Ashes Cricket test series in Australia

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

The first Ashes Cricket test match gets underway here in Brisbane at the Gabba ground on Thursday.

The Poms are acting coy and are yet to indicate the make-up of their XI to face Australia. Image

It is traditional when the Poms come to Australia for the Ashes that we give them a good pasting and that is certainly the case from some of our players and the press at the moment.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-21/ashes-nathan-lyon-says-australia-will-re-open-england-wounds/9174958?section=sport

ttf_Graham Martin

Day 1 in the first Test match at the Gabba here in Brisbane has ended, after some rain delay, with the tourists batting at 4-196. Dawid Malan is on 28 not out and Moeen Ali on 13.

The commentators are saying that "A strong end to day one has seen Australia's bowlers take a slight edge". Personally, I think it is pretty much even-steven.

We are not expecting the weather to improve any with rain forecast for the next week. But let's see what transpires tomorrow. I am thinking we will really have a good day because the Brisbane fans will not allow anything else.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/vince-shines-but-aussies-finish-strongly-on-day-one-at-the-gabba/9185082

ttf_Graham Martin

England continued batting this morning and were eventually all out for 302 at lunchtime.

At stumps this evening, Australia were 165 for 4 after 62 overs. I was not a particularly good day for the Australian batsmen but Skipper Steve Smith and Shaun Marsh put together a bit of a rescue effort quite late in the day.

Nobody's game yet. Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-24/test-delicately-poised-with-smith-marsh-rescuing-aussies/9190328
ttf_Graham Martin

Things have turned slightly in Australia's favour towards the end of day three, after a Steve Smith century putting Australia 26 runs ahead of England with a first innings total score of 328 all out.   

Then the Poms had to bat again and the Aussies started to make inroads before stumps, taking 2 wickets for 33 runs, giving England an overall lead of seven runs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-25/smith-century-puts-australia-in-box-seat-after-day-three/9193570
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Both batting line ups seem a bit brittle, with Steve Smith being the difference between the two sides, there is no doubt that England are missing the aggressive pace and batting of Ben Stokes!
ttf_Graham Martin

I agree about Ben Stokes. But at day four stumps today, Australia are only 56 runs away from a crushing victory over England in the first Ashes Test Match. With all our wickets standing!

Openers David Warner and Cameron Bancroft produced a great start to the run chase, scoring 114 of the 170 runs needed and they did not look troubled at any time.

Captain Steve Smith did not opt for the allowed half-hour extension and the Aussies are coming back tomorrow with a possible 10-wicket win to open the Ashes series. Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-26/warner-and-bancroft-push-australia-close-to-victory/9194838?section=sport

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Most cricket commentators and followers here expected Australia to win at the Gabba, Adelaide has been talked of in the build up as the must win for England it being a day night game, if not then 5-0 to Australia.

The England tail makes it pretty much 7 and out when England bat....
ttf_Graham Martin

Australia has taken a 1-0 lead in the Ashes series with a 10-wicket win over England at the Gabba, Frankly the Australian batsmen too good for England in this match.

As mentioned, the next match is in Adelaide and is indeed a day/nighter. I hear that England do not like the Kookaburra pink ball that will be used. Must have something to do with the brand. Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Nov 26, 2017, 09:06PMAustralia has taken a 1-0 lead in the Ashes series with a 10-wicket win over England at the Gabba, Frankly the Australian batsmen too good for England in this match.

As mentioned, the next match is in Adelaide and is indeed a day/nighter. I hear that England do not like the Kookaburra pink ball that will be used. Must have something to do with the brand. Image

Well Ebgland haven't won at the Gabba for 31 years....  Kookaburra doesn't swing like the Duke ball, and gets softer quicker....and the seem is different too.....

Australia have much more experience of day night games, but this is a must win for England....  Steve Smith's 141 in the first innings was the real difference!
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

We wouldn't have been in the contest without Smith, but the Aussie openers delivered in the second innings unlike the first: the England bowlers weren't able to repeat their first innings plan. 

