Houston flooding post Harvey

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Politics aside, I hope you are okay Dusty. be safe  Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Shades of our Cyclones here in Queensland, Australia. I read now that Texans are warned to brace themselves for "unprecedented" rainfall of up to 1.3 metres, as record floods, tidal surges and tornadoes hit communities already devastated by Tropical Storm Harvey.

So keep safe everybody!

How is it for your Billy?

Thinking of you all because I know the devastation that was caused by our recent Cyclone Debbie in March. They are still cleaning up and rebuilding, mainly from the aftermath flooding that occurred.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Don't know what's doing in Nacogdoches where Billy is, but in Houston there is major flooding.  Forum member DDickerson is still dry and safe, but other Houstonians are in real trouble.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

If only we were already to the "post Harvey" stage. Latest report I saw said 50"+ total rainfall over a 4-5 day period. Still a long time to go. Been checking in with friends and family there and so far all is well, but many thousands have fared worse. The situation will only compound if the storm moves back to the gulf as the tracks now show.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The storm is sitting part over land and part over the Gulf.  This makes it into a giant water pump, picking up water from the Gulf and dropping it over southeastern Texas (and southwestern Louisiana).  The rain is coming at a rate the normal soil and drain systems can't deal with it and as a result there is severe flooding.  People report water up to their waists in their houses and they can't get out.  Because of the rain, rescue boats and vehicles can't go out.  Bad scene for all.  I hope the storm gets moving and takes its normal route petering out over the Appalachian mountains -- and soon.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Seems to be a recurring problem there.  Something like this in the building code would make sense...

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I'm still high and dry. I live in a neighborhood on Lake Houston, and so far, drainage has been staying ahead of the rainfall. I don't know how long it can last though. This might keep going on through Friday, and you know the flooding from the rivers and creeks will last later than that.

Thanks!

BTW, there are a lot of other forum members here in the Houston area. Zac Thornton seems to be doing well also, from what I've seen on FaceBook.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Best wishes to all in this and closer to it than is comfortable. As always when this kind of thing happens, one thanks one's lucky stars that one lives somewhere where extreme weather basically doesn't happen.

Take care out there.
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

I'm doing well.  We've only had continuous light rain since Friday. (I think the rainfall total so far is 3".)
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The real problem is the storm simply sitting on Coastal Texas and channeling water in.  There is expected to be a total in excess of 3 feet of rain.  The sewers and bayous simply cannot move that much water in a reasonable time.  Good luck to Dusty and Zac (HouBassBone) and anybody else who is there.
ttf_badger

Post by ttf_badger »

My brother lives just west of Shepherd & Buffalo Bayou. Water was 3 ft. from his slab last night but has receded a bit since.

He is still quite concerned.

ttf_badger

Post by ttf_badger »

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've been watching the coverage on CNN. Without having to use one's imagination, one might be looking at Bangladesh and not the 4th largest city in the US.

But, one question: where is the military, the National Guard? I see all kinds of private watercraft and individuals but I don't see any military presence. Am I missing something?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Ellrod on Aug 28, 2017, 09:20PMI've been watching the coverage on CNN. Without having to use one's imagine, one might be looking at Bangladesh and not the 4th largest city in the US.

But, one question: where is the military, the National Guard? I see all kinds of private watercraft and individuals but I don't see any military presence. Am I missing something?

The Texas National Guard has been activated and FEMA is already on the scene but they are less likely to be tweeting photos of themselves than civilian volunteers.

This NYTimes gallery has some official forces pictured.

AFAIK, the army-navy-air force military don't do this sort of natural disaster stuff. They all have ongoing national defense responsibilities and are not typically sitting untasked to be diverted to something like this.  That's my understanding.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Thanks for checking on me guys! I have been very lucky and just lost power for a few hours. Many of my friends and family have lost their homes and the rebuilding is going to take years. Any prayers or good vibes sent our way are appreciated!
ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Quote from: Ellrod on Aug 28, 2017, 09:20PMI've been watching the coverage on CNN. Without having to use one's imagine, one might be looking at Bangladesh and not the 4th largest city in the US.

I have not looked to find any, but I am sure you could find a lot of pictures of the Coast Guard doing rescues. They are the military that will be involved along the coast.
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Gov. Abbot activated the entire Texas National Guard last night.  You should start seeing more pictures of them soon.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Aug 28, 2017, 10:27PM

AFAIK, the army-navy-air force military don't do this sort of natural disaster stuff. They all have ongoing national defense responsibilities and are not typically sitting untasked to be diverted to something like this.  That's my understanding.

Governors have the authority to activate the National Guard under Title 32.

They can request regular military under Title 10 but it's complicated. 

Here are the rules:
http://dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp3_28.pdf

And here's a brief wiki explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Support_of_Civil_authorities

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

More National Guard on the way.  The storm isn't actually over yet so there's that impediment to moving in now.

Pentagon: Military Response In Texas For Harvey May Increase Tenfold Or More

Air Force Maj. Gen. James Witham told reporters Tuesday there currently are about 3,500 National Guard troops involved, including about 3,000 from the Texas National Guard. He estimated that the Texas guard number could rise to 8,000 to 10,000 in coming days, possibly joined by 20,000 to 30,000 from other states.

