Women Trombonists

ttf_Stewbones43

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Thanks for the input Ed.
I knew Maisie vaguely as a boy. Her husband Ray played trombone in the Sheffield Citadel SA Band in the late '40s-early '50s sitting next to my father Bram Stunell and, although her career meant that she travelled around a lot, she made some appearances in Sheffield. As a small boy it is without a doubt that something rubbed off and, what with my father's influence and tuition, and contact with a player of her stature, I started to play the trombone. I wasn't big enough, so my father had a G trombone handle fitted onto an old pea-shooter tenor trombone by the local brass repairer, the recently deceased Wilf Heaton. That was 55 years ago and I'm still playing and still learning, although the pea-shooter is long gone!
Cheers
Stewbones
ttf_freestyle eric

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_freestyle eric »

QuoteI hope if you ever meet Megumi Kanda or any of those other women trombonists out there who are often making more money than other trombone playing aspiring men you say sorry!oh man, i took lessons from megumi in high school.  she is a freaking BADASS musician.  hahaha.  you wouldn't think that such a tiny lady could have such an enormous sound.  

also, i would really like to bring to the attention of those who don't know:
sliding hammers.  two amazing swedish jazz trombonists.  they're sisters.  they're incredible.  really big on j&k, really wonderful melodic players from the bop tradition.  one of them sings beautifully too.  and they're gorgeous, to boot!
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Susan Smith is great!  I studied with her about 21 years ago... WOW... I'm getting old.  I wish that I could play in a group with her now.  She could get the most air into her lungs than anyone else I've ever seen.  What a huge sound.

Lisa Albrecht was in the San Antonio Symphony when I moved there... she's another great player.

Lee Hill Kavanaugh is a good bass trombonist (previously with the big band Diva).

Jan Kagarice

I've played with some great military trombonists that were female... I can't remember their names right now.

My wife plays trombone, her three sisters play trombone, and two of her nieces also play trombone.  We have our own trombone choir.
ttf_second.chance

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_second.chance »

Ed... talking of Maisie (who had a big influence on my playing and is a great family friend) I read those links and was interested to read something about the first good trombone she had she said

"In those days, Salvation Army Officers were paid what the local Corps could afford and my parents didn't get a big salary, but they saved and saved and sacrificed quite a lot to buy me my first trombone which cost £15. It was a Triumphonic Soloist, a Salvation Army make, and it was a very good trombone."

That trombone was my very first trombone, I learned to play on it and was still playing on it when I was 16. I still have it - not exactly very playable - and how small it is. I intend to talk to Michael Rath about it one day and get him to make some new inners for the slide - it will be playable then.  I saw Maisie a couple of months ago at Staines Salvation Army along with Don Lusher who was the guest soloist, I really should get it sorted and let Maisie have a blow on it - I dont reckon she would think it was such a good trombone after all, especially after her 88!!

Kindest regards... Doug
ttf_djdekok

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_djdekok »

anyone ever hear from Charlotte Leonard? I went to school with her at U-Michigan in the early 1980's...is she still playing up in Canada?
ttf_RedHotMama

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Quote from: "Stewbones43"  
I knew Maisie vaguely as a boy.

Sorry, reading that just made me smile.... Image
ttf_Stewbones43

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Mama, put whatever punctuation you want to, wherever you want to put it and behave yourself Image
Cheers
Stewbones
ttf_RedHotMama

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I saw Lea Nielsen's name pop up her, nice. There's a coupla other female trombone players of merit over here: Norwegian Annette Huseby plays bass bone with the Danish Radio Big Band, was on leave for a year with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra and is now back in the big band. Also subs with Niels Jørgen Steen's Monday Night Big Band. Of jazz players we have a few: Lis Wessberg who has played with Jan Kaspersen's SOB (alongside me) for many years, and here's a newbie: Sara Madsen from the Rhythmic Conservatory of music. Recently played a project with George Russell, no less, in Odense and won acclaim for her solo-endavours. Has subbed recently with the NJS MNBB, reads well and plays nice solos. Promising.
erling
ttf_WaltTrombone

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

We're forgetting Deborah Weisz and Monique Buzzarte and Janice Robinson.
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "deanmccarty"Susan Smith is great!  I studied with her about 21 years ago... WOW... I'm getting old.  I wish that I could play in a group with her now.  She could get the most air into her lungs than anyone else I've ever seen.  What a huge sound.
Dammit Dean, ya beat me to Susan. Image

I have to agree with Dean, I studied with her too at the same time and the woman was the size of a Barbie Doll, was constantly eating rice cakes and could peel plaster off the wall when she played. Image
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Went to a clinic last year in which Jan Kagarice gave a talk about her problem with Facial Distonia. What a great Bass Bone player. Also Amy Morrow?  I really do not see gender as an issue for any musical instrument. I know lots of  female tubists and bonists . Image
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I work with Jen Krupa occasionally.  She's a great musician/trombonist.  Of all my trombone students at my college teaching gig, the females are more plentiful and consistently better than the guys.  

And, you should all be checking out Melba Liston.  Slide has told me numerous times how amazing she was as a composer/musician/trombonist.  She was the musical director for Dizzy's big band in the 50's.  I believe that band also included Lee Morgan, Slide, Paul West, et al...  

Personally, I think all of the testerone running around our male bodies makes it difficult to focus and/or mature.  That is a self critique also.  I've already had "the talk" with my daughter, during which I assured her that all men are animals.  "You want to find the ones who've developed their higher brain functions."  I think she gets it.  I have a few more years to keep reinforcing the message.
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "tbonechica82663"hey so can anyone name any good women trombone players? or is it just a lost cause?