And Derek has moved.  Now at http://www.derekwatkins.co.uk/

ttf_Graham Martin

Quote from: vegasbound on Nov 25, 2017, 12:47AMBoth batting line ups seem a bit brittle, with Steve Smith being the difference between the two sides, there is no doubt that England are missing the aggressive pace and batting of Ben Stokes!

Latest news is that Ben Stokes has flown to New Zealand, supposedly to play for a Kiwi team. However, most people believe it is a scheme by England cricket's controlling body to make him available to the Ashes squad as quickly as possible if he is cleared of involvement in the street brawl that made headlines.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Nov 28, 2017, 10:29PMLatest news is that Ben Stokes has flown to New Zealand, supposedly to play for a Kiwi team. However, most people believe it is a scheme by England cricket's controlling body to make him available to the Ashes squad as quickly as possible if he is cleared of involvement in the street brawl that made headlines.

He is visiting family and may play some cricket with a local side, he broke his hand in the ' incident' and hasn't played a competitive game since.... Having seen the video of the afore mentioned incident any other person would be charged!!
ttf_Graham Martin

The 2nd Test has started in Adelaide and at the end of the first day-night's play honours can be considered even.

England won the toss and surprisingly chose to bowl on what looked like a batsman's wicket. However, England did restrict the Aussies from forming dangerous scoring partnerships and they just had to dig in to avoid any of their now almost trademark collapses. The Aussies were 4 wickets for 209 runs at stumps last night.

Today (Sunday) will be interesting. We can expect the Aussies to continue to concentrate on not losing wickets and build the score as best they can from bowling errors, perhaps hitting the Poms harder in the evening under lights.

I am not enjoying the sledging occurring on the field and the umpires should do something about it.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Marsh has repayed the selectors on his recall, England's fielding in both this and the previous test has been lacking!

ttf_Graham Martin

At the end of Day 2, I think Australia is in a very strong position at 442 for 8 declared. England then went into bat under lights and finished the day at 29 for 1. There were rain problems. the period time I enjoyed the most was when Australia was close to declaring and the tailenders were having a bit of a bash. Not forgetting Marsh's contribution of a vital Ashes century at a time of Aussie need. And against some good English bowling and changeable pitch conditions.

England will have to stay in all day with a good score if they are to have any chance of winning this match. I predict they will crash out. Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-03/ashes-test-marsh-masters-england-as-australia-surges-ahead/9221640?section=sport

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

England's lack of real pace in the bowling attack has been exposed in both this and previous test!

Sad to say it looks like a very one sided series..... Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Some great bowling and fielding on day three saw the Aussies really on top in the game. At the tea break Australia had a first-innings lead of 215. I stopped watching the game, convinced that Steve Smith would enforce the follow on and make England bat again. Much to my surprise this morning I found that Australia had chosen to bat again and there was a bit of a collapse; at stumps the score being 4-53. The main English wicket taker was swing bowler James Anderson with 2 wickets for 16 runs. Image

Well, today the Aussies must build on their lead and then maybe start destroying the Poms tonight under lights. The Aussies are still in a good position to win this one being 267 runs in front. But Steve Smiths' decision to bat last night was dopey. Especially as he was bowled out himself for only 6 runs. Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

I awake to find Australia had collapsed and James Anderson has his first ever 5for in Australia...... Leaving England a very unlikely 354 to win..... May escape with a draw... But doubt that still Australia's match to lose!!
ttf_Graham Martin

Harping back to my previous comments, I believe Australia's decision not to enforce the follow-on may ultimately give England the chance to complete a remarkable win in the second Ashes Test in Adelaide. Underlined of course by England's batting and Joe Root's great rear-guard innings last night - now on 67 not out when play recommences today.

Australia tried everything they knew in their bowling and fielding but it was just not good enough. The bowlers failed to swing the ball in the normally treacherous evening conditions, which may have been due to now having a new ball to take. England are now on 176 runs for 4 wickets. Mind you, if England does manage to score the outstanding 178 runs, it will be the most successful run chase in the history of Test cricket at Adelaide Oval.

