Jobs in Florida (in/around Orlando)

ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Attempting to get to the state where my boyfriend lives. The first step in doing that is to look for jobs in Florida, preferably near Orlando.

Ideally: I'd love an administrative arts job. Office/support type thing. Or anything involving the arts but that is not retail.
Secondary: Any type of administrative/support/office/organizational job.
Getting desperate: Any job that pays at least $10/hr and might add to my skills set.
Last resort: Anything that pays a living wage and that I can put on my resume without shame.

If any of you Florida peeps see anything of note, please send my way. You can email me directly if you like: [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].

Thanks.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How about working for The Mouse?  I'll bet there's more than a few administrative jobs there.  And you can fill in on one of the floats once in a while.  Meanwhile you can look at the local University circuit for adjunct teaching opportunities.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

**Ducks under table.**   Uh, substitute teaching pays more than $10 @ hour.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 17, 2017, 08:35PMHow about working for The Mouse?  I'll bet there's more than a few administrative jobs there.  And you can fill in on one of the floats once in a while.  Meanwhile you can look at the local University circuit for adjunct teaching opportunities.

Disney is actually not hiring much at all and hasn't been for some time. Over the past few years they've totally torn down and renovated the majority of the park to create Star Wars land and Avatar land. During that time all live entertainment has been outsourced to locals that they bring in for single gigs and events. In addition, you can't work at the corporate level for Disney until you've worked in the park for several years. Thanks though!

I do continue to check their postings daily. One of the more obvious ones to keep an eye on so I've really been checking their site since the circus closed in January. No luck so far.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on Aug 17, 2017, 09:13PM**Ducks under table.**   Uh, substitute teaching pays more than $10 @ hour.

Lol Image
I do not have a teaching certification and can't get one until I live in Florida. So even if I were considering this, I'd still need a job in the meantime.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Jhereg on Aug 18, 2017, 08:25PMLol Image
I do not have a teaching certification and can't get one until I live in Florida. So even if I were considering this, I'd still need a job in the meantime.

Seriously, look into this.  In New Hampshire certain specialties (Music being one of them) allow you to sub for 3 years while you take courses to meet certification.  Don't know if that's true in Florida as well.

Plus, you don't need a certificate to teach private lessons.

ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

THe Deland area is a wonderfull place to live. Check out Stetson University and the Museums here.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hillsborough County Public Schools (Tampa, FL)  substitute requirements:

An associate's degree or 60 college credits
Ability to read and write in English
Completion of an informational session on substitute teaching to be conducted on the day of your interview
Successful completion of a behavioral interview
$93.25 Money order made out to HCPS (for fingerprinting and retention)
Completion of online training through TeacherMatch® Smart Practices™
Completion of the mandatory employment orientation for substitute teaching with Kelly Educational Staffing
Direct deposit or pay on a payroll card
Flexible schedule to work same day assignments
Work four assignments every 30 days (during the school year, excluding June, July, August and December)

http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: AvgJoe on Aug 19, 2017, 09:35AMHillsborough County Public Schools (Tampa, FL)  substitute requirements:

Completion of an informational session on substitute teaching to be conducted on the day of your interview

She should be able to pull that off.  Image
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

If you're set on Orlando and your first priority is Arts Admin check the Orlando Phil and Dr Phillips Center for any positions there.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: Russ White on Aug 19, 2017, 05:43AMTHe Deland area is a wonderfull place to live. Check out Stetson University and the Museums here.

Cool! I just sent an application to Stetson last night!

Quote from: AvgJoe on Aug 19, 2017, 09:35AMHillsborough County Public Schools (Tampa, FL)  substitute requirements:

Completion of the mandatory employment orientation for substitute teaching with Kelly Educational Staffing
Work four assignments every 30 days (during the school year, excluding June, July, August and December)

Thank you! I will keep that area in mind. Requirements seem to vary for different counties from what I've seen. I have looked into this a little bit though not much...because to be honest...I have zero prior teaching experience and also frankly hate kids and don't think that I should be around them.

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Aug 19, 2017, 12:00PMIf you're set on Orlando and your first priority is Arts Admin check the Orlando Phil and Dr Phillips Center for any positions there.

Yep! I have done so and continue to check every day. Thanks!

I have a list of all public and private schools in Florida (not just Orlando) and check their job listings daily, same with orchestras/symphonies across the state. I am also applying to non-music jobs, "administrative assistant" wherever I see it. I have searches in indeed.com, orlandojobs.com, orange county.gov and other county job sites, musicalchairs.info, and tons more. I spend hours every night on this.

However I know that not all jobs show up in searches. That's why I posted here. If anyone comes across anything, by chance, that you think I'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if y'all would send it my way Image

I have had very little positive response from all of my applications. One thing that I'm discovering is that my resume is not "ATS Compliant": http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/applicant-tracking-system Apparently these days it is less important for your resume to stand out, and more important for it to fit a certain algorithm. And if it doesn't guess what: no interviews. I feel old.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: Russ White on Aug 19, 2017, 05:43AMTHe Deland area is a wonderfull place to live. Check out Stetson University and the Museums here.

Cool! I just sent an application to Stetson last night!

Thank you! I will keep that area in mind. Requirements seem to vary for different counties from what I've seen. I have looked into this a little bit though not much...because to be honest...I have zero prior teaching experience and also frankly hate kids and don't think that I should be around them.

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Aug 19, 2017, 12:00PMIf you're set on Orlando and your first priority is Arts Admin check the Orlando Phil and Dr Phillips Center for any positions there.

Yep! I have done so and continue to check every day. Thanks!

I have a list of all public and private schools in Florida (not just Orlando) and check their job listings daily, same with orchestras/symphonies across the state. I am also applying to non-music jobs, "administrative assistant" wherever I see it. I have searches in indeed.com, orlandojobs.com, orange county.gov and other county job sites, musicalchairs.info, and tons more. I spend hours every night on this.

However I know that not all jobs show up in searches. That's why I posted here. If anyone comes across anything, by chance, that you think I'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it if y'all would send it my way Image

I have had very little positive response from all of my applications. One thing that I'm discovering is that my resume is not "ATS Compliant": http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/applicant-tracking-system Apparently these days it is less important for your resume to stand out, and more important for it to fit a certain algorithm. And if it doesn't guess what: no interviews. I feel old.

Return to “Chit-Chat”