Hurricane Irma

ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hurricanes were experienced long before we had machines that could fly. 

We knew they had cyclonic flow around a stagnant eye (which had very low barometric pressure).  We knew wind speed was in excess of 130 knots. 

We also had wind tunnels that could test models at these windspeeds.

Airplanes could fly at the speed of a hurricane wind around World War II, so they could traverse a storm.

So the aeronautical engineers of the day simply beefed up the design of a bomber aircraft so it could withstand the buffeting and they loaded it with instruments to measure wind speed, pressure, etc.

ttf_robcat2075

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

That is the sort of confidence in design that enabled the Titanic's successful maiden voyage across the Atlantic.

ttf_Russ White

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Russ White »

They say you should prepare fopr the worst and hope for the best. Looks like that may be working out for us here in Volusia county. I finally finished my prep for this monster about an hour ago, and the latest NOOA tracking and predictions are saying we now have a 0% chance of experiencing hurricane force winds, about a 30% chance of 50km winds, and a 100% chance of tropical storm force winds. I will GLADLY take those odds compared to what we were looking at only 24 hours ago. My heart goes out to those on the west coast of Fla.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Today at 09:07 AMThat is the sort of confidence in design that enabled the Titanic's successful maiden voyage across the Atlantic.

Wow. Just Wow.  Great analogy. Image
ttf_robcat2075

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

It's at least as good as shouting "proven!" and then offering no proof.

ttf_badger

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_badger »

I was referencing the C 130 and it’s variants as a proven aircraft for a multitude of operations, maybe I mistook your statements.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/c130.html

You brought up the aircraft in the first place.

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/plane.html

There are more sources on the net concerning the C 130.

ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: badger on Yesterday at 01:13 PMI was referencing the C 130 and it’s variants as a proven aircraft for a multitude of operations, maybe I mistook your statements.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/c130.html

You brought up the aircraft in the first place.

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/plane.html

There are more sources on the net concerning the C 130.

NASA uses the P-3.   Both tough airplanes. The only thing to worry about is the engines freezing.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Yesterday at 10:24 AMIt's at least as good as shouting "proven!" and then offering no proof.

Fly in one.
ttf_Ellrod

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Ronky is back and an argument ensues. A special talent.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: Ellrod on Yesterday at 01:29 PMRonky is back and an argument ensues. A special talent.
Argument? How about disagreement?  And opposition to "the gang" here always results in "the gang" banding together against anyone who disagrees.
Try staying on topic Ellrod.  Hint;  it's about hurricanes. It's not about individuals.
ttf_Ellrod

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

As I say,  a special talent.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: Ellrod on Sep 10, 2017, 02:28PMAs I say,  a special talent.
The hurricane has a special talent.   Got it. Thank you.
ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm sure if the first Hurricane Hunter got downed back in the 1950s we'd be looking at something else.  But they work and work well.  Back in the days before satellites it was the only way to get information about hurricanes (which have been around forever).
ttf_slide advantage

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Quote from: Ellrod on Sep 10, 2017, 01:29PMRonky is back and an argument ensues. A special talent.

I would say snarkiness ensues  Image
ttf_Ellrod

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Latest reports say that 90% of Central and South Florida are now without power.

I hope our friends in Florida can check in when they are back up.  Including our vendors, Bill Hamilton (Warburton) and Bruce Lee (Esconndido, Facet Mutes).

Let us know where you are and how you fared.  We are concerned about you.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: slide advantage on Sep 10, 2017, 04:34PMI would say snarkiness ensues  Image
Right. Hurricane. Remember? You’re a mod. Pay attention to the rules.
ttf_ronkny

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_ronkny »

ttf_Ellrod

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Topic cop?
ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hey!  Stop bickering.  We were discussing the efficacy of Hurricane Hunter aircraft and you guys started sniping at each other.

Anybody in Florida on line?  Hello, is this thing on? (tap, tap) Image
ttf_robcat2075

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Is it better or worse that the eye has veered on land?

ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The problem with Harvey was that it parked half over land and half over water.  This means it sorta pumps water from the ocean to the land. 

When the eye is over land the storm tends to weaken.  Having it east of Tampa is a benefit.  It will probably be a tropical depression by the time it gets to northern Florida and is expected to dissipate to nothing by Wednesday.
ttf_Russ White

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Well, that was certainly no fun. Our community survived without too much major damage, but most of the county was without electricity for most of a week. We were lucky the storm veered inland and much of its energy drained before it got to us. Still, we had sustained gale force, or higher, winds for over 24 hours, with true hurricane level winds for 4-6 . Personally, we had a tree down across our driveway that kept us from being able to get our cars out from Sat to Sat. I have a small Honda generator that was adequate to run the fridge all day and a couple of fans at night, but we're on a well so we had no running water. I can attest that a bathtub full of water is sufficient to flush toilets for 2 people for a week. The temp index after the storm was in the 100 degree range. We spent a lot of time in the pool. My wife called it "glamping". Other than trees down we have no significant damage, but we may get a new roof out of it for all the shingles we lost. We were truly blessed. There are a whole lot of folks in this state, especially in the Keys, who lost everything they own. This is going to take longer to recover from that even Harvey just a couple weeks before.
ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Glad you're OK, Russ.  Also glad you didn't have too much damage.  A tree across the driveway can be a real problem.  We had one a few winters ago.  Landed on my wife's car and while it didn't do a lot of damage, it destroyed her sun roof.  I managed to find a guy to cut it up and we had insurance cover the replacement glass.  I was lucky.  It missed my car and I was not trapped by it.  I did need to cut a path from the fallen tree branches to get to it, though.
ttf_Russ White

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Our driveway is a quarter of a mile long, the tree was close to the far end and wrapped in power lines or I would have cut it up myself and gotten us out. Firefighting 101, "there is no such thing as a dead power line". Someone asked about Bill Hamilton. I believe he is playing on a cruise ship tour. I haven't heard about his house. I'll check in with him and get back to you.

Here is a hint of what those in the Keys have to deal with.........

https://www.facebook.com/tvswe/videos/10154845596258309/
ttf_badger

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_badger »

Not to start another thread...We may have another. This fellow is the best I've seen in a while for follow through and explanation for the TV.

FYI:

This guy is pretty darn good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vecXrOv78M

ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This one seems to be moving pretty fast.  Will hit on the Louisiana-Mississippi border and barrel through the east.  We'll get it on Tuesday.
ttf_BGuttman

Hurricane Irma

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This one seems to be moving pretty fast.  Will hit on the Louisiana-Mississippi border and barrel through the east.  We'll get it on Tuesday.

Return to “Chit-Chat”