Aussie skipper Steve Smith did not look very happy last night, his fielding placement was terrible, and I think the Poms might just pull this off. Image

Summary:
Australia First Innings - 442 for 8 declared (149.0 overs)
England First Innings - 227 all out (76.1 overs)
Australia Second Innings - 138 all out (58.0 overs)
England Second Innings - 176 for 4 (62.0 overs) still batting
ttf_Graham Martin

3.15 here in the afternoon in Brisbane, and Australia goes two up in the test match series. Image Although I was concerned about Australia' performance in the field, they have done well this afternoon with England falling well short on their batting at 120 runs behind.

Australia's bowling this afternoon was good, making up for what was a sorry second innings and to get skipper Steve Smith out of trouble with that ridiculous decision not to enforce the follow-on.

One more game to win and we can reclaim the Ashes, which England presently hold.

Summary:
Australia First Innings - 442 for 8 declared (149.0 overs)
England First Innings - 227 all out (76.1 overs)
Australia Second Innings - 138 all out (58.0 overs)
England Second Innings - 233 all out (84.2 overs)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-06/australia-blitzes-england-adelaide-win-2-0-ashes-lead/9232414?section=sport
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Both games have been decided by a big hundred from an Australian batsman in the first innings of each game...... We have now had 4 innings without an England batsman getting close to 3 figures....  But it was a very enthralling test!
ttf_Graham Martin

It still does not look as though Ben Stokes will make it into the English Test Team, but the fact that he has been included in England's ODI squad for the series that follows the Ashes shows the English selectors still have it in mind. Whether he plays or not will still depend on a decision from prosecutors about that brawl outside a Bristol club.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Dec 06, 2017, 03:43PMIt still does not look as though Ben Stokes will make it into the English Test Team, but the fact that he has been included in England's ODI squad for the series that follows the Ashes shows the English selectors still have it in mind. Whether he plays or not will still depend on a decision from prosecutors about that brawl outside a Bristol club.

Nothing has been reported in the uk about his inclusion as the cps are still to make the decision if charges are to be made!
ttf_Graham Martin

The Third Ashes Test match is just starting at the WACA in Perth. I originally thought it was a day/night game but I was forgetting that Perth is 3 hours behind Brisbane. Just a normal days play.

England won the toss and have chosen to bat first.

The series is on the line with this match and hopefully we can make it a 3-0 whitewash. Image

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Dec 13, 2017, 06:34PMThe Third Ashes Test match is just starting at the WACA in Perth. I originally thought it was a day/night game but I was forgetting that Perth is 3 hours behind Brisbane. Just a normal days play.

England won the toss and have chosen to bat first.

The series is on the line with this match and hopefully we can make it a 3-0 whitewash. Image

I believe England haven't won on that ground since 1978
ttf_Graham Martin

Quote from: vegasbound on Dec 14, 2017, 12:33AMI believe England haven't won on that ground since 1978

That's true but England played extremely well today and at stumps (10 minutes ago) they were 4 wickets for 305 runs. There was a record 5th wicket stand. Dawid Malan scored his his first Test ton.

Australia will have to work very hard for a win this time around.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Dec 14, 2017, 02:23AMThat's true but England played extremely well today and at stumps (10 minutes ago) they were 4 wickets for 305 runs. There was a record 5th wicket stand. Dawid Malan scored his his first Test ton.

Australia will have to work very hard for a win this time around.

Well time for England to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory!!
ttf_Graham Martin

England overall did very well scoring 403 in its first innings, despite losing the tailenders for very little. Now Australia is fighting hard at the crease in its first innings and a developing partnership between Smith and Khawaja.

At stumps today Australia are 3 for 203.

Anybody's game at this stage.
ttf_Graham Martin

I think Australia are now in the box seat to win this match after a wonderful day of batting in their first innings. Captain Steve Smith is leading by example and at stumps last night was on 229, his highest Test score. Image Batting with him is another high performer in Mitch Marsh, who is on 181. Overall, Australia is on 549 for 4, in reply to England's first innings score of 403 all out.

It did not seem to me that the English bowlers did a bad job. I think the wicket was not helping them and the Aussies were batting very carefully. There is also that home advantage factor, despite a very vocal 'Barmy Army'.

