Naming Trombones

ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

Or if you get "top gear" on BBC America or otherwise, a vehicle driven acrossed some African Countries was named "Oliver" by Hammond

http://au.transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2009/05/04/tonights-top-gear/

why, why knot
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

came up with a name for my birthday present:

"Sterling"

b/c I am part Scottish and it just seem to fit

late 20's King Silver Tone Model 1455, dual bore .481-.508, 7 1//4" bell.  pictures are in the gallery.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1548

I like it, I like it, I really, really do.  Thanks DJ  but even more thanks to the wife and kid.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Adurobone on Dec 04, 2003, 05:39PMMy old Holton is Jack. I'm  getting a new one soon, though.
Here's a question: Are trombones masculine or feminine (in concern to naming) ?
well....feminine, because guys always give any kind of machine girl names...like a truck named betty.....and us guys always say like..."her" or "she in reference to lawnmowers....so i guess the same can be said to trombones.....
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My Conn 48H is Rachel. Rachel always seemed like the name for a finicky kind of girl to me, possibly because of "Friends". The 48H feels great most of the time, but occasionally gets really stiff and disagreeable.

Conn 88H-YO is Amy. Very sweet and pure, but sometimes a little immature. I love my 88, but it simply can't get broad and dark like other modern orchestral tenors.

Yamaha 354 is just You. As in, "I'm going to turn You into a floor lamp."

I named my friend's used, custom Yamaha bass Orson. Another friend's used Bach 42BO is Clyde.

Don't what I'll name my future alto or bass, nor any additional tenors. Actually, scratch that. I know exactly what I'll name my bass: Big Barda, after the DC Comics character.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

im trying to name my yamaha bass Hulk because the laquer is almost gone....but it hasn't turned green yet...> . >   
< . <....someone hand me the green sharpie....oh! did I type that out loud?!
ttf_Bret Steed

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

Each one of my horns has a name...lol

ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've referred to my trombone as "my baby" but have never felt the need to put a lot of thought into naming it. Its true name is probably some unspoken musical idea, meant to be heard, but never written. ugh, that's a little poetic.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: HylianHero on Dec 04, 2003, 05:41PM</font>
<font size="1" face="Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif">quote:</font><font size="2" face="Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif">Originally posted by a_low_nt:
<strong> My old Holton is Jack. I'm  getting a new one soon, though.
Here's a question: Are trombones masculine or feminine (in concern to naming) ? </strong></font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif">Most as far as I've seen from here, and my school are usually feminine, I'm not too sure though.
Most people name their instruments the opposite gender of themselves I think, it's what I've noticed. Like how I'm female and my trombones are males.
ttf_Matt K

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

There's a guy in town who calls his bass "Captain Crunch"
ttf_SensitiveJohn

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_SensitiveJohn »

captain chrunch is a hilarious name

The trombone i borrowed from my school last year was name C. Thomson because that was written on the case. The only problem is no one at our school was eve r named c Thomson   Image
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: trombonechick246 on Sep 24, 2010, 07:16AMThe only problem is no one at our school was ever named c Thomson   Image
Maybe it was a donated horn?

I named mine, with some catchy original names.... Image

I own....
da Williams (Williams model 3)
da Soupa (42 Super Olds)
da Silva Soupa (46 silver plated Super Olds)
da Opera (62 Olds Opera)
da Strad (Bach 42B)
etc...

T.

ttf_sdjazz

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

I most commonly use "my good horn" when my friends are horsing around after school, and I threaten them with death if the ase gets a scratch, but I have named my Yamaha YSL-356R Megan, partly due to the fact that she has red hair and my trombone bell is red brass Image.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Never had names until I picked up my first student.  He is borrowing my 77h frankenbone and I called it "Ugly"  He calls my 78H "Purdy" because it looks nice compared to "Ugly." My most recent ebay purchase (a very nice playing 70's 77h Connquest) we call "Scratchy" because the slide is by far the loudest of the bunch. 
ttf_sdjazz

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

My Jupiter peashooter is named Jane. My new chinese marching horn is named POS. My flute is named Alex.
ttf_Matt K

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm getting a Lindberg Valve installed on my Bach 42... (Bach 42CL???)  I think I'm going to call it Baconn.
ttf_dysdxl

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_dysdxl »

One of my friends named my YSL640 "snowflake"
because she thought the tuning fork symbol thing looked like a snowflake. 

