Worst Halloween treats?

ttf_robcat2075

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I think the most underwhelming Halloween treat I ever got was a page from a book of children's Bible stories.
ttf_Zandit75

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Halloween isn't that big here in Australia, but I might give this a go next year!
ttf_EWadie99

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

My younger brother got an invitation to go to church and I thought it was Jehovah's witness BS.  LOL
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I got a toothbrush once...
ttf_Piano man

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Oct 31, 2017, 09:04PMMy younger brother got an invitation to go to church and I thought it was Jehovah's witness BS.  LOL

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't allowed to celebrate anything, so that would make sense. I have a musician friend who's JW and he was the only available sub for a big Christmas party. He said he'd do it if it were just music and no ringing jingles or anything.
ttf_ronkny

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Nov 01, 2017, 05:09AMI got a toothbrush once...
And? So.......? Image
I gave out toothbrushes with candy.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I don’t recall any nonsense when I went trick or treating. Just candy the whole way through. I’m not so into hard candies so anything that wasn’t chocolate sometimes went wasted. I do like those fruit tootsie roll things, though.

I like that chocolate Brussels sprouts  Image I’ll use that to trick some party guests.
ttf_Bruce the budgie

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Bruce the budgie »

Quote from: ronkny on Nov 01, 2017, 12:05PMI gave out toothbrushes with candy.
Yesterday forenoon I was checking in for my semi-annual scrape/polish and gum line sounding, and noticed the ladies at the front desk had furry cat ears on, with whiskers drawn on their cheeks. A kid came in wearing a tiger stripe plush coverall, and for a moment the felines outnumbered the ones identifying as human in the room. I saw a bowl of wrapped “fun size” candy, but no toothbrushes given out.

An hour later, the preschool Halloween walk was in full cry, sidewalks packed with strollers and toddlers and parental units going from shop to storefront, and one of the city’s finest in a bright green vest minding the crosswalk. That evening we had our lights on, but no kids came ringing the bell. Oh well, too far out of town, I guess. Their loss; I foresee a surplus of chocolate in my near-term diet. My housemates and I see eye to eye on the minimum standard required for Samhain treats.

My usual presentation involves a small cast-iron skillet, for a couple of reasons. I learned in Heinlein’s “Magic, Inc.” that cold iron is incompatible with shenanigans originating in the spirit world. More practically, it lets the wanderers take what they like from the offered array, without starting a feeding frenzy over the big bowl holding the overstock of the evening’s ration.

ttf_Exzaclee

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

One of my students (Vince Norman - wrap your head around that one) gave out raisins last night. I thought that was pretty funny. Personally I love raisins, but don't know many others that do.
ttf_Jhereg

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

I always hated those taffies that came in black and orange wax paper, and were supposed to taste like peanut butter. Bleh.
ttf_trombonejb

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

pencils
ttf_jalapeno

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I predict black liqourice wont be around much if at all in 50 yrs
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Worst Halloween treats?

Quote from: jalapeno on Nov 01, 2017, 09:48PMI predict black liqourice wont be around much if at all in 50 yrs

No no. Lots of people love black liquorice. It's good! I think it will always be around as a sort of specialty treat.
ttf_jalapeno

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Nov 02, 2017, 04:50AMNo no. Lots of people love black liquorice. It's good! I think it will always be around as a sort of specialty treat.

I don’t thinks kids today exclaim with delight when they see black liqourice in their Halloween pumpkin container.

Their grandkids, probably even less so !

Is all I’m saying.

But they’ll still be drinking Jaegermeister !
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Worst Halloween treats?

Now THERE'S a Halloween treat for the kiddies!
ttf_robcat2075

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

There's so much sugar in regular food these days it's made candy boring.

I can't find any reports on the recent growth or decline of licorice.  It does show up in one survey as something that some people like.

Quote...50 percent of Americans prefer chocolate more than any other kind of candy. Across the nation the favorites are Snickers, M&Ms, Twix and Hershey’s Bars and Hershey’s Kisses. Of those surveyed 29 percent liked other candies including caramel, gummies, lollipops, hard candies, licorice, jellies and gum. Thirteen percent said they don’t like any of the candies listed.
ttf_robcat2075

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

More research...

Licorice comes in at #8 on "Least Popular"

10 Most Loved And Hated Halloween Candies

Quote1 Circus peanuts. These soft orangey-pink chewy peanut-shaped confections ranked high atop the list of worst candies to give Halloween visitors.

2 Candy corn. There are people who can’t get enough candy corn – the buttery-flavored tri-colored candy pieces – and others (apparently the majority) who detest them.

3 Wax Coke bottles. These nostalgic little bottles require you to bite into the tasteless wax outer layer to get a taste of the

4 Necco Wafers. Many consumers surveyed mentioned the chalky taste and texture of these colored candy disks wrapped in wax paper.

5 Peanut butter kisses (aka Mary Janes). While there was some confusion about exactly what peanut butter kisses were, researchers believe these flat bars of peanutty candy are, in fact Mary Janes.

6 Tootsie Rolls. Considered the cheap option, because you get a lot in a bag, consumers didn’t love the dark chewy goodness that Tootsie Rolls offer.

7 Smarties. The problem with Smarties apparently wasn’t so much the taste, but the texture. And the abundance – kids get so many!

8 Licorice. Few people surveyed indicated a preference for black licorice, not to be confused with red Twizzlers, however.

9 Good & Plenty. Since Good & Plentys are licorice wrapped in a hard candy outer shell, it makes sense that they would be next on

10 Mary Janes. Mary Janes are so disliked that they actually appeared twice on this list. The consensus was that peanut butter-flavored treats should not be chewy.

I actually like circus peanuts

ttf_BGuttman

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Gee.  I must be really odd (well, I AM a trombone player after all).  I like licorice.  Especially a Dutch brand called Dubbel Zoutie.  They are salty, and the Dubbel Zoutie is twice as salty.  I also like Good and Plenty, Licorice all-sorts, and even Tootsie Rolls.

Necco Wafers date back to before the Civil War.  Necco stands for New England Confectionary Company, and the original building is near MIT in Cambridge.  They have a bunch of odd flavors to our modern tastes, but were really popular to Victorians.
ttf_BGuttman

Worst Halloween treats?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Gee.  I must be really odd (well, I AM a trombone player after all).  I like licorice.  Especially a Dutch brand called Dubbel Zoutie.  They are salty, and the Dubbel Zoutie is twice as salty.  I also like Good and Plenty, Licorice all-sorts, and even Tootsie Rolls.

Necco Wafers date back to before the Civil War.  Necco stands for New England Confectionary Company, and the original building is near MIT in Cambridge.  They have a bunch of odd flavors to our modern tastes, but were really popular to Victorians.

Return to “Chit-Chat”