I think the best chance the Poms have today is for the weather to save them and produce a draw. There is a very strong likelihood of rain for Perth.

Incidentally, this is the very last test match for the WACA ground in Perth. After that the brand new stadium, recently opened, will be used.

Scorecard:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/cricket/results/?season=2017&competition=1964&match=41090&coverage=full&player_names=full&tabbed_innings=false&reverse_order=false

Play resumes today at 12.30 Perth time. I will not be watching because I have a gig this afternoon with the club band at the Swing Time Binary Music Club. Image Christmas tunes, of course. I'll keep up with the scores through the afternoon and watch the last hours this evening.

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

629 -9 declared.   England 100-4. And heavy rain arrives .....it is the lack of real pace in England's bowling attack and not having a world class spinner doesn't help either......

England need to make Australia chase 120 to win...... Australia historically not good at chasing low scores.... But unfortunately at present time England don't have a Willis, Botham , Flintoff or even Stokes!
ttf_Graham Martin

Despite the optimism in the press, I think Australia is still some way from reclaiming the Ashes. Certainly the Aussies made a good start on England's opening batsmen on day four, but a lot will depend on the weather today. This is the last day of play and England could hang around at the crease and play for a draw. Image

At stumps England was 4-132, still 127 runs behind Australia.

Scorecard:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/cricket/results/?season=2017&competition=1964&match=41090&coverage=full&player_names=full&tabbed_innings=false&reverse_order=false

ttf_Graham Martin

YOU BEAUTY! Australia has just won the third Test against England in Perth by an innings-and-41-runs, taking a 3-0 lead in the five match Series, and reclaiming the Ashes!  Image

Although I think the play by both sides was a lot more even than the press is claiming, I do think Australia has the edge and we owe a lot to thanks to skipper Steve Smith. He has certainly progressed a lot in my opinion since his early days as captain. Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

No one in. England is at all surprised, some good points made by various commentators that  back to back test is no use to a touring side, as any player called into the starting side will not have had any meaningful cricket for almost a month.

England where beaten by a better side, and the fact that the Australian pace attack is an average 8 miles an hour quicker has made a huge difference....also that England may have stood a slightly better chance on English singing pitches with the duke ball...but even then this side is not good enough!!
ttf_Graham Martin

The next test starts tomorrow on Boxing Day. Since Australia has won the series, the next challenge is for a clean sweep. Image

Personally, I think the two teams are more evenly matched than is shown by the results so far. Anyway, the Barmy Army has not given up by any means. I think this next one will be a super match.
ttf_Graham Martin

At stumps on day 1 of the fourth test, Australia have made a good start and are 244 for 3. Image

Openers Warner and Bancroft made 122 runs, largely off Warner's bat. Nice to see Warner back to scoring centuries.

Australia cruised along at 0-102 in the first session until the lunch break. But I think England commanded the second session, taking two wickets and conceding just 43 more runs by tea.

The scorecard reads:

Cameron Bancroft: Leg-before-wicket to Chris Woakes for 26
David Warner: Caught Jonny Bairstow, bowled James Anderson for 103
Usman Khawaja: Caught Jonny Bairstow, bowled Stuart Broad for 17
Steve Smith: Not out 65
Shaun Marsh: Not out 31

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What has disappointed most here is that England have not been brave enough to make changes for this match....3-0 down almost certain to lose the remaining two matches at least try something different!!
ttf_Graham Martin

England have hit back on the second day of the fourth test, bowling Australia out for 327. The first session today belonged to England's bowlers as the tourists claimed five scalps before lunch to halt the Aussie momentum. Steve Smith failed to add much to his overnight score, and was the first to fall on day two as he bottom-edged Tom Curran (1-65) onto his stumps.

Steve Smith dropped an edge to first slip from Alistair Cook, which would have been an important wicket. At stumps, Cook was unbeaten on 104 alongside Joe Root on 49 not out with England at 2-192, 135 runs behind Australia's first-innings total.

England have the edge at this stage of the game.

ttf_Graham Martin

The Poms have certainly had a great day at the crease, finishing the day at 9-491 and have their noses in front for the first time in the current series.