We then translated it into Japanese, (Yamaha..yeah...) making her Yuki. 

I think that trombones should be feminine, if only for the reason that
we spend an inordinate number of hours with our faces pressed into them. 
ttf_sdjazz

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

What if you're a girl?
ttf_Revwrona

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Revwrona »

Eventually I will name my trombone, I have to wait until I make a reference to it and I just naturally say a name for it.

In reference to gender, It would have to be feminine.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My YSL-354 is Larry.
ttf_Rob Earhart

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Rob Earhart »

I recently named my new trombone "Juliet" in honor of the Phantom Regiment.
ttf_JaneOlds

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_JaneOlds »

Never named my student bach, tried for ten years but nothing seemed to stick but my 'new baby' Olds Super is Rose, cause she is rose brass and she is the daughter I always wanted (even my son calls her 'mummy's new baby'!) Dunno how I know she is a girl but she just is, and yet my bach was a boy Image
ttf_mcjohnbone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_mcjohnbone »

My Shires is Seran, my Getzen is Josue, and my old marching trombone that I've retired was Johnny.
ttf_BassCase

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BassCase »

My Duo gravis is Beaulah.  My Martin Urbie is Slim.  My crappy Chinese tuba is Bee-otch! 
ttf_boneheaded518

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_boneheaded518 »

Always fun to name a horn Image  my Shires is named Prometheus, my alto is named Hermes, and my Martin is named Rutherford.  My favorite names, however, are my King and my Yamaha student horn.  I named the King Mayonnaise, as in "is mayonnaise and instrument?"  And the Yamaha is named Horseradish, as in "No, Patrick, horseradish isn't an instrument either."

Still need to name my pbone, although I'm having an artistic friend of mine take some sharpies to it and make it prettier, so I'll wait until after that to name it
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I call my Olds P24G "the bass trombone", my Bach 36B "the tenor trombone" and my old Conn valve trombone "the valve trombone."  Hey, when you only have three this system works.
ttf_LowrBrass

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

I named mine in high school ("Robbie" and "Napoleon"), but haven't used the names recently. Something about pretending to be an adult...?

These days, being completely devoid of fun, as all grown-ups are, I merely refer to them as "my beater horn" and "my good horn" (alternatively known as "my 36").
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have yet to name my Getzen, my Rath is named Eve (After a special someone in my life), and my 4B inherited the name of my first horn - Archer.
ttf_robcat2075

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

No, I've never been able to name objects. Even when my parents had a boat I felt silly referring to it by its boat name.
ttf_Socal77

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

I too have never had any desire or need to name any object. Heck, I usually have trouble getting the names of my three daughters right.

For those that name their trombones, has anyone had a "male" trombone that felt it was actually a "girl?"
ttf_jmtheob

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Feb 10, 2016, 08:45PMI named mine in high school ("Robbie" and "Napoleon"), but haven't used the names recently. Something about pretending to be an adult...?

These days, being completely devoid of fun, as all grown-ups are, I merely refer to them as "my beater horn" and "my good horn" (alternatively known as "my 36").

I have a similar system: "the Olds, The Holton and the Blessing."
ttf_BGuttman

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Socal77 on Jun 08, 2016, 07:30AM...

For those that name their trombones, has anyone had a "male" trombone that felt it was actually a "girl?"

I have one that is biologically a girl but self-identifies as a boy Image
ttf_greenbean

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Mine came with names...

The 3B, the Conn, the Duo Gravis, etc,...   Image
ttf_Toddbrubaker

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Toddbrubaker »

Rath Contra's name is "Brunhilde",and the Rath Bass is "The Wrath".

