Bunker 2017

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good luck with the cyclone, Grah.  Looks like it's keeping to the relatively unpopulated North Coast.

And watch out for Cyclone/Taiphoon/Hurricane Bambi.  It's not as gentle as its name.
ttf_BillO

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Feb 19, 2017, 09:46PMIt seems to me that any familiar name, female or male, tends to make a cyclone sound like they really do have a friendly personality rather than just being a weather event that can be very dangerous.
Well, you probably want to save names like 'Armageddon' for those cat-4 or 5 storms.

Keep out of the rain down under!
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

For the time being Albert, the weather event in the Gulf of Carpentaria, has been downgraded back to a tropical low. But there are still severe weather warnings for coastal areas, which are expected to be impacted by damaging winds, with peak gusts to 100 kilometres per hour and heavy rainfall which may lead to flash flooding. And there is an increasing chance the tropical low will re-develop into a tropical cyclone on Sunday morning.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Quote from: bhcordova on Feb 20, 2017, 12:13PMPraying for the people of Australia who will be affected by this Cyclone.

Thanks Billy, but I think the similar tornados in your Texas have done more damage than Albert has - so far, anyway. I saw coverage of the American tornados in Texas on TV, which officials estimate damaged at least 150 structures, most of them homes in the San Antonio area, late Sunday and early Monday. I understand there were at least six tornadoes which touched down but thankfully no major injuries were reported from the storms.

Some bad news from Australia today where four US citizens lost their lives in the crash of a jet into a shopping centre in Essendon, Melbourne, Victoria. The pilot was also killed. The four on board were golfers on the trip of a lifetime and were flying out to an island for a game. This is Victoria's worst civil aviation accident in 30 years.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/five-passenger-plane-crashes-near-melbournes-essendon-airport/8288964

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/four-us-citizens-aboard-plane-that-crashed-at-dfo-essendon/8290598

Australians are extending our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who died in the crash.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Feeling sad today.  My dad passed away one year ago today.
ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: bhcordova on Mar 03, 2017, 07:03AMFeeling sad today.  My dad passed away one year ago today.

As best you can, remember the good times.  Be happy for what he meant to you (and others).

My father is still healthy, but my mother is starting to decline.  It is inevitable, but still not easy.
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Oh my goodness, the fundraising banner is gone!! *applause*
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Jhereg on Mar 08, 2017, 03:38PMOh my goodness, the fundraising banner is gone!! *applause*

Yeah.  Apparently Richard has checked in.  He hasn't been well these last couple of years, so I guess he should be forgiven.
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

I was rejected for the upcoming Sarasota audition based on my resume. Kinda bummed.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Jhereg on Mar 22, 2017, 01:50PMI was rejected for the upcoming Sarasota audition based on my resume. Kinda bummed.

Sorry to hear that.  You'll get the next one.  I'm sure. Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I haven't posted in the bunker before but small talk looks like it would fit here.
I am very excited, it looks as though I will be coming to live in America for two years! I took an audition for a school that covers all tuition costs as well as food and accommodation in L.A. and I got in! I will be sad to be leaving Melbourne for a couple of years but this will be a fantastic opportunity for my playing, and America is such an exciting place to be! Also looking forward to regular access to Dr. Pepper  Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Make sure to check thoroughly that you can obtain a visa. They have been very difficult to obtain of late, even for business and education purposes.

It is a long time back now but I lived in the US for a couple of years and I am sure you will have a great time. Aussies are very popular in the US, as indeed are Americans here. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Mar 22, 2017, 03:07PM... Also looking forward to regular access to Dr. Pepper  Image

Yeah, but our version of Foster's tastes like cat pee. Image

Good luck here.  Hope you get a lot out of your visit.

As long as you are not a Muslim, you should have no problems with visas.  Right now our Fearless Leader has an anti-Muslim bias. Image Image
ttf_BillO

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 22, 2017, 04:17PMYeah, but our version of Foster's tastes like cat pee. ImageYeah, Bruce has it right.  NA Fosters is just plain pooch urine.  Better to form an appreciation for Guinness.  You can always find a good pint of Guinness over here.

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 22, 2017, 04:17PMAs long as you are not a Muslim, you should have no problems with visas.  Right now our Fearless Leader has an anti-Muslim bias. Image Image
Just whistle the refrain from 'Waltzing Matilda' as you go through immigration.  As long as you don't sport a hijab, you'll waltz right trough.  Don't whistle 'Australia Fair', not many in the US know that one...
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Absolutely.  We think "Walizing Mailda" is the Aussie National Anthem.  I was there 25 years ago and learned the real National Anthem.  New Zealanders snap that only in Australia can you have a Waltz in 2/4 time Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Aside from exec order about Muslim countries, the main problem with visas for the US is qualifications. I am aware of some problems right now trying to get a visa for a businessperson because they have the wrong degree. Have a read of this website to make sure you qualify:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/au/au-niv-typework.asp

For most visas, your prospective employer, or agent, or whatever must file a petition, which must be approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States before you can apply for a work visa.

