Bunker 2017

ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Kinda comparing apples to oranges isn't it? I thought your cyclones were the same as hurricanes.
ttf_JohnL

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: MrPillow on Apr 30, 2017, 07:15PMKinda comparing apples to oranges isn't it? I thought your cyclones were the same as hurricanes.Typhoon, Cyclone, Hurricane  - same thing, but in different places. You'll hear tornadoes called "cyclones" from time to time in the USA (as in The Wizard of Oz), but that's not too common any more.

In some ways, tornadoes can be more dangerous, even though they're orders of magnitude smaller. The wind speed is higher, for one thing. Plus there is the sheer randomness of their path. We've got pretty good models for where hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons will go, but predicting when and where a tornado will touch down just isn't really possible today.
ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

I've weathered out multiple hurricanes, some right on the coast and some inland, some big and some small. I would take them any day over a tornado of any size.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

"The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs. ... Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places. In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used."

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/cyclone.html
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Apr 30, 2017, 10:53PM"The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs. ... Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places. In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used."

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/cyclone.html

Lest one forget the Coriolis Effect…also used in Artillery and extended Riflery solutions.
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

This is the last week of the Ringling Red Unit. eight shows/four days and we're done.

I just did an interview with the BBC in my train room. It was weird.

Hard to accept that in a few days this room I'm sitting in will be gone, and the people around me will have scattered to the winds. And a few weeks after that, no more Ringling at all.

Sorry to deviate from the topic of cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons...do emotional storms count?
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Yeah, emotional storms count.  Are you rotating clockwise or counterclockwise? Image

It's really sad to hear a 150+ year old tradition is going down the tubes.  I'll bet it was a great gig while it lasted.

Good luck with the BAC gig.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

This picture from space illustrates my point about our Cyclones being much bigger across and therefor affecting a much bigger area:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-29/cyclone-debbie-big-picture-view-from-space/8396684

But I still think those Tornadoes that hit Texas recently are much fiercer and more destructive over a small area.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A cyclone/hurricane/taiphoon has wind speed of around 100 km/hr to 200 km/hr.  The torando is only a half a kilometer in diameter but the wind speed can exceed 400 Km/hr.  Few structures can withstand wind that strong.  Also, the pressure in the center is so low that windows tend to burst outward as the storm passes.

ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Yes, certainly much larger than tornadoes. These large tropical systems are most impressive. I am glad I've never personally suffered any loss from them, save a few weeks without power here and there, but also glad I was able to witness some of them firsthand. Wow, what a sight. Two of them stand strong in my memory, as they were particularly vicious in my area. I tried to find a figure on the size of Debbie to give myself some sort of scale - a picture next to Australia only helps me slightly. Hurricane Rita in 2005 was the first of the 'bad' storms while I was in Texas, pounding into Houston with winds over 200km/h.

Then in 2008 came Ike. Ike was worse. Winds not as high, coming ashore at about 175km/h, but the storm surge and sheer size of the system were devastating. The barrier islands and immediate coast were under 22 feet of water.

For all the trouble they are, I do miss the excitement of a good coastal storm. Watching the ocean churn and the clouds roll in is a fantastic sight.
ttf_Lou Natunze

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Lou Natunze »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 31, 2016, 09:18AMGreetings, long-term Bunker residents and new TTF members!

This place is called "The Bunker" because here we can hide from the world and escape from reality, just for a little while. Please don't be shy, the Bunker is open to all, no dress code necessary. No dress necessary at all....

We're going in the Wayback Machine to 1912 aboard the RMS Titanic.

If we're in The Bunker, isn't that worse than travelling in Steerage ?

I mean we're being forced to shovel Coal all day to keep this beast running . . . .

DuPage County Register, 26 Apr 1912, Fri, Page 7

I've heard that Bunker #6 was the troublemaker !

Did an Untamed Coal Fire sink the Titanic?

ttf_Lou Natunze

Bunker 2017

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 02, 2017, 08:20PMEagles on this morning's walk.

I live on a lake about an hour south of Garrison Keillor's Mythical Lake Wobegon.

