Australia Day 2018

ttf_Graham Martin

Australia Day 2018

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

We have a long weekend coming up due to tomorrow being Australia Day. Image

January 26th marks the day when in 1788 the First Fleet of British ships arrived at Port Jackson, New South Wales and the Flag of Great Britain was raised at Sydney Cove by Governor Arthur Phillip.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-25/australia-day-first-fleet-should-be-remembered-on-january-26/9360398

The date is somewhat controversial amongst the first Australians, the indigenous community calling it "Invasion Day". There is a very strong movement at present to change the date of Australia day for this reason. I am somewhat sympathetic to this change.

I have to say that the significance of the date January 26 has been somewhat lost in recent years with the encouragement of Aussies to get out on Australia Day and enjoy the outdoors in celebration of being Australian. Image  So I do not see that changing the date would be that difficult providing we still get a public holiday in the sun. Image 

ttf_BGuttman

Australia Day 2018

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We have similar reactions by Native Americans about both Columbus Day and Thanksgiving Day.  Both represent the start of a general decline in fortunes of indigenous American peoples.

Enjoy your holiday.  Convenient that it arrives in the middle of your summer. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Australia Day 2018

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Yep, it's a great day for a Barbeque. Image

On the more serious side, Australian of the Year award went to Quantum physicist Michelle Yvonne Simmons. Like me, she is a Pom. Michelle arrived in Australia in 1999. Professor Simmons' work at the University of NSW quantum physics department has helped develop leading technology on a global scale. Five years ago, her team developed the world's first transistor made from a single atom, as well as the world's thinnest wire.

Eddie Woo (Australia's Local Hero), Samantha Kerr (Young Australian of the Year) and Dr Graham Farquhar AO (Senior Australian of the Year) were also honoured at a ceremony in Canberra last night:

www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-25/quantum-physicist-named-2018-australian-of-the-year/9363206

Australia Day Honours list:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-26/meet-the-recipients-of-this-years-australia-day-honours-list/9362414

I have to say that, despite the objections of 'Invasion Day', Australia is probably the most successful example of a truly ethnically diverse community with Australians being from over 200 different countries.

ttf_JohnL

Australia Day 2018

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I was wondering why y'all didn't celebrate an Independence Day, but now that I see that it's January 1, it makes sense.

How about celebrating the day the last convict ship arrived?
ttf_JohnL

Australia Day 2018

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I was wondering why y'all didn't celebrate an Independence Day, but now that I see that it's January 1, it makes sense.

How about celebrating the day the last convict ship arrived?

Return to “Chit-Chat”