An E-3 visa is a special one for Aussies!
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

You know.... ive actually never had fosters! Because Melbourne is a bit if a hipster city we have micro brewerys everywhere making some pretty tasty beers! And having said that, I dont think ice ever seen a pub around here that even stocks fosters.... abd ive been to a lot of pubs!  Image

Graham, thanks for that info! Im getting on top of all this stuff now. The school is sending me a package with all the details about exactly how they want me to go about this stuff so hopefully i will have more info when that arrives.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

There is another tropical low brewing 600 kilometres north-east of the Queensland coast and it could make landfall early next week as a category three cyclone or higher. They usually do not affect us too badly this far South in Queensland. But it is not looking good if you live North of Mackay and right up to the Cape.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-24/cyclone-preparations-tropical-low-expected-strengthen-north-qld/8382734
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

This is one of the dangers of our typical cyclones in Queensland - Storm surge! Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-09/what-is-storm-surge-and-how-can-you-prepare/8123274
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

They have named the cyclone off the Queensland coast "Debbie" and evacuations have already been ordered because it is likely to be the most severe cyclone since Yasi in 2011.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-26/cyclone-debbie-bears-down-on-north-queensland-coast/8387472

ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Mar 25, 2017, 09:49PMThey have named the cyclone off the Queensland coast "Debbie" and evacuations have already been ordered because it is likely to be the most severe cyclone since Yasi in 2011.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-26/cyclone-debbie-bears-down-on-north-queensland-coast/8387472

Stay safe  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good luck, Grah.  Hope it doesn't affect you badly.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Debbie probably will not affect us this far South but those in the path will likely experience one of the worst cyclones of recent years. However, they have been given enough warning to at least make some reasonably preparations. Lots of sandbagging and battening down to secure outside articles that are likely to blow away and cause damage in a category four with 300Km/hr winds. Plus thousands of North Queenslander have and are being evacuated. It is likely to cross the coast in 24 hours, at 8am on Tuesday (Qld time).
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Updating on Cyclone Debbie at 8am Tuesday. It has not crossed the coastline as yet but the destructive forces are already being felt along the north Queensland coastline, with wind gusts hitting Hamilton Island off the Whitsundays "like freight trains" (260K/hr) and the streets of Bowen deserted ahead of an expected direct strike. 25,000 people have been evacuated from low lying areas.

Other fears are tidal surges and flash flooding. This will be particularly damaging to crops in the mainly agricultural area. The sugar cane would normally be harvested in June, if there is any left. Previously with Cyclone Yasi it was flattened. Power has already been cut to thousands of homes at Airlie Beach and they will not attempt to get it back until after the cyclone has passed. They do not send out repairmen, or even rescue staff when the storm is still being felt.

Debbie is not and probably will not affect us here in the Brisbane area (S.E. Queensland) and we are enjoying a late summer with temps around 30 degrees C and very calm winds. We have also had some badly needed rain and all the grass is looking very green. It is very rare for the cyclones to head in a Southerly direction. Not impossible though. Image

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The thing with cyclones, typhoons, and hurricanes, is that once they make landfall they lose strength very quickly.  I'm about 100 miles (160 Km) from the southern coast of New England.  We had a hurricane strike the south coast (through Long Island) and by the time it got here it was just a moderate wind storm with a lot of rain.  I would expect the same if the cyclone went ashore on the north coast and headed to Brisbane.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Yep, the danger is if it turns South and tracks over water before making landfall. They get their extra strength from travelling over warm water. I remember one really bad one that tracked right down the coast over water until it got all the way to New Zealand, where it created havoc.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Cyclone Debbie has made landfall between Bowen and Airlie Beach with destructive hurricane force winds up to 260K/hr.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/bom-warning-cyclone-debbie-hours-from-hitting-north-queensland/8391174
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Looks like it won't be too bad where you are, but it will go offshore again leaving Brisbane and may strengthen for a hit on Sydney.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Debbie crossed the shoreline as a slow-moving category four system earlier this afternoon and it will likely be downgraded tonight to a tropical low. There is a lot of damage to structures but we will not know how much until everyone comes out of hiding and the crews are allowed to go out and inspect. Certainly power and telecommunications are out in a lot of places and, going on past performance, it may take weeks to get them fixed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/cyclone-debbie-wind-speed-tracker/8392288

News about another disaster is that in test cricket, Australia has fallen short of retaining the Border-Gavaskar Trophy following an eight-wicket loss to India in the series finale in Dharamsala. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

But the cricket loss is not going to blow down your house.  Gotta keep perspective here, Grah.

