Eclipse photos?

ttf_robcat2075

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

We only got 75% 'clipse here in Dallas.   But it was still noticeably darker.

I went outside and thought, "Am I wearing sunglasses?"

Early phase

Tree leave pinhole images

My long lens pinhole viewer:

Maximum dragon bite:

Next total eclipse comes straight through Dallas... when I'm 64!

How about the rest of you?  Any cool eclipse pics?

ttf_nhtrombone

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_nhtrombone »

The nine most recent pics on my instagram feed show some of the progress in Dover, NH.  We reached about 60% totality at peak. The pics of the viewer are not as clear as I'd like.  I guess what they say is true - the camera adds 10 pounds Image

https://www.instagram.com/nhtrombone/
ttf_BGuttman

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I was watching the NASA feed. We got 63% here and it only slightly darkened the light.  No worse than a cloud cover.

I had fun at the annular eclipse a few years ago.  Made my own pinhole viewer with oak tag sheets.  Annular shadows are really weird -- where you had crescents I had rings.
ttf_Bimmerman

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

We were at ~80% here in Menlo Park, but it was cloudy today. It was visible with the eclipse glasses though!
ttf_robcat2075

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: nhtrombone on Aug 21, 2017, 12:07PMThe nine most recent pics on my instagram feed show some of the progress in Dover, NH.  We reached about 60% totality at peak. The pics of the viewer are not as clear as I'd like.  I guess what they say is true - the camera adds 10 pounds Image

https://www.instagram.com/nhtrombone/

Your account is "private" so we can't see them   Image
ttf_BillO

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_BillO »

I got completely absorbed by my practicing and completely forgot about it.  We were supposed to get 74%, but...
ttf_Peter Eiden

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

My daughter took this one of an image on the Linde Robinson solar telescope at Caltech in Pasadena CA.  Pretty far south of the path, so I don't know home much more cover they got.  She said that campus was quite festive this morning.

I thought it was pretty cool.

She also bought a sheet of postage stamps of the eclipse.  They look like the total eclipse, but then in the light the moon's features emerge!

ttf_MikeBMiller

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I live just north of the totality zone, so I drove 30 miles south and hung around with a bunch of people in a parking lot just outside of Clinton, SC. I had the glasses and it was really cool to watch the moon come in slowly. The 2 minutes of totality was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. It wasn't dark like nighttime, but still pretty dark. And I never got around to taking any pics. I figured there would be plenty of pics to see and I didn't want to waste my 2 minutes.

ttf_nhtrombone

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_nhtrombone »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Aug 21, 2017, 12:21PMYour account is "private" so we can't see them   Image

Oops!  I tried posting some here, to no avail.  Ugh.  It was fun to watch - my girls (10 and 7) had a blast too!
ttf_robcat2075

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Apparently there was a large market in fake and inadequately-protecting eclipse glasses.

Short version: All clues point to China but no person will ever be identified.

Shades of Noir: My Hunt for an Eclipse Glasses Villain

QuoteEarlier this week, a couple in Colorado filed a class-action lawsuit against an eyewear chain they say gave them faulty eclipse glasses. Watching the moon’s spectacular crossing of the sun on Aug. 21 left them with distorted vision, according to their lawyer. A couple in South Carolina filed a similar lawsuit against Amazon in late August.

Tens of millions of eclipse glasses were sold ahead of the first total solar eclipse to cross the United States in nearly a century. And though no one has an exact tally, it’s clear that a significant portion were unreliable. Along with Amazon’s massive recall, there was the coffee chain that stopped trusting glasses gifted with lattes and the medical center that scrambled to locate shades distributed at the county fair. Even optometrists were getting duped.
"Enjoy the sunshy"

Intrepid reporter tracks down office of fake-eclipse-glasses-selling company...

ttf_robcat2075

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

215 Million Americans Watched the Solar Eclipse, Study Finds

QuoteIt estimated that 88 percent of American adults — about 215 million people — watched the solar eclipse, either in person or electronically.

That’s nearly twice the number of people that watched the Super Bowl last year. It’s almost 30 percent more Americans than participated in the presidential election last year...

The number of viewers represents a greater percentage of Americans than those that brush their teeth daily, and more than double the number that floss daily
ttf_robcat2075

Eclipse photos?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

215 Million Americans Watched the Solar Eclipse, Study Finds

QuoteIt estimated that 88 percent of American adults — about 215 million people — watched the solar eclipse, either in person or electronically.

That’s nearly twice the number of people that watched the Super Bowl last year. It’s almost 30 percent more Americans than participated in the presidential election last year...

The number of viewers represents a greater percentage of Americans than those that brush their teeth daily, and more than double the number that floss daily

Return to “Chit-Chat”