Corny, but satisfying on some visceral level Image
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I don't name anything necessarily, be it my car, bicycle, horn, or whatever. When people ask though, I always just say "Tim". I don't know why, I just arbitrarily picked a name. So, unofficially, every horn--from the Conn mellophonium on the wall to the bass trombones I play daily--is named Tim.
ttf_Posaunus

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 08, 2016, 08:30AMI have one that is biologically a girl but self-identifies as a boy Image

Bruce,

Be careful which rest room you take your trombone into - in some states, you could get into trouble!   Image
ttf_Mahlerbone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

My trombone is named Chewy.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

While my instruments are not named, and I clearly see the merit in a feminine name for something that is both artistic/musical and, more critically, continuously pressed against my face ... I somehow cannot discount the fact that these weak sauce names somehow bring a great instrument down. Sure, an edgy cool name like Nora Morse, or Lucille would kill several birds with one stone ...

But for sheer awesome power that isn't actually a man's name, yet conjures up images like the one below, may I reserve the exclusive right to use the following name for my new Edwards:

Il Duce

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: Matt K on Nov 22, 2010, 04:30PMI'm getting a Lindberg Valve installed on my Bach 42... (Bach 42CL???)  I think I'm going to call it Baconn.

This sounds cool, matt. Did this actually happen? Have you posted about this in another thread?
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My school-owned YBL421G Yamaha single bass is "Big Bertha". Someone named her before I got her.
My Roy Benson double bass is "Cortland". Named after all the hours of work at an apple orchard it took to earn enough money to buy the trombone. (Cortland is an apple variety)
ttf_Big Daddy K

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

ttf_BillO

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BillO »

What?  Other people name their trombones??

Yeah, me too...

King 4B
Yamaha 354
Blessing 88B
Conn 2H
Tiger
Shires Custom
XO 1240RL

ttf_LowrBrass

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: BillO on Feb 02, 2017, 09:17PMWhat?  Other people name their trombones??

Yeah, me too...

King 4B
Yamaha 354
Blessing 88B
Conn 2H
Tiger
Shires Custom
XO 1240RL

People name boats. Why not name other babies?

I do think it tends to be more prevalent among players <25 years old.
ttf_Jhereg

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Besides calling them "The Minick", "The Williams" or "My Bach", I like to give them funny associations based on their unique sound, or just how I think of them abstractly. Sorry if some of these sound dirty, it's not meant that way (but yeah I can see how you'd get there).

The Minick = "honey stick" or "vanilla" or "little one"
The Williams = "hot fudge" or "chocolate" or "the old guy". One of my coworkers who doesn't speak great English keeps calling it "The Very Expensive Magic" and I really like that.
My Bach = "big one" or "air hog"

Silly but fun Image
ttf_Exzaclee

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: Jhereg on Feb 04, 2017, 08:45PMBesides calling them "The Minick", "The Williams" or "My Bach", I like to give them funny associations based on their unique sound, or just how I think of them abstractly.

if I gave my horns names associated with their sounds, they'd probably go something like this:

'53 2B - Fart Master

Truitt 2B+ - Silent but deadly. And not so silent.

Shires Large bore - Smell the sound.

Someday, I hope my nephews discover this page and have a good laugh.
ttf_JasonDonnelly

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_JasonDonnelly »

I refer to my trombones as "the tenor" and "the bass".
ttf_BiggieSmalls

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BiggieSmalls »

Quote from: Jhereg on Feb 04, 2017, 08:45PMThe Williams = "hot fudge" or "chocolate" or "the old guy". One of my coworkers who doesn't speak great English keeps calling it "The Very Expensive Magic" and I really like that.

All fitting names for a very special horn. When I owned it, I called it "The Harold Branch Horn" in honor of it's original owner. Glad it went to such a good home!

Other horns I've owned and sold tend to be remembered by the years they were made and the places where I acquired them: the "Memphis '57 8H", the "Denver '55 Burkle", etc.

I call my '59 6H "Baby Doll", while my Minick 8H bell hooked up to a C series slide is my "Big Baby".

The Mt. Vernon Bach Mercedes I just got from DJ is the "Easy B", because it's just so fun and easy to play.
ttf_davdud101

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Yamaha 354 - Ace
Yamaha 548 - Rose
Olds Ambassador - ... still thinking. How about "Tommy"?
ttf_uncle duke

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Olds Ambassador - Harold, Stanley or Gus would be more appropriate.
ttf_ISAB

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Now that I think about it, my Xeno could be "The Beast"
ttf_TomBone4

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_TomBone4 »

I will not name anything I put my mouth on...  Image

Return to “Polls”