On a similar front, the USA won the World Baseball Classic, beating perennial champs Puerto Rico.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Damage from Cyclone Debbie has cut all roads to the towns of Bowen, Airlie Beach and Proserpine including the main coastal artery, the Bruce Highway, and fears remain for the safety of people caught in the path of the category-four storm overnight. There is still no assessment of the extent of damage because the crews have still not been allowed out. However, we should get more news later this morning. Suffice to say that damage is extensive and has been compared to a war zone. and it will take a long time and be very expensive to clear up.

So far there have been no reports of loss of life, but it is early days with many places out of contact. It does seem that most people were able to make proper safety preparations. The big message from authorities is not to try and cross flooded rivers and do not go anywhere near fallen power lines. These have been the main killers in the past.

Hamilton Island is going to be evacuated because their water supply has failed and they are running out of the bottled water that most people stocked up on. Hamilton Island is a big tourist centre and there is going to be severe loss of income for the entire area of North Queensland.

The good news is that Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to tropical low. The bad news is that it is now headed towards Brisbane, as Bruce predicted, with heavy rainfall and strong winds, which should hit us sometime on Thursday night before heading back out into the Tasman. However, the heavy rainfall could be a blessing in disguise for the drought-declared areas it will pass over.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-29/cyclone-debbie-videos-show-rain-wind-lashing-north-queensland/8395588
ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Growing up on the immediate Gulf coast, I've always had a fascination with hurricanes and tropical storms. The sheer power and magnitude is incredible to witness. I've weathered a few 'rough' storms over the years, in the worst case we were without power/water for about a month, but I've always just seen it as the occasional price of the other bounties the coast provides. The worst part was always how much it affected the fishing!
ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Being from Florida, hurricanes are old hat. But, I experienced my first earthquake a couple of days ago here in Bali. We only had about a 1 minute tremor here in Ubud, but it was a 5.4 in Denpasar. Not a major quake by any means, and fortunately little damage and no injuries, but,.....DAMN, that was disconcerting.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The devastation in North Queensland is going to take a long time to clean up. Right now there are still rescue operations going on as people emerge from their places of safety. Water and Power are in short supply and flash flooding is occurring all over.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-29/cyclone-debbie-aftermath-gallery/8395494

Debbie has also got an unexpected sting in its tail. We have heard in the last half hour that all schools in Queensland have been closed. They are worried about flash flooding and heavy winds this afternoon when kids would normally be leaving school. They want to keep as many people, especially kids, off the roads. The problem is that the call was so late, many kids had already been dropped off at school. However, there will be minders at the schools to look after kids who can't get home straight away. The Police Commissioner has also requested that all businesses close at midday. This is totally unprecedented and smacks a little of panic by the Government and authorities. Mind you, I have got to tell you that it is already raining cats and dogs with a very heavy wind and they are expecting up to 400mm rain, similar to what happened up in Mackay.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-30/ex-cyclone-debbie-south-east-queensland-rain/8398980

ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Keeping all you Aussies in my prayers, Grah!
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Thanks Billy, Fortunately there is still no loss of life but thousand of people have been evacuated and it ain't over yet due to the effects of up to 800mm rainfall over 48 hours. We had a very windy and wet night here and there is extensive flooding right across South East Queensland, and now down into New South Wales. In the Brisbane area, since last night there have been over 100 swift-water rescues resulting from people's stupidity and putting an unnecessary load on the emergency rescue people.

Now we have major flood warnings for many of the local rivers including the Logan River. Logan is the next suburb to ours and there are mass evacuation orders in place. The peak will occur about lunch time today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/cyclone-debbie-bom-warnings-logan-jambin-evacuation/8403360

The Brisbane River is okay so far, which is good because it has been the major cause of flooding in the past.

The North of Queensland, where Debbie crossed the coast, is absolute devastation, with estimated damage costs running over a billion dollars.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/cyclone-debbie-airlie-beach-proserpine-locals-pull-together/8403684

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The scale of this unexpected disaster is absolutely huge. I did not expect we would be greatly affected here in South East Queensland, let alone the devastation that has now occurred down into New South Wales, particularly in places like Lismore.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/cyclone-debbie-northern-nsw-braces-for-major-flooding/8402830

Thankfully it is really calm here in the Redlands area now, especially where we are which is quite high. The winds have gone and the rain has stopped. I don't know how much fell locally because our rain gauge overflowed.

The scale of flooding and damage is unprecedented and much worse that 2011, which was the last cyclone that affected South East Queensland. Hardly anybody saw this sting in the tail would come from ex-cyclone Debbie. We are so lucky the Brisbane river is behaving itself this time.
ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

So glad the casualty count is so low, and that you have good fast water rescue teams. You can fix and replace things, but losing people can't be undone. Keep your head down. Or, up, or ....well, just be safe.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It is very calm in the Bay area of Brisbane and ex cyclone Debbie has now moved back out to sea. However, it is still affecting New South Wales, even down to the Central Coast, due to the very bad flooding. Unfortunately there are two deaths reported from NSW, one due to people driving across flooded causeways. The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) has now issued evacuation orders in Billinudgel, Ocean Shores and New Brighton. Lismore is an absolute mess due to the whole town being flooded.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-01/nsw-braces-for-another-day-of-devastating-floods/8406232

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The flooding caused by ex cyclone Debbie's rainfall turns out to be the worst of the story, right the way down into NSW where 30,000 people are still under evacuation orders:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-01/gallery-debbie-devastation-flooding-continues-nsw-qld/8406830

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Ex Cyclone Debbie has not finished with its destruction even now. It travelled down the Australian east coast and is now having a go at New Zealand. Thousands of people at the top of New Zealand's North Island have been told to evacuate as the tail end continues to batter the country, bringing heavy rainfall and major flooding.

The effects of Debbie are still being felt in Australia on Thursday, more than a week after it made landfall in Queensland. The storm system killed six people in Australia, smashing tourist resorts, bringing down power lines, and shutting down coal mines.

In Rockhampton, Australia they were expecting very heavy flooding today as the river reached its peak. Fortunately, it was not quite as high as expected and the town itself has been spared. Out of town there are many flooded houses and agricultural properties, with the various authorities still trying to help out and restore power to the region.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Do cyclones usually last this long?  I don't remember a single hurricane that lasted as a storm for more than 3 days after it made landfall.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The cyclones that make landfall on the East coast of Australia tend to do the same thing. After impacting, usually in North Queensland, they go inland for a bit and then turn South towards S. E. Queensland. Then they often go back out to sea and travel South regathering strength until they hit New Zealand. Debbie was a pretty big cyclone with the winds and rainfall covering a large part of Queensland. It was so big it could be seen from the space station.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/27/asia/australia-cyclone-debbie/

The other track that cyclones often take is West across the top of Australia and then down the West coast of Australia, often making landfall and causing the same kind of damage as Debbie in Western Australia. As a matter of fact there is a new one called Ernie going down the West coast right now but they do not expect it to make landfall.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Well, this cyclone season is definitely one of the worst. Now New Zealand is bracing for one that missed us but may be the worst storm since 1968 for the Kiwis. Emergency services are moving to evacuate seaside towns and close schools, while warning residents to reconsider their Easter holiday plans. Landslides, flooding and wind damage from 150kph gusts are expected. Airlines warn of "significant disruptions" with flight delays and cancellations.

This is all be caused by the tail wind of Cyclone Cook, which had killed one person this week in New Caledonia, and is expected to make landfall in New Zealand's North Island tonight.

So, wishing for the Kiwis that it will not be as bad as predicted and their Easter will not be ruined.

Meanwhile Australia is still cleaning up from cyclone Debbie, from which the flooding in Queensland seemed to go on forever.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wow.  And the New Zealand Brass Band Nationals are supposed to go on this weekend in Wellington.

Good luck to all our Kiwi friends.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Prayers going out to all who are/will be affected by this cyclone.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Another long weekend here in Queensland for Labour Day, which is on Monday. Image Not that public holidays make much difference for me these days, being mostly retired. Just the odd consultancy request.

On the tropical cyclone front, we have just been buzzed across the Top End by Cyclone Frances. Supposedly it is now headed away from Australia in a Westerly direction.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/cyclone-frances-packs-little-punch-for-darwin/news-story/9047785f3e251d0ab647c0173a52b4fa
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

I hope everyone is okay after the recent Tornadoes that have ripped through the US state of Texas, killing at least four people and injuring dozens of others.

Billie, I know it's a big state but did they come anywhere near you?

I also read there are severe storms in neighbouring states which left five people dead, including three people killed by flooding and winds in Arkansas, rushing water sweeping away a car and drowning a woman in Missouri, and another death in Mississippi.

Our thoughts are with everyone affected.

ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

No, Grah, they missed me.  They passed 50 miles north.  We had heavy winds that broke large limbs off several trees across the street from my house, though.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Glad you're safe. Your Tornadoes seem a lot fiercer than most of our Cyclones. Ours are a lot bigger in terms of area affected but they move slower which gives people time to prepare for the onslaught. Also our weather tracking people are very good at predicting where they will cross the coast. 

Return to “Chit-Chat”