" things related to pre-1940 sterling silver-belled tenor trombones listed on Ebay.  Image

Return to “Found on the Net”