My  lake  is said to be 215 acres in area and it stretches out just a bit more than a mile.

Normally, winter's ice thaws out until it's just little klinkers that come ashore,

in our bay, all at once, on a Windy afternoon.

(  Nature's Music can be quite Beautiful ! )

Just a few years back, the spring thaw-out didn't proceed as it normally would.

About a third of the ice cover disappered.

The rest of the ice sheet seemed still solid enough for a man to walk on.

This is a shallow lake ( average depth 3 meters ) which has frequent freeze-outs of fish,

and that year was a real Doozey !

The appearance of a Bald Eagle is still a rare event in my neighborhood.

That year there were Six to Ten Bald Eagles  seemingly

Bivouacked at the edge of the ice,

doing what Fish Eagles do best,

but in quite a leisurely fashion.

They stayed several days.

I almost imagined them sharing miniature six-packs of Beer.

(  Well, normally, they probably lived in Mist County. )

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Nope, wrong kind of bunker. It is more like the Wikipedia description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunker

Also it is of very special construction with its own bar (the corner seat is mine!) and our own time machine stored in a lower lever for use by members. It has been around since the beginning of this forum, maybe even part of the predecessor but I can't remember if it was originally dug by rlb, Billy or RHM. Billy will know for certain.

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I think the first Bunker was set up by RHM.  But RLB was a frequent visitor.  I miss him.  And his fury green thong Image
ttf_Lou Natunze

Bunker 2017

Rascal that I am, I couldn't resist taking advantage of

the opportunity to feign offence on behalf of Sailors

everywhere who still 'Bunker Up' before they leave port

( even though their fuel now flows in through a hose ).

(( Not All Gathered Here know that Coal was stored onboard ships in Bunkers.

Many think of a Bunker only as an annoying hazard on a golf course. ))

And the article I linked to was almost printed on New-Year's Day !

Also, . . . , Page Two of this Skit was to involve some sort of joke about

Trombonists performing in Black-Face . . . and frequently Coughing.

( Coal is really Dark and Dusty, ya know ! )

Oh, and Hey !  We're in The Bunker--anything goes !

ttf_Lou Natunze

Bunker 2017

Earlier I snuck up to the Radio Room.

It seems they have a special transmission prepared for Tonight !

RMS Titanic "SOS"

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Lou Natunze on Yesterday at 06:55 PMEarlier I snuck up to the Radio Room.

It seems they have a special transmission prepared for Tonight !

RMS Titanic "SOS"

Was the guy playing two trumpets on a pogo stick there? Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Sad how the Bunker seems to have lost popularity. I suppose because most of the old inhabitants have left the forum.

I have not been posting on the forum myself for the last few days due the last Windows 10 update completely crashing my computer; to the extent I had to take it back to the shop I purchased it. I suppose the fact that my Toshiba laptop (but used as a desktop) is over five years old does not help, although the guy in the shop did say it was a very powerful piece of equipment. Anyway, $500 later I have it back with the data recovered, but not of course the programs.

As you can see, I have managed to get the Internet up, although not even close to the way it was previously setup. It is all making life very difficult, I can tell you, and I hate Microsoft for causing the problem in the first place. Although it does appear that there was a fault on the hard drive, according to the repairman.

It is now obvious to me that I am never going to understand the current methods of using computer programs, particularly not Microsoft operating systems and programs. I hope the younger people are able to use today's software because I find no logic in it whatsoever. I guess it has a lot to do with the I-pad/I-phone revolution, which mostly passed me by. Image

ttf_JohnL

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I was starting to wonder about you, Grah. Thought maybe you were on holiday...
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The lead role in British sci-fi television series Doctor Who will be played by a woman?  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jul 16, 2017, 03:46PMThe lead role in British sci-fi television series Doctor Who will be played by a woman?  Image

The Time Lord can assume any form after a Reorganization, so why not a woman?
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 16, 2017, 04:45PMThe Time Lord can assume any form after a Reorganization, so why not a woman?