It is obvious that some of our members need training not only on the trombone but also in how to be sensitive, thoughtful and aware people.

Susan K. Smith (2nd in Nashville) is an outstanding player!

If you read Song and Wind you will realize that ones sex has a small part of playing the trombone.  The flute uses more air than a trombone!
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Susan K. Smith ALL the way.  Austin Peay State is just a short drive from Fort Campbell.  Like a BAFOON I waited until right before I deployed (this time around) to start taking lessons from her (even then PLDC and Air Assault school limited my playing greatly).  I can't tell you how much I regret not meeting her earlier (I wasted two years between deployments not practicing much and just thinking if I wished hard enough, I'd get better).  In a few short lessons she SAVED my playing.   Kindest pro I know.  Small woman with a GI-NORMOUS sound.  I joke to my pals that her Shires (I think)/Bach/Mutt of a trombone is bigger than she is! lol.  If I decide not to return to Indiana when I get out of the service there will be no question: Austin Peay/ Susan Smith.
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "Dennis K."You need to read this story of Abbie Conant.  Inspiring!!!

http://www.osborne-conant.org/ladies.htm

COOL Image
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Gender Shmender.....

I spent the first half of my career  with the lovely and talented Vivian Lee as my second trombonist in the Montreal Symphony.  She was great!

Nowadays, I toil away with the equally lovely and talented Becky Cherian here in the Pittsburgh Symphony......Fantastic!

I simply can't imagine a world without a female trombonist sitting next to me.

You go girls!

Pete Sullivan---Pittsburgh Symphony
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I did an interview with my friend Karna Millen for the Shires website:

http://www.seshires.com/playerprofiles/millen.htm

Several very fine female players have gone to school in Boston, but Karna was the first to play for the BSO.
ttf_svenlarsson

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Check out the sliding Hammers, the sisters Karin and Mimmi Hammar
are doing great in Sweden and the neighbor countries.
I am proud of them, as they booth studied with me.
http://www.slidinghammers.com/
ttf_Edward_Solomon

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Edward_Solomon »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Sep 09, 2005, 04:59AMCan't see any mention of Maisie Ringham Principal Trombone with the Halle Orchestra here in the UK post WWII. She was also a top class Conductor in the Brass Band World in the UK.
Cheers
Stewbones

Sadly Maisie Ringham Wiggins passed away last weekend aged 92. She was still playing the trombone regularly and will be greatly missed, mourned across the world by family, friends, and students.
ttf_largobone

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_largobone »

I don't think Carol Jarvis was ever mentioned on this thread.

Also, here's a video of another great female trombone and euphonium soloist: Danielle Elsinghorst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUv76QcT_5c

ttf_gonzotheduck

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_gonzotheduck »

I have already seen my nominee for "Female Trombonist Extraordinaire" listed earlier in this thread but I have a story to relate about her amazing talent.  When I retired from my symphony bass trombone job, I began a second career as a recording engineer.  It was a field that I always was interested in and found it equally as enjoyable as my career as a trombonist.  My policy regarding time limits on recording sessions was, I believe, unique.  I agreed to record the client for as long as they wished to perform. It was a fixed fee regardless of the time involved.  Normally, I was asked to record no more than a couple of hours --- what most of us consider to be a damned good workout. Well --- this particular lady trombonist tripled that figure for a total of six hours of recording time.  I must say that she sounded as good at the beginning as she did at the end despite the fact that it was a very demanding repertoire.  Being a trombonist myself, I couldn't believe the incredible endurance and consistent quality throughout that session.  She went on to play in the San Diego Symphony.  Anyone guess who this "Iron Lady" was ?  It was Heather Buckman.  I also learned from this thread that she has become a conductor.  All I can say is that the trombone section in HER orchestra had better show some respect !   Cheers to all !!
ttf_Geezerhorn

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Bones Apart!

...Geezer
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A very attractive red-head hasn't been mentioned: Ms. Natalie Mannix!

Cheers, JP
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Didn't Jessica Buzbee record with Lindberg as a part of his stupid-good trombone choir?
ttf_anonymous

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Carol Jarvis, all the way! I believe that she was the founder of Bones Apart quite a few years ago.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Lush slide on Mar 24, 2017, 04:04PMCarol Jarvis, all the way! I believe that she was the founder of Bones Apart quite a few years ago.

Bones Apart should get together again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Geezer
ttf_BillO

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Lush slide on Mar 24, 2017, 04:04PMCarol Jarvis, all the way! I believe that she was the founder of Bones Apart quite a few years ago.
I think they got together in secondary school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHw8P8NnUvI

I'm impressed.

ttf_musicofnote

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_musicofnote »

The trombonists in "Ten Thing"
Audrey Christensen Manganaro whose main instrument is bass sackbut, but also plays in a female orchestra based in Leipzig,
Gunhild Carlin who plays several instruments
Abbie Conant

and many here, who I unfortunately don't know personally.
http://www.buzzarte.org/directory.html
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 24, 2017, 06:39PMBones Apart should get together again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Geezer

http://www.bonesapart.com/

They never weren't a group. Personnel just changed.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 25, 2017, 09:17AMhttp://www.bonesapart.com/

Image Probably so much better now!

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Women Trombonists

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 25, 2017, 09:17AMhttp://www.bonesapart.com/

Image Probably so much better now!

...Geezer

Return to “Trombonists”