Witham is the director of domestic operations for the National Guard Bureau.

No talk of regular army yet, it seems.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Right now the resources of the Air Force, the Coast Guard, and maybe Naval and Army helicopters are of most value.  Supplies have to be shuttled into the shelters (many are surrounded by deep water) and there are still people on their roofs or upper floors of flooded houses.

It's important to airlift a lot of supplies since trucks (even high Army trucks) can't get through.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

So who actually controls the National Guard? I see things like this...

QuoteOn Monday, Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott (R) announced he was ordering the entire Texas National Guard — about 12,000 troops — to assist those affected by the storm.
And yet, every time a governor is running for President and claims commander-in-chief experience because of his or her state's National Guard unit, that gets batted down pretty quickly by someone in the National Guard.

This article has some coverage on the non-National Guard involvement.

QuoteArmy and Air Force

The Pentagon staged what officials called a search and rescue “package” that includes planners, nine helicopters and two cargo planes as well as pararescue teams, probably from the Air Force, at Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth
QuoteNavy

The Virginian-Pilot reported Monday that the Navy will begin preparing the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge and the landing ship USS Oak Hill for operations to support Harvey rescue efforts.
QuoteOn Tuesday, a Marine Corps official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss plans that had yet to be made public, said that the Marines were moving to help in Texas. Reserve units with inflatable boats, 7-ton trucks and Huey helicopters would all be involved in the relief efforts, the official said.
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

My Aunt who lives in Orange, TX (between Houston and Beaumont) called my mom this morning and told her that there was 10" of water in her house.  She was waiting on a boat rescue.
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Quote from: bhcordova on Aug 30, 2017, 07:20AMMy Aunt who lives in Orange, TX (between Houston and Beaumont) called my mom this morning and told her that there was 10" of water in her house.  She was waiting on a boat rescue.

I'm so sorry to hear that Bill. Hope she gets rescued soon.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

They were talking today about all of Port Arthur being under 3 feet of water.  Sad to hear.  Good luck to all affected.
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Quote from: ddickerson on Aug 30, 2017, 07:32AMI'm so sorry to hear that Bill. Hope she gets rescued soon.

I talked to my mom at lunch, and she said my aunt had been rescued and was safe.

I hope you are safe and dry.
ttf_badger

Post by ttf_badger »

Billy,

FYI:

http://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_73d344d2-8db2-11e7-8862-4bb7acdbb46c.html

I think this flows South near your Aunt's location. Her evacuation was a lifesaver.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I heard there's a serious need for Network guys to get computers back up as the power is restored in Houston.  Dusty, are you temporarily "unretired" to help out?
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 01:05 PMI heard there's a serious need for Network guys to get computers back up as the power is restored in Houston.  Dusty, are you temporarily "unretired" to help out?

I haven't heard, and nobody has called me, but I quit posting yellow page ads several years ago. I know I used to get a lot of calls during active thunderstorms, as they were more damaging to network equipment. Back in the day, when people and small companies had modems>routers>wifi>swithces, things would never power up in the right sequence, but now, it's all in one, so not as many problems as before.

So, I'm just helping out where needed, at the whim of my wife. LOL!

ttf_gpkimzey

Post by ttf_gpkimzey »

I live in Kingwood. Stayed high and dry. Lots of friends and coworkers who weren't as fortunate. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

With the aftereffects of Harvey still being felt, and likely to for a long time, you now have to look out for Hurricane Irma, which has strengthened into a highly dangerous category five storm as it heads toward the Caribbean and the southern United States.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

The story that caught my eye was that Irma is a Cat 5 only because there is no Cat 6. Hors categorie as they say in cycling.

So far, one major storm (Harvey) and, possibly, one on the way (Irma). We're only up to the letter I in the alphabet. (Do you remember Sandy?)
ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

WE appear to be dead center of the cone as it wobbles with each succeeding report. HOping it hits some steering currents that will move it one way or another before it gets here. Got about 4-5 days to prepare.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210552566311429&set=gm.2044671375756013&type=3&theater
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've been watching Irene on the NOAA site.  I've never seen a hurricane go straight up the center of Florida -- usually it goes up one coast or another.  I think one (Andrew?) actually crossed Florida twice (east to west and west to east).

I almost had a job in Melbourne FL and am kinda glad it didn't materialize.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

If you make a new Category 6 everyone is going to want one.

ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Sep 06, 2017, 09:10AMIf you make a new Category 6 everyone is going to want one.

Trust me, as a survivor of Andrew, I'll pass on that one, thank you very much.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Latest projections show it running up the east coast of Florida.  Maybe it will follow the bend and lurch out to sea after it hits the Outer Banks of North Carolina (I hope -- don't need that thing here!).
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

TS Jose on the way.

I'm no Bible thumper, but the world first destroyed by water (Harvey, Irma et al), then by fire (North Korea)? Has USA descended into a crazy Sodom/Gomorrah? Are these end times?

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

TS Jose on the way.

I'm no Bible thumper, but the world first destroyed by water (Harvey, Irma et al), then by fire (North Korea)? Has USA descended into a crazy Sodom/Gomorrah? Are these end times?

Return to “Chit-Chat”