Alien villain: "You're in such good shape."
(To alien crony):  "She's in such good physical shape. Beautiful."

Dr. Who: ...........................

?
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Australia is sending 50 firefighters to Canada to help battle the rapidly spreading wildfires in British Columbia that have forced 39,000 people from their homes. Canada and Aussie firefighting techniques are very similar and this may enable some of the Canadians to take a bit of a break.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/australia-to-send-firefighters-to-battle-wild-fires-in-canada/8721024

ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

That's excellent news. When we had our firestorms in Florida in 1998  I was able to volunteer here in the county where I live because Miami Beach, where I worked, was far from the affected area. I only worked with FF's from out of state who were sent to help out. No fire service can have the manpower and equipment to adequately fight massive wild land fires once they get going.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Image Richard  Image Image Image Image

I am so pleased to see that RLB's health has stabilized and he is back looking at bringing aspects of the forum up-to-date. See the header "It's that time again..."
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Well I have now been living in L.A. for several weeks now, and I am very much enjoying it! America is a lot of fun, just about everyone has been very friendly and the standard of playing at my school is very high across the board!
I have had several lessons and have taken a lot away from each one so far. I have also just had a successful audition for the American Youth Symphony which sounds like it will be a lot of fun to play in.

The main difference I notice in the states is the amount of food and drink you get in a single serving. The samllest size coffee at Starbucks is...... ridiculous. I cannot even imagine how I would feel drinking a LARGE size in one sitting. Same with soft drink actually  Image
Been to see the L.A. phil at the Hollywood bowl a couple of times which has been fantastic. I think I could get used to living in America!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you think they sound great in the Hollywood Bowl, listen to them in the Disney Auditorium Image

Glad you are making out here in "The Colonies".  Note that Los Angeles is in a desert, and droughts are common.  There was one for about 5 years that finally succumbed toa very wet winter.  Dry weather promotes wildfires and there is a big one near you.

I hope you find lots of playing opportunities.  There seems to be a big hub of music out there and no lack of great players.

Welcome to America! Image
ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Anybody got a cocktail? You don't realize how much crap you accumulate in your yard until hurricane season makes you pick it up and get it organized so it doesn't destroy the neighborhood. This was a long day, and tomorrow doesn't look to be any better. Did I mention the heat index is 105 degrees?
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

We are enjoying beautiful weather in Queensland at present and the arrival of Spring also heralds what used to be called the Strawberry Festival - our local agricultural show, when the Redlands was the Brisbane Salad bowl. Unfortunately they have turned it into a suburb of housing estates, mainly for people who work in Brisbane.

However, the event goes on and it is now called RedFest and is Redland City's premier music and cultural festival. It is a celebration of music, art, food and community on beautiful Moreton Bay. It features a lot of entertainment venues which allow the local bands to show off their stuff. Country music is really strong.:

https://redfest.com.au/

https://redlandcitybands.org.au/events/60/redfest/

They even continue to feature a strawberry eating contest, which is really fun for the kids. Not to mention a few gourmet(?) adults.

They do indeed still grow strawberries in the market garden farms that remain and you can get three large punnets for $5 in the local shops at present. Yum!!! Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Did you mean gourmet or gourmand? Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

A connoisseur of good food; a gourmet. I was merely querying the fact that eating a lot of strawberries would make you one. They look more like pigs at a trough when competing.

or 'gourmand', if you want to ignore common usage but, yes, probably a better description according to Wikipedia.

"The term gourmet can refer to a person with refined or discriminating taste who is knowledgeable in the craft and art of food and food preparation.

Gourmand carries additional connotations of one who simply enjoys food in great quantities. An epicure is similar to a gourmet, but the word may sometimes carry overtones of excessive refinement. A gourmet chef is a chef of particularly high calibre of cooking talent and skill."

Certainly not an 'epicure' anyway. Image
ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

Last spring, I thought for sure I'd be finding a different orchestra to play in this fall.  It would mean more driving, but musical satisfaction is important.  Then during the summer I got a message about the current orchestra's new director.  This was pretty exciting news.  I'd worked with this director before, and enjoy working with him.  This doesn't immediately fix all of my dissatisfaction, but I do look forward to a good semester of making music.  Hey I even had a full trombone section at our first rehearsal.
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

ttf_Zandit75

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Members list musings.