Opening batsman Alastair Cook has scored his second double century against Australia, giving the tourists a commanding first-innings lead in the fourth Ashes Test at the MCG. He also got the highest score of any touring batsman from any country at the MCG.

Cook spent more than 10 hours at the crease for his unbeaten 244, giving England a lead of 164.

The commentators were saying that England would be in a good position to win the match if they could finish the day 100 runs ahead. So with 164 in front, they should be in a great position to go on and win the game. Not forgetting of course that there are the second innings to be played.
ttf_Graham Martin

Day four or the fourth Ashes Test began well for the Aussies, finishing England's innings with the very first ball.

Australia then started their second innings and are 0-44 (Bancroft 21, Warner 23) and trail by 120 runs.
ttf_Graham Martin

Just before the tea break rain halted play, with David Warner and Steve Smith trying hard to keep Australia competitive but still trailing by 61 runs. News from the ground is that it is raining even harder and play is unlikely to resume today. It looks to me like this one will be a draw. Shame for the Barmy Army because I think the Poms could maybe have won this one.

ttf_Graham Martin

As predicted the fourth Ashes Test match against the Poms was a draw. Another century from Steve Smith helped the Aussies to bat out day five.

I guess this was England's best opportunity to get a win in the series but Smith just was not going to allow it to happen. Mitchell Marsh was batting with him at the end and his score of 29 off 166 deliveries helped to keep England well away from the Aussie tailenders.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

The only winner was the MCC pitch....terrible needs to be dug up!!
ttf_Graham Martin

Even Steve Smith was critical of the pitch.
ttf_Graham Martin

The fifth and final Ashes Test match begins tomorrow at the SCG. Mitchell Starc is apparently fully recovered and back in Australia's starting XI.  Image

The Poms are reading the pitch differently to the Aussies and have opted for a contrasting bowling strategy preferring to use two spinners. Image This is partially because allrounder Chris Woakes was ruled unavailable due to a slight strain in his left side. Included now is uncapped leg-spinner Mason Crane, who will make his debut.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jan 03, 2018, 12:05AMThe fifth and final Ashes Test match begins tomorrow at the SCG. Mitchell Starc is apparently fully recovered and back in Australia's starting XI.  Image

The Poms are reading the pitch differently to the Aussies and have opted for a contrasting bowling strategy preferring to use two spinners. Image This is partially because allrounder Chris Woakes was ruled unavailable due to a slight strain in his left side. Included now is uncapped leg-spinner Mason Crane, who will make his debut.

Well it can't get much worse, so a change is as good as a rest they say..... 
ttf_Graham Martin

Not a good start to the final Test because there was a lengthy rain delay. Then England won the toss and opted to bat with play now underway and 0 for 0.
ttf_Graham Martin

I thought England were going real well at the crease and it would be their day. However, a couple of wickets in the last two overs would you believe Image, turned the tide in Australia's favour.

So, at stumps England are 5-233.

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

The new ball in the last 5 overs swung the day Australia's way...but it was a great day of real test cricket !
ttf_Graham Martin

We start Day three of the last Test with Australia on 2-193 (Khawaja 91*, Smith 44*), after England was bowled out for 346. I thought England's bowling was very good and so you have to be impressed with this present Aussie partnership.

England's failure yesterday, if any, was in fielding. But I have not been greatly impressed with the fielding by either side. Image

I think Australia's present plan it to amass a very big score and then bowl out the Poms without having to bat again. May be wishful thinking. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

At stumps tonight, Australia had a great day at the crease with Usman Khawaja and Shaun Marsh guiding Australia to a big first-innings lead.

Steve Smith was out caught and bowled by Ali for 83.

Australia is 4-479 and leads by 133 runs after Khawaja's first Ashes century finished on 171.

Shaun Marsh took over from there and finished the day 98 not out, with brother Mitch at the other end on 63.

Actually, the Aussie scoring rate was quite low for most of the day at less than three runs an over. The Marsh brothers are now improving on that.

How the Aussies go tomorrow morning will determine if my previous prediction turns out to be correct.

Return to “Chit-Chat”