Eb bass trombone-shaped object from India on Ebay

ttf_SBMaestro

Post by ttf_SBMaestro »

This took me by surprise tonight while I was sifting through the umpteen pages of spammed listings of garbage horns from India:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Slide-Trombone-for-Army-Band-Made-of-Brass-Eb-Pitch-W-Free-Case-Mouthpc/173117013366?hash=item284e93fd76:g:0EAAAOSwKWpZdMrh

Note that they don't even show the handle in any pictures that would be necessary to operate the trombone all the way down to 7th position, even though there is a receiver hole for the handle on the hand slide's cross brace.

I certainly won't buy it, but how bizarre...
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Don't think it's in Eb.  More likely in G.  Missing the handle for the slide (unless you have the Yeti playing it).  If it's new, it's junk (like most of the other Indian stuff is).  Note also that the outer slide is on upside down.
ttf_SBMaestro

Post by ttf_SBMaestro »

Yeah--it would make more sense that it's a copy of a G bass trombone--Indian makers still seem to use the old British Empire instruments as models for their garbage horns--hence the echo bell cornets and even Albert-system clarinets.  I just wish someone could get them to stop spamming Ebay with 20+ pages of the same trash over and over again every few days.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Has anyone attempted to get them to produce non-garbage instruments yet?
ttf_Splendour

Post by ttf_Splendour »

Either that's a G bass, or that's a very long bed they put it on to take photos.
Also, the description says 110cm, which is about the same length as the cases for both my Besson and Boosey G basses.

Interesting that there's still someone out there making them. I'd be half tempted to order one in a spirit of inquiry, if I weren't bidding on a old Hawkes instead. I don't have a trombone collection problem, I can still fit at least three or four more in the spare room....
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Splendour on Jan 26, 2018, 05:57AMEither that's a G bass, or that's a very long bed they put it on to take photos.
Also, the description says 110cm, which is about the same length as the cases for both my Besson and Boosey G basses.

Interesting that there's still someone out there making them. I'd be half tempted to order one in a spirit of inquiry, if I weren't bidding on a old Hawkes instead. I don't have a trombone collection problem, I can still fit at least three or four more in the spare room....

The Hawkes is a much better idea.  The Chopra instruments vary from awful to worse.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Splendour on Jan 26, 2018, 05:57AMEither that's a G bass, or that's a very long bed they put it on to take photos.

The Hawkes is a much better idea.  The Chopra instruments vary from awful to worse.

Return to “Found on the Net”