A grand total(at the time of this comment) of 19,047 members.
10,070 of which have not made a single contribution to a conversation - Zero posts.
In addition to this number, 5,556 members have made less than 10 comments.

Not really a point to this comment, just a curious thing I have found when on large forums like this!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sometimes I get a new application and it turns out the person already had an account approved and never logged in.

Sometimes it seems the Forum sends a welcome message to the new used and it goes into a spam folder and is never read or found.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Just back online after nearly a week without a computer. A Windows 10 update screwed it up once more. I think I will have to get more involved with tablets so that I have something to switch to when this computer goes down next time, as it surely will with the awful software available from Microsoft these days.

Luckily this fix did not cost me anything because it was still under warranty for the new hard drive I had to put in a couple of months ago.

Perhaps it is me that needs an update because I am too set in my old Microsoft desktop/laptop ways. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sorry about your computer woes, Grah.  I usually have several systems (all laptops) that I can just shuffle through.  Big problem is making sure to back up my personal files.  I try to keep them on one spare hard drive that I connect with a USB adapter.  Lately I've been playing with a tablet system for music.  I can't afford an I-Pad Pro, so I'm working with Lenovos.  I have an X220 that seems to be working although the wider format makes the pages just a little smaller.  Was worse on my 11 incher (I'm using it in Portrait mode).
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Windows 10 is going to solve everything, guys.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Sep 22, 2017, 04:52AMWindows 10 is going to solve everything, guys.

I hope that was sarcasm at work. Image

I keep hoping that the Linux flavors improve to the point that they can do Windows apps as well as Windows or better.  I miss OS/2, IBM's much improved version of Windows 3.1.  Wish we had an OS/x that works on Windows 10.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 22, 2017, 08:11AMI hope that was sarcasm at work. Image

I keep hoping that the Linux flavors improve to the point that they can do Windows apps as well as Windows or better.  I miss OS/2, IBM's much improved version of Windows 3.1.  Wish we had an OS/x that works on Windows 10.

Why does the word "Vista" pop up into my brain.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Ellrod on Sep 22, 2017, 09:30AMWhy does the word "Vista" pop up into my brain.

[Cross Icon]  [Garlic icon] Back, I say! Image
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 07, 2017, 07:04PMDid you mean gourmet or gourmand? Image

By strange coincidence, one of the clues in a crossword I was doing this morning was: "Lover of good food". So what do you reckon Bruce?
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Sep 25, 2017, 05:52PMBy strange coincidence, one of the clues in a crossword I was doing this morning was: "Lover of good food". So what do you reckon Bruce?

A gourmet is a lover of good food.

A gourmand just eats as much as possible.  Drinks plonk, eats junk food.  Just like me Image

I knew the difference.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The answer was as per your original suggestion and the proper dictionary definition: "gourmand". But I have to say that, although it was an Aussie crossword, I have never heard the word used in everyday conversation. It's always gourmet.
ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

One can be a gourmand gourmet, or a gourmet gourmand, but not every of either is both.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Entire office forgot my birthday yesterday   Image Image Image  Including the people there that I consider good friends.  Image Image Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

And so did we (sorry!).  Usually Christine posts a topic.

I usually prefer everybody ignore my birthday.  It just embarrasses me.
ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Quote from: bhcordova on Sep 29, 2017, 08:36AMEntire office forgot my birthday yesterday   Image Image Image  Including the people there that I consider good friends.  Image Image Image

Well, Happy Belated Birthday, my OLD friend. I hop this is your best year yet!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atZ0TF_ISMg
ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

Daughter has fall break this week.  She'd be eager to get home and see her parents right?  Wrong.  She took a bus to Pittsburgh to visit family, a third coast buddy, and see Pittsburgh Symphony play Shostakovich 5.  Priorities.

Return to